Petition - Do we want to see the game made harder on POTD on the late levels? Please voice your concern here

Honestly, after playing the challenges, and doing solo runs, gonna have to say... the games pretty balanced. Some enemies have infinite skills, some enemies just jump on you even if you have an army of summons, they do the 1 boom boom combo on you, and GG time to restart. (Note again, I'm playing challenges, meaning I can't escape and reset fights, this means if the game glitches you can't regenerate any resource unless your a monk cypher, or chanter and you will be forced to keep fighting till everythings dead)

I feel if your playing with a party, it will always end up being easy mode. I literally tried a chanter party, game got boring after 5 seconds of using it. Then I tried a Solo Holy slayer ( no challenges, on POTD) You can literally just pick at everything, kill something instantly, stealth, rinse and repeat until enemies are all dead, whats that? a super hard boss? Gouging Strike, and Brand Enemy.. nuff said. Just sit in a corner, sip a cup of tea, and play your classic music while the enemies die in agony.

Edit

The ONLY way this game will  be better is if they improve the AI, look at the beast of winter, atleast the enemies are using potions. They could do that for all enemies (not all), and they could let enemies use poisonss, bombs, everything under the sun. Thats how you make a super challenge.

Edited by Elizer

Ai can allways be improved but i think they have allready acheived peak performance witn it. Cant see them writing a new game

Engine 4 months after the game has released.

Simply put we are not going to see significant improvements to the games ai imo

Edited by Teclis23

Thats the thing. As far as i can see right now, all they seem to be doing is adding extra mobs, and increasing power level of enemy skills, but its honestly still the same strategy. Thats not really challenging, thats just extra time to burn.

Just like Boeroer mentioned, we can only look forward for better DLC's. Unless they rework each fight to make them more memorable.

My perspective ATM, don't hate the game, hate the playerrr.. Maybe the players are just too skilled, that the game feels too easy. They should honestly work on the bugs instead. I hate dieing in trial of iron because my stealth won't let me stealth, or my chanter wont generate phrases randomly, and those random moments where your character says he will cast something, but he never attempts it.

They can make the game more difficult without going anywhere near the AI

Look at gorrecci st. That fight is hard I’m sure they can do a late level equivalent of gorreci

I don't find it that hard, you can also just skip it and go straight to the quest.

It's pretty easy to single out enemies. I use a special technique I don't see people talking about much. I call it the baited technique 

Place a trap in a position where atleast 1 enemy can hear it, and will walk to the sound of the trap, and you can chain this to lure them to a secluded spot where you can just butcher them 1 at a time.

The only fight's I find hard is the random small space encounters, with the enemies that for some reason have infinite dash abilities (I play solo) and they will always jump on you, and do a auto crit and murder you. Not to mention theres like 20 of them (exaggerated)

Look at gorrecci st. That fight is hard I’m sure they can do a late level equivalent of gorreci

And you can avoid GS completely. I don't think, there will be ever a achievement for GS. It's no bounty or anything.

And you can avoid GS completely. I don't think, there will be ever a achievement for GS. It's no bounty or anything.

Yeah, you don't even get anything worthwhile

DOS2 did not have any "significant overhauls". All of their gameplay changes combined so far change less than Pillars did with the first major patch. This might not be the case with Definitive Edition, but if it's the same as the first DOS, it will be a different game in your Steam library and will not affect the original in any shape or form. It's pretty cool when the devs don't force you into an overhaul of their initial release :]

In my statement I said the overhaul was indeed the Definitive Edition. This edition exists entirely because people were unsatisfied with parts of a a game. An entire chapter has been entirely overhauled. A new difficulty has been added. Characters have been remixed etc. The only reason the "original" game exists is because purists would no doubt complain that it was missing.

Ergo my statement about Pillars remains prescient. DOS2 didn't magically fix itself in accordance to criticism overnight. It took a LONG TIME. And the older, outdated and less likely to be supported will fall to the wayside. People act as if Josh Sawyer is the genie from Aladdin who can fix things after a wish and musical number. It's simply not possible to make changes in accordance to everyone's wishes.

