As a note to anyone disliking the idea of Tiers. My reasoning for ordering it this way is because in other games, as a newcomer to the game, I have gotten great value of other peoples Tier lists when trying to theorycraft my own builds. This was my way of trying to add something of value to the Pillars community. Tier lists are of course problematic and someone with a lot of experience might take a lot of issue with any particular item on the list. Therefore I have tried my best to put my evaluation into context so people can make up their own minds. It was never my intention to come across as if I have the definitive answer on how this game is supposed to be played, I just wanted to provide a tool that people could use to further their (and my own) understanding of the game, while also sparking a discussion.

Any fluctuation of weapons between Tiers recently or are they pretty stable in their positions after any changes?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks so much for this resource, it is extremely helpful.

am thinking the most helpful part o' the thread is boeroer responses.  yosharian can get basics o' unique weapons from either o' the two active wiki sites for deadfire.  this thread does little than relist the uniques and assign arbitrary grades w/o benefit o' actual gameplay experience to support.  the volgue is a great example o' genesis poster's veneer-level analysis. in the hands o' any number o' barbarian builds, the volgue is potential a half-screen screen debuffing and vaporizing weapon.  the weapon has an aoe effect which is enhanced by barbarian carnage so that with even middling intellect you is affecting potential large numbers o' foes. in spite o' the inability to reach legendary, the volgue effectiveness actual increases with game difficulty if for no other reason than encounter design becomes increasing reliant on mobs.  etc.

can make similar observations 'bout a few other grades from the genesis poster.

am s'posing is a nice list if you not wanna wade through wiki.  however, am thinking there ain't much actual gameