Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ansalons Two Handed Melee Weapon Tier List

Two Handed Melee Weapon Unique Tier List Guide

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Ansalon

Ansalon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts

As with the other two lists: no point when having no in-game experience with them or reading about in-game experience.

Once again: Espirs procs spells on kill that get all weapon bonuses and every kill procs those spells - not only blade-kills.

Oathbreaker's End dito.

WotEP ist really bad against single targets while it's good against mobs if you can apply afflictons with melee attacks.

Wahaī Pōraga only attacks max 4 enemies and has friendly fire. Bad against single targets.

Lord Darryn's Voulge applies its effects with AoE stuff like Carnage.

Citzal's Spirit Lance, while being one of the best (if not the best) weapon is not even on the list.

In general I think those tier lists are pointless because it so much depends on you character what's powerful and what not.

As I pointed out in my post Engoliero do Espirs does have some of the highest dmg potential in the game. The reason why I didn't put it into Tier S was because of the penalty you get before a kill. If you have done a lot of testing and find the weapon worthy of Tier S I will take your word on it.

Oathbreaker's End is BoW content which this list isn't updated for yet but I will keep that in mind once I do update.

Wahai Poraga isn't inteded to be wielded as your sole weapon. You can swap it out when there are fewer targets left. This is a timestamp link on a build i made, for a combat showcase that utilises this Weapon. 

I haven't added Summoned Weapons mostly because i'm too unfamiliar with them. Never run anything resembling an Arcane Knight. When I have the time I will look into it, but it's not a huge priority for me right now.

One build I made that uses WotEP and another one reddit user u/teesinz made

Edited by Ansalon, 13 August 2018 - 04:32 AM.

Verde

Verde

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG

I don't see why Whispers shouldn't be S tier, you should be assuming that the weapons are being used in classes built around them, the proper way, at the end of the day.

Also Chromatic Quarterstaff love me some power levels, forgot that item was around at all.

Chromo is love, Chromo is life.

pi2repsion

pi2repsion

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Assuming for the sake of argument that assigning tiers is a good idea in the first place (which I'm not certain of, but I'm not the intended target audience so I may be wrong) , assigning a tier to soulbound weapons that play out very differently depending on class is definitely not be a good idea: Each of the three variants should be individually weighed and based on that assigned a tier as they are effectively different weapons. The tier you end up with for each might be the same, and might not.

Take e.g. Lord Darryn's Voulge,

Soulbound to a barbarian, you end up upgrading Static Thunder to also disorient. To a fighter it casts a random storm spell when you dip below 50% hp (1/encounter), and to a druid it adds 3 storm power levels. (Which is why this weapon is the weapon of choice going together with Deltro's Cage body armour for any electric god build as pointed out in the armour thread)

To the two former not being able to upgrade to legendary is a concern, but to the latter who is likely to be using it as a stat stick, spending precious resources in limited supply on upgrading it to legendary was probably never a consideration in the first place. So it would make sense to assign the Druid variant a higher tier.

Edited by pi2repsion, 13 August 2018 - 11:39 AM.

Ansalon

Ansalon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Assuming for the sake of argument that assigning tiers is a good idea in the first place (which I'm not certain of, but I'm not the intended target audience so I may be wrong) , assigning a tier to soulbound weapons that play out very differently depending on class is definitely not be a good idea: Each of the three variants should be individually weighed and based on that assigned a tier as they are effectively different weapons. The tier you end up with for each might be the same, and might not.

Take e.g. Lord Darryn's Voulge,

Soulbound to a barbarian, you end up upgrading Static Thunder to also disorient. To a fighter it casts a random storm spell when you dip below 50% hp (1/encounter), and to a druid it adds 3 storm power levels. (Which is why this weapon is the weapon of choice going together with Deltro's Cage body armour for any electric god build as pointed out in the armour thread)

To the two former not being able to upgrade to legendary is a concern, but to the latter who is likely to be using it as a stat stick, spending precious resources in limited supply on upgrading it to legendary was probably never a consideration in the first place. So it would make sense to assign the Druid variant a higher tier.

Thanks for your input I will look into it when I can ;)

Ansalon

Ansalon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts

As a note to anyone disliking the idea of Tiers. My reasoning for ordering it this way is because in other games, as a newcomer to the game, I have gotten great value of other peoples Tier lists when trying to theorycraft my own builds. This was my way of trying to add something of value to the Pillars community. Tier lists are of course problematic and someone with a lot of experience might take a lot of issue with any particular item on the list. Therefore I have tried my best to put my evaluation into context so people can make up their own minds. It was never my intention to come across as if I have the definitive answer on how this game is supposed to be played, I just wanted to provide a tool that people could use to further their (and my own) understanding of the game, while also sparking a discussion.

• XEternalXDreamsX likes this

XEternalXDreamsX

XEternalXDreamsX

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

As a note to anyone disliking the idea of Tiers. My reasoning for ordering it this way is because in other games, as a newcomer to the game, I have gotten great value of other peoples Tier lists when trying to theorycraft my own builds. This was my way of trying to add something of value to the Pillars community. Tier lists are of course problematic and someone with a lot of experience might take a lot of issue with any particular item on the list. Therefore I have tried my best to put my evaluation into context so people can make up their own minds. It was never my intention to come across as if I have the definitive answer on how this game is supposed to be played, I just wanted to provide a tool that people could use to further their (and my own) understanding of the game, while also sparking a discussion.

Any fluctuation of weapons between Tiers recently or are they pretty stable in their positions after any changes?

Lampros

Lampros

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1245 posts

What about Amra?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Two Handed, Melee, Weapon, Unique, Tier, List, Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users