Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wizard Spells by School

resources lists list lookatmeimuseful resource wizards wizard spells

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doubled resource cost for 'hostile' schools.

I kind of like this idea, and I think it would even be possible to implement, given that several non-wizard subclasses do similar things.

• InsaneCommander likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doubled resource cost for 'hostile' schools.

I kind of like this idea, and I think it would even be possible to implement, given that several non-wizard subclasses do similar things.

Yes, so much better than the current way.

Artaios

Artaios

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

The biggest problem, to my mind, is Enchanting: it has virtually all of the self-buffs, but very little else, so it's the school you can't afford to lose and will never want to specialize in. I'm tempted to say it should go entirely, with some other spell-shuffling besides, and the number of banned schools reduced to one. Hell, maybe drop Evocation too, and have a triumvirate of Spells What Summon Stuff, Spells What Change Stuff, and Spells What Deal In Intangibles.

Even the name "enchanting" bugs be to be honest.

Look at the DnD definitions of the schools:

Abjuration: Blocking, banishing, protecting

Conjuration: Producing things/creatures out of thin air

Divination: Understanding the past, present and future

Enchantment: Entrancing and beguiling people/creatures

Evocation: Harnessing the power of the elements

Illusion: Deception and trickery

Necromancy: Dealing with life, death and undeath

Transmutation: Changing energy and matter

It was sort of the "beguiling" school. In Deadfire, it's apparently the "enchant your own body parts" school.

I like the idea of a spell triumvirate (although I'd maybe make it: elemental, summoning creatures, weapons/buffs, as boring as that is). Or maybe base subclasses on something else entirely. Maybe make it a cultural thing. Like the Huana mages specialize in water spells (Tekehu's class), maybe you could have Aedyeran mages and Vailian mages with their own specialties.

That's an interesting perspective. I personally never played any DnD and have been thinking along the lines of Elder Scrolls and other games where you enchant equipment. Which, to be fair, is also called that in PoE (when you enhance, customize your weapons and armor).

Edited by Artaios, 19 August 2018 - 08:49 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resources, lists, list, lookatmeimuseful, resource, wizards, wizard, spells

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users