Is Aloth Nigh Impossible To Please?

I actually had an easy time making Aloth happy. He still took longer to befriend than everyone else, but that seems somewhat fitting.

For me, I think it was three factors :

*I started after some patches so I don't think I had as many companion glitches with reputation.

*A lot of joke comments make you sound like you don't care /are irresponsible. My character usually wouldn't crack jokes, unless they were very harmless or in spite of absolute ****, so I dodged all the irresponsibility checks that hurt reputation with Aloth.

*My character was very very pro autonomy and 'dutiful.' Which works well with anti leaden key Aloth. So saying things like how you *have* to help if you can and worrying about people in need give solid reputation boosts. One thing that struck me is you can argue with the Rauatai multiple times about the Huana' 's culture and future and basically take the stance that they have a right to decide where their lives and forming nation go, and that gets points with Aloth.

• Like 3

Actually, with new reputation tracking system it is now pretty easy to get him to rep 2, just gotta avoid choosing dialogue choices he doesn't like. My watcher is mostly a world-weary joker who only gets serious when it matters and I still can steadily get him to 2 in the first third of the game now. He certainly is a late bloomer, but nothing too hard. For anti-Leaden Key Aloth just keep an eye on dutiful responses, be kind, support autonomy and independent thinking in npcs (and leave sea monsters in scripted interactions alone) and don't indulge in any of Tekehu's and Serafen's boastful shenanigans.

• Like 3

He’s really not too hard to please. I’ve had far worse a time getting Pallegina to 2 and keeping Xoti at 2 then getting/keeping Aloth there.

He’s into dutiful responses big time and these tend to be hidden behind responses that help others, self sacrifice/defense of crew/companions, and classic “hero” responses.

He’s not completely averse to joking/clever responses. It’s very dependent on context. My Watcher is full clever and only loses rep occasionally because of it.

He hates Serafen and Takehu. That’ll never change, though he can be called out on it, which was nice.

Irresponsible dialogue and pride are his biggest pet peeves. So overconfidence, anything to do with brothels and prostitutes, and bragging of any sort really.

• Like 1

Aloth is easier to get if you take on the mindset of a rational and professional senpai that he looks up to. Especially more so if you decide to romance him where being smothering and clingy will make him uncomfortable.

Him and Pallegina seem rigid mostly in part that most of the companions in deadfire are more aligned to a lighthearted watcher.

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

It's worth noting that a paladin Watcher will have a slightly easier time of getting him to +1 than others. When you report to Clario over on Port Maje, there's a paladin-only response that he likes a lot. That, combined with good choices in the Port Maje and post-Port Maje talks, will put him well on his way to +2.

Food for thought.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Now when you can see reactions, it is indeed easy to game him into approval. Thing is...now I don't wanna to.  8) So for any subsequent play-through I'll still stick with my easy going (and easy) dudes Serafen and Tekehu and let Rolleyes seethe in his own sour'n'dour marinate. 

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 2

Aloth is such a weiner He always needs the Watcher's guidance. He's like the friend who always criticizes you then secretly asks you what to do.

I think that goes for the majority of the companions, not only in this game but in other rpgs too. It's sort of a staple for the player character to solve all the game's problems from mundane to world changing, while npcs just sit around waiting for the hero to involve himself.

But still, it's true that Aloth is still rather unsure of himself and needs guidance in life. Good for him though, because if the Watcher doesn't help him he only does something stupid and gets himself killed. Here's hoping that there will be a sequel with Aloth in it, so he can be given another chance to finally grow some balls and find his place in the world.

• Like 2

True. One nice thing about the game is that it doesn't lock you out of content because you have negative disposition with the companions. They will still talk to you and have different reactions. When you equip a magic item on Aloth with negative disposition he will say "This doesn't change anything between us". Small touches like that :D

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Ugh I thought they patched Aloth to make him more approachable. I've laid off the game for months now to try and out wait the bugs and issues. Guess I'll just forgo the ach and install the mods again. Seriously, he wasn't a retentive curmudgeon in the first game, and there's no reason for him to get shirty at you every time you open your mouth, especially if you carried over a save where your watcher helped him at every turn. He's NOT a stranger, so why is he suddenly acting more pernickety and distant than when he first met the watcher. Makes no damned sense and it's really disappointing. I just lost all my hard earned rep because one of the PARTY MEMBERS (not even the watcher!!!) made a flippant comment to another NPC. 😒

7 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

Good necro, I think they did patch him. I was never able to say anything to please him before. But in my recent PTs He's at 2 approval.

Oh Hel, this is the new and improved version?? uuugh good to know, thanks!

I wasn't sure how he was before because on my last playthrough (just after launch) I had the bug where everyone was getting everyone else's rep so Aloth was -2 before I even got the ship, and I had everyone except xoti angry with me before I even hit Hasongo lol.  😟 Xoti for some reason wanted to get in my Watchers pants 3 seconds after they met! It was a fiasco 😳

7 hours ago, AeonsLegend said:

Aloth enjoys you being kind and dutiful is what I found.

Mmmm so sayeth this companion window... my idea of "kind and dutiful" is apparently vastly different from his though... I pick the kind and dutiful options (to me) and he rolls his eyes and carries on as if I'm wasting everyone's time and butting in where I shouldn't! 

He honestly reminds me of my cat when she's having a particularly angry day... No matter what you do, it's a coin toss whether she purrs or pees in your shoe and walks off in a snit. 🤣

It would be nice if there was some indicator on the conversation options *stating* when an option fitted one of the criteria, and which one it fits with. 

Edited by Noctoi
elaboration

Well you can always save and retry. Right now i feel there's more options he agrees with than before. He doesn't like tomfoolery. So anything that has the joke clever or whatever is a no go for him in most cases. He likes to be serious and devoted to his cause and appreciates those that are as well. If you pick the benevolent options then there are many cases now where he gains approval. Also the Passionate disposition is something that he enjoys if it's dutiful. So answers that have you stay on your course and focus your goal. He dislikes shady and dishonesty as well as cruel.

Edited by AeonsLegend

Just in case: Aloth still has only 2 dispositions that he approves, in v5.0.

So:

• Aloth approves 2; disapproves 3
  • Eder approves 5; disapproves 3
  • Maia approves 5; disapproves 2
  • Pallegina approves 4; disapproves 3
  • Serafen approves 4; disapproves 2
  • Tekehu approves 6; disapproves 2
  • Xoti approves 4; disapproves 3

P.S. But there is a mod that adds 2 extra (and lore-friendly) dispositions for Aloth to approve: link

• Like 2

Thanks! I have hit the point that I don't care about the achievements anymore, so I'm happy to look into mods to make him more reasonable and frankly more like he was in POE:1. I uninstalled them not long after they went live, because I was trying to get all the ach's but I just want to enjoy and finish the game these days. I lost track of the mod, so thanks for linking, I've installed it again 😄

I just built a new machine, so all my beloved mods are gone *sigh*. I'm on the hunt for all my old favourites for DA:O as well. Didn't think to transfer the game files since most of my games are online these days, and I have well and truly learned from my mistake. 😭