For my latest playthrough I have been running Aloth as a Spellblade with only one weapon. He seems to crit a lot and I know I could make a PC that would be even more effective. Has anyone tried a one-handed crit build on any class or combo of classes? Is it worth it?

Scordios Trophy with modal is a strong one handed style weapon.

Pukestabber is another one vs certain enemies.

Last word hammer shuts down abilities for enemies on crits, great vs bosses. Concelhaut cries vs last word on a Berserker/Devoted or ranger/monk for example

Handmortar one handed style with stunning surge work great as I showcase on "The Howitzer" build.

Those are the ones I can think of right now

Edited by Dorftek
  • Like 1

Grave calling looks like it could work with a one-handed build. You could ramp up the bonus faster, then get paralyze on crit. Scordeo's edge on a monk should be decent because of all the accuracy. I haven't tried sun and moon, but it looks like it could be really strong on a crit build for a monk too. Stalker's patience as well, though not perhaps not as strong as the previous two.

Griffin's Blade has a 50% chance of AoE daze on crit and daze is very powerful, but it has no other offensive stats, except for the spell damage on a caster. It would probably need a very specialized build to make sense.

Edited by grasida

One-handed pistol + modal is pretty decent. Not really a crit build since you lose 3 ACC, but you gain 20% hit-to-crit conversion which makes up for it and gain 50% recovery speed.

I guess with Priest/Streetfighter (for the very long blooded state) you might be able do great things with it since you will add +100% crit damage and another 50% recovery speedup.

Or using a ranger with Driving Flight/Twined Shot and Eccea's Arcane Blaster for amazing and rapid multishots?  

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm testing some builds so far. My base assumptions are:

1) use 1h style, and try to build a char in a way that 1h style is superior to dual wielding

2) the class that get more from 1h stile ( hence a "crit build" ) is the monk, since between swift flurry and heartbeat drumming you have ~50% chance to get a new attack after a crit ( and this can chain multiple times)

3) build thinked with solo/potd in mind, no team support

So far i tested:

- devoted / monk : max per & dex, 14 con, 5 res. 25% hit to crit conversion from disciplined stikes, awesome tankyness (refreshing defense, unbending (shield), rapid recovery), +20% crit dmg ( devoted), + 10 acc from conqueror stance ( enanched). Spear is the weapon of choice, the better one is stalker patience for the 20% chace to 0 recovery on crit. There is another one that deals pierce/slash for pierce immune foes ( you still have fists anyway). Works very good and feels very solid. I have tried also the hellwalker version, but actually i have not felt bigger changes from ingame battles ( is a bit more fragile and deal a bit more dmg, but nothing spectacular)

- monk/streetfighter : here we can stack abusurd amounts of dmg (sneack attack, deathblows,ecc), so we can even dump str since we need higher cons, if we want to capitalize over heating up and on the edge. Human is race of choice. Since we are not devoted we can pick a lot of different weapons : stalker patience as weapon of choice, rapiers for very high deflection enemies( modal for another +20 acc), last word for spell caster bosses. As a rogue you get easy access to perception affliction ( persistent distraction, blinding strike), so you can use thaos helm (+5 acc on flanked) to boost your accuracy. You will have sligh less base accuracy than devoted version, but automatic flanking and +10 accuracy from some stike abilities gives even you more.

- pure monk / paladin/monk / berserker monk: not tested yet

Has anyone tried a one-handed crit build on any class or combo of classes? Is it worth it?

Haven't tried yet, but was thinking about it.

1H style can be nice on a skald (that doesn't have full-attacks) or a character that is built around weapons or abilities with onCrit effects. Like Dorftek already mentioned the Stunning Surge with Hand Mortar; or for example with Kalakoth's Minor Blights.

On a multi-classed skald with cheap full-attacks though, I would still consider dual-wielding accurate weapons.

- Full-Attack with 1H rapier: 0.5s (attack) + 3.0s (recovery)

- Full-Attack with rapier (with modal) in MH + dagger/club in OH: 0.5s (mh attack) + 0.5 (oh attack) + 2.1s (oh recovery)

Instead of 1 hit (with +12 acc and +20% hit-to-crit conversion) in 3.5s, you make 2 hits in 3.1s: 1 hit (with +20 acc) and 1 hit (with +0 acc).

One-handed pistol + modal is pretty decent. Not really a crit build since you lose 3 ACC, but you gain 20% hit-to-crit conversion which makes up for it and gain 50% recovery speed.

I guess with Priest/Streetfighter (for the very long blooded state) you might be able do great things with it since you will add +100% crit damage and another 50% recovery speedup.

Or using a ranger with Driving Flight/Twined Shot and Eccea's Arcane Blaster for amazing and rapid multishots?  

I haven't checked pistols for some time ... but is the recovery/reload cap bug for pistols fixed in the current state of the game?

see: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98617-bug-attack-frequency-on-guns-capped-at-36-sec/

The “problem” with single weapon style on monks is you can’t use it with your fists. Streetfighter/ monk probably isn’t better off with single weapon style because the massive damage to sneak attack boost will push fists ahead just about any weapon because of their higher base damage. I’ve done a fair bit of number crunching and with the right weapon, single weapon style will beat dual wield on a monk, assuming no full attacks, as long as you aren’t getting too many damage boosts from you other class. So maybe it’s a good choice for an ascendant, possibly a brawler or maybe a caster multiclass.

Given that there are a lot of these threads, it’s clear not a few people want to try this kind of build. I wish obsidian would improve single weapon style a little bit and fix full attacks for the people who like fancy duelist crit builds.

I haven't checked pistols for some time ... but is the recovery/reload cap bug for pistols fixed in the current state of the game?

see: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98617-bug-attack-frequency-on-guns-capped-at-36-sec/

Yes, it works like it's supposed to for some time now.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just use your one-handed fists as a monk and you’ll be good.

I feel like this is a crass joke but I can't figure it out >_>

Not everything I say is a joke... I think...

To actually provide a build, though, I suggest using rogue/monk with scordeo’s edge (Chance at no recovery for 5 seconds is stronk). You get access to monk’s dance of death for accuracy/wounds and thunderous blows for le extra might and penetration (Swift strikes/flurry too). Rogue provides a fair amount of damage skills along with deep wounds which is super good if you’re constantly critting.