Evil Players - How do manage Companions?

Well they are goody-two-shoes for their respective factions. I'd assume doing something evil for the opposing faction will not tick them off. Serafen only hates slavery, but he will happily help Principi and do evil stuff for them. Maia is a cold assassin, and Xoti can be turned murder hobo. I think the only genuinely good companions are Tekehu and Eder.

I think the key would be to rotate the team according to what sort of acts you do towards which faction.

• Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Well they are goody-two-shoes for their respective factions. I'd assume doing something evil for the opposing faction will not tick them off. Serafen only hates slavery, but he will happily help Principi and do evil stuff for them. Maia is a cold assassin, and Xoti can be turned murder hobo. I think the only genuinely good companions are Tekehu and Eder.

I think the key would be to rotate the team according to what sort of acts you do towards which faction.

Hell, Eder even seemingly approves of you killing Benweth, going Predator on his skull, and mounting it in your cabin. And I do seem to recall a few places where picking the MURDER EVERYONE choice. 

I do know that I got a dialogue with Eder fairly early on when I picked a few 'evil' choices (Robbing the Dawnstars on Ilonet's Pass). Basically he just says "Hey, so, you're acting like a real jerk, what's up with that?/I didn't come here to hurt people" and your response ranges from "You're right, I'm losing sight of who I am" to "I've done really messed up things throughout the first game, where were you?" to "THIS IS WHO I AAAAAAAM!" Not sure about Tekehu. 

• Like 1

I think Deadfire is all about exploring how people, factions and even the gods are not simply good/evil. So if you want to go "full evil" is kind of hard, but you can most definitly be a cruel son of a bitch and make Xoti go nuts with the souls and bring Serafen (smooth nice guy, but pirate) and Maia (very subjective to political views) along. But I wish Deadfire had a 100% nuts companion in a future DLC.

• Like 4

I think Deadfire is all about exploring how people, factions and even the gods are not simply good/evil. So if you want to go "full evil" is kind of hard, but you can most definitly be a cruel son of a bitch and make Xoti go nuts with the souls and bring Serafen (smooth nice guy, but pirate) and Maia (very subjective to political views) along. But I wish Deadfire had a 100% nuts companion in a future DLC.

You either have a bunch of insane, evil or shady companions or you end up having that companion being benched by most people if not out right deleted (killed) from the game. 

Although Verse from Tyranny is a great anti-hero companion though. I guess Maia is a tone down version of her.

Edited by VillageIdiot

All the companions seem to have a very strong moral compass, though.  They all want to do "the right thing" in the end.  It's very annoying.

Well, it seems almost everyone in Eora wants to do "the right thing". Even Thaos thought he was doing "the right thing".

• Like 3

All the companions seem to have a very strong moral compass, though.  They all want to do "the right thing" in the end.  It's very annoying.

Well, it seems almost everyone in Eora wants to do "the right thing". Even Thaos thought he was doing "the right thing".

Yes, everyone wants it. They would be a bunch of bffs, except for the fact that each person has a different definition of "the right thing". ;)

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Yes, everyone wants it. They would be a bunch of bffs, except for the fact that each person has a different definition of "the right thing". ;)

This. A lot of really awful people believe they're doing the right thing and that's common both in game and in the real world. And in those stories they're the hero. I won't shoot specific politics into the forum but it's safe to say we've had people who thought they were "heroes" on every political plane imaginable.

Obsidian has always tried, at least in my mind to have their characters try and justify their behavior which is something the average video game villain doesn't do. Take Caesar in New Vegas for instance. I find him repulsive but at least he explains why he does the things he does. That's a far cry from the mustachioed villains of the past.

Is moral nuance always necessary? Not really. I doubt many people play Zelda games because they want a Heart of Darkness experience. Killing Ganon because he wants to rule the world is enough motivation for me but then again Zelda really isn't out to pose moral questions.

Yes! We have no bananas.

This. A lot of really awful people believe they're doing the right thing and that's common both in game and in the real world. And in those stories they're the hero. I won't shoot specific politics into the forum but it's safe to say we've had people who thought they were "heroes" on every political plane imaginable.

Obsidian has always tried, at least in my mind to have their characters try and justify their behavior which is something the average video game villain doesn't do. Take Caesar in New Vegas for instance. I find him repulsive but at least he explains why he does the things he does. That's a far cry from the mustachioed villains of the past.

Is moral nuance always necessary? Not really. I doubt many people play Zelda games because they want a Heart of Darkness experience. Killing Ganon because he wants to rule the world is enough motivation for me but then again Zelda really isn't out to pose moral questions.

I agree, it's much better when the villain is trying to justify their acts. Maybe they really believe they are doing something right or they don't but they insist on it to avoid feeling guilt. Either way it's better than a random guy who wants to conquer the world or worse.

• Like 1

sign.jpg