Cant kill the beast of winter dragon at end of DLC any tips?

Fighter/Pally

Equip: Horns of The Bleak MotherRing of Focused Flame 
Weapons: Rust's PoignardBeza's Toothed Blade

Paly/Chanter

Weapon: Magistrate's Cudgel (Mace Modal) + Shattered Vengeance (Use Club modal to reduce dragon will)

Monk/Rogue 

Weapon: Sun and Moon (Modal)

This setup with flanked status will reduce dragon armor by 4 and make all your character ~+20 - 35 acc (+40 to main), feel free to constantly interrupt it with monk/rogue

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Is level scaling on or off? With it on she seems to be like 6 levels higher than your party. 

The worst part from my memory were the 2 LLengrath's safeguards she can cast. If your wizard can nullify those you'll have a better time. 

I, being brilliant, didn't bring a wizard.  :banghead:

Also summon everything you can. Every little bit helps. Especially if she starts healing. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Each one clocked in at about 84 seconds for me. 170 seconds of no damage, using up my heals was impossible to recover from. 

I don't know what items have arcane cleanse or the like on them. If I did I would have used them. Maybe you have a grimoire with something like that in it? 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Each one clocked in at about 84 seconds for me. 170 seconds of no damage, using up my heals was impossible to recover from. 

I don't know what items have arcane cleanse or the like on them. If I did I would have used them. Maybe you have a grimoire with something like that in it? 

Ranger can reduce buff duration

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Neriscyrlas also has Cloak of Death, which can be dangerous for your melee guys when she gets it up.

But here's how to turn it back on her; get Aloth, have him learn Arcane Reflection, cast that when she casts Cloak of Death, and then have him hit the dragon with a melee weapon.

Yeah, Cloak of Death does reflect and vanish + damage Neriscyrlas when that happens. :grin:

• Like 2

its ok did it

MAn took me over 15 goes i reckon

I did it by :

- you get a helmet called horns of the aurchocs that prevents all pull weapons, i gave this to my ranger who had the red hand and focus fired him with that

- ranger using consussive tranq

- my wiz had a spare necklace of fireballs thankgod (dragons only low save was reflex)

- both ranger and wiz ran back to the kings +50% damage buff whenever it came up

- cipher landed some disintegrates

Never thought i would say it but my ranger saved the day

By far hardest fight in both pillars 1 and 2

by far

and no joke another 10 seconds and i would haven been dead had only 2 people standing left

Edit

Without the red hand arquebus this fight would have been muuuuuuuuch harder.

Edited by Teclis23

its ok did it

MAn took me over 15 goes i reckon

I did it by :

- you get a helmet called horns of the aurchocs that prevents all pull weapons, i gave this to my ranger who had the red hand and focus fired him with that

- ranger using consussive tranq

- my wiz had a spare necklace of fireballs thankgod (dragons only low save was reflex)

- both ranger and wiz ran back to the kings +50% damage buff whenever it came up

Never thought i would say it but my ranger saved the day

By far hardest fight in both pillars 1 and 2

by far

and no joke another 10 seconds and i would haven been dead had only 2 people standing left

Edit

Without the red hand arquebus this fight would have been muuuuuuuuch harder.

Doubt. You did the hard fights in PoE 1 with max level. You had not even PL6 with Level 15, so you should try that fight with Level 20 again sometime.

• Like 1

It depends on your gear and party composition really. If you have "legendary" upgrades on your weapons and a solid mix of classes you can probably do it earlier. I did it at 14 and it seems easier than pulling the frost ghosts and some other random mob encounters in the dlc. 

I only have done it with my endgame party and it was a cakewalk so I'm definitely doing it earlier in my next play through.

I'm convinced that dual hammers is OP now though; I had Glacierbane+Last word and the dragon died so easy (silence on crit, and suppression on crit) on my fanatic hitting at blender speed with fire lashes.

Edited by Theosupus

IMO it's all about tactics.  Ok, this is an obvious point, but this is one of those fights that simply can't be steamrolled at earlier weapons and has to be kinda planned for (unless one has really synergistic weapons already, apparently).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here that I like to do in more annoying fights is use Sacrifice (from the Soulbound dagger Marux Amanth) when I get the opponent I'm fighting down to Near Death.  Having to fight someone with 75% of their health instead of 100% is never a bad idea after all.  I believe there's other ways to kill folks reliably who are Near Death.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is prebuff everyone in the party with a Mind Immunity food buff, so you can just ignore the dracolich's terrify AoE.

Aside from that, debuff/buff is always a good general tactic. 

It is a tough fight, but not THAT tough.  

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire

For anyone wondering about an item with arcane dampener.

Charm of bones summons a random vessel.

If you get a risen mage (it's pretty much guaranteed in 10 tries, often you get it as early as 1st or 2nd try) it will actually cast arcane cleanse which is even much more powerful than dampener.

• Like 1

Did you get the aid from any of the trapped souls? Because in case you didn't notice, standing on the symbols they cast in front of'em gives you +50% damage against the dragon for some time. Starting the battle by having my tank draw her away while the rest jumped one of those symbols did wonders.

Also, having a ranger with concussive tranq is great against her buffs.

• Like 1

You can prone lock it with Scordeo's Edge and Rust's Poignard - if you get a Blade Cascade proc. Cast Salvation of Time for bonus points.

Wall of draining is another way to strip away the Safeguard.

Will be difficult to land as IIRC it has a high fort, but Xoti's lvl1 spell can remove a good chunk of HP when you get it bloodied/near death.

I loaded up with around 15 scrolls of meteor shower for 2 of my party members and let loose but it still took a long time to beat the dragon down.

For my next try I found a way to cheese the dragon using waidwen.

When a party member steps on waidwen’s symbol of eothas, they get a buff AND waidwen unleashes the godhammer on the dragon. This attack does around 500 damage and has infinite range so it can hit the dragon anywhere in the arena.

Before the triggering the cutscene and conversation you need to keep most of your party back and near the jump point to waidwen. Then have someone wear boots of speed and move toward the dragon to trigger the conversation. Everyone will move towards the dragon in the cutscene before the conversation starts.

Once the conversation ends, pause immediately and get your whole party to move to the space behind waidwen. Your party will run a bit then combat will start. Keep running and your whole party should make it to waidwen, plus the dragon will “lose line of sight” and just stop moving. If the party member who triggered conversation does not have enough stride, then the dragon will follow onto waidwen’s area. So make sure you stack stride.

Once you’re are safe, just trigger the godhammer by stepping on the symbol of eothas each time it reappears. It will reappear every 50 seconds on fast speed. And as long as a party member is standing there, it will auto trigger.

I left the game running and did some chores. Boom boom boom, dragon was dead after 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Smellicus's solution reminds of the early Ultima games where you could capture Lord British, keep him prisoner and torture him until you had unlimited heals.

I said "Don't look Ethel!"  But it was too late, she'd already looked.