"You ain't never had a dev like me!"

• Like 3

Yes! We have no bananas.

It sounds like what is good about Pillars right now is all the ways you can play and will be able to play - what's not good is the drop off at higher levels.  I do remember people saying when the new PoTD balance came out that it seemed like they only really did it for the first half of the game.  So I'm not giving up on the Obsidian until is all said and done.   I don't care if they fix the bugs first and wait to do a final balance after all the DLCs come out, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it.

Maybe ... after reading the last few comments, maybe they did it like they did in anticipation for the challenges (just a question - not trying to make a definitive statement)?   Even if that is true would still like to see the drop-off in difficulty lessened on normal PoTD with a party and no mods, I would also argue they won't get rid of it completely, no game ever does.

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I think most things that i would like to see have already been mentioned here:

- Better AI that uses skills/spells more efficiently (especially Mages)

- Enemy Prebuffs (!)

- Give at least bosses the ability to see through invisibility (no resets)

- Lesser quest XP (like in DD Mod)

- Improved Level-scaling for enemies (again DD Mod)

- Limit the availability of consumables

- Make it harder to pick up high tier weapons/armor

- Enable even lesser enemies to use some high level abilities (PotD only)

- Potions and/or Scrolls for more enemies

- Improved Call for Help (Splittpulling is still too easy)

- Give specific enemies the ability to instakill summons (this is for you Chanters!)

- A reworked AR/PEN system (!)

- What about enemies with level draining or instakilling abilities?

Looks like i have played too much BG no? ;)

Edited by Harpagornis

I would like them to tune back the increased AR in PotD. It shifts the balance heavily to high PEN weapons and PEN abilities and items which limits viable character builds. Let them have more health, defenses, accuracy, abilities, scripting and AI - but don't touch PEN and AR. It totally messes up class and item balance.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah i really dont like the current pen vs AR system

It just doesnt feel right at all when you play the game . It is just a too dominant game mechanic that sets the tone for most combat encounters. Every encounter the first thing i check is the enemies AR and every encounter is to much about beating there AR.

The old system they used in the first game was far better

Edited by Teclis23

The old system they used in the first game was far better

And it could have been much improved. There was lvl 7 spell giving same amount of DR as lvl 2 spell. Madness. Weapons enhancements were giving % bonuses while armor enhancements - flat. There's more but i don't feel like posting about it ATM.

Old system also gave advantage to 2H weapons as bigger DPH were better at going through armor. Advantage 2H wepons apparently need. Obs added +1 PEN to 2h which is not surprising as % damage reduction needs armor penetration mechanics to fix its flaws.

Oh and one more thing - armor in PoE1 was weak vs huge DPH attacks like dragon's breath but that's actually the reason Adra Dragon battle was so good even RPG Codex liked it. You couldn't just facetank her.

OEI could even copy New Vegas: armor was mostly absolute (think DR) but temporary bonuses (drugs in F:NV) could give % reduction. But no, "let's do something new, surely we can't go wrong!".

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

This wouldn't be a problem if they futureproofed the game. Which there'd be no excuse for not doing, since they knew they'd be making DLC right from the figstarter.

My own suggestion would be to remove the level cap, have a little text indicator when you reach a power level above 9, and let enemies scale up infinitely

• Like 1

It's still unbelievable to me that for a month now the game has had a bug where you can't fight the end boss. Yeah if there's anyone who can work on fixing bugs right now it would be insane to have them doing anything else. Maybe have a guy take a day to double the damage of higher level enemy attacks and add some new abilities for them to use

I haven't read up about it, but I'm pretty sure this bug has a trigger. Sometimes the boss shows up. Sometimes he does not. I think last time I skipped him, I charged straight ahead into the storm and ignored everyone else.

Currently what bugs me (ha!) the most is the disappearing point of interest that allows me to leave the location. Recently I've had a very unpleasant Neketaka experience in which I was struggling to get out of buildings and change zones :/