Since you can rest nearly unlimited times and nearly everywhere except in cities...

It's not that you have to get knocked out in every fight - or that such a char would be a one-trick pony. You don't even need that robe: The Godhammer plate had a similar enchantment - so if you like plate better...

Also that stuff all comes kind of late (except Effort) - so you really have to build a decent Barb who can do something else. You have to build a good single class Barbarian but with the advantage that he can take whole groups with him at higher levels should he go down. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 8 months later...
On 8/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, mant2si said:

Not only that, but Reckless Brigandine progression is non linear, and you can't fill all 9 slot (not sure about this value), Reckless Brigandine will give you (20 - 25)% Action Speed in average, for fighter classes this mean 17% recovery speed. 17% situational recovery speed or 30% to stun retaliation and 75% damage reduction for all range attacks 😄

I'm really sorry for necroing this ancient thread, but I was just familiarizing myself with the deeper mechanics of the game, and I can't figure out how the 17% recovery speed mentioned in the quote were calculated. With Armored Grace, Cutthroat Cosmo and using inversion, the closest I get to it is around 14% recovery speed bonus. Maybe the math has changed?

Any of the veterans able to help out?

You have to keep in mind that a bonus to attack speed of let's say 10% is not the same as the reduction of attack time by 10%. Sometimes the descriptions list the bonus to speed. But once you look at the character's attack and recovery times (like the seconds it takes to do x or y) this will translate to different - bit lower - numbers.

Other example where that happens: Frenzy. It lists the bonus as attack speed improvement but if you look at the reduction of attack time it's a lower percentage.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

You have to keep in mind that a bonus to attack speed of let's say 10% is not the same as the reduction of attack time by 10%. Sometimes the descriptions list the bonus to speed. But once you look at the character's attack and recovery times (like the seconds it takes to do x or y) this will translate to different - bit lower - numbers.

Other example where that happens: Frenzy. It lists the bonus as attack speed improvement but if you look at the reduction of attack time it's a lower percentage.

I also noticed this on Duskfall and it's +10% Action Speed, which shows up as -9% in the character sheet.

So what you're saying is that the item and ability descriptions aren't incorrect, but rather that bonuses to "Action Speed" are applied to a hidden speed coefficient which then in turn is applied to the actual attack and recovery times in the character sheet. Am I understanding this correctly? If yes, what's the hidden speed coefficient? 😺

This should clear it up (the underlying mechanics of "speed vs. time" haven't changed since release):

Especiallly this example about speed vs. time from that thread:

"For example: I am going with a car at 100kmph. And at that speed going from A to B will take 60 minutes.
a). if I am asked to lower my speed by 25%, I would slowdown to 75kmph. [the speed is 25% lower, the trip duration is 33% longer]

b). if I am asked to increase the time it takes to arrive there by 25%, I would slowdown to 80kmph. [the speed is 20% lower, the trip duration is 25% longer]"

It's simply a mathematical "problem". If you increase your speed by 25% that's not he same as reducing the time by 25%. But since Obsidian uses attack speed bonuses but finally shows their effect on the attack/recovery times they have to transform the numbers like in the example above.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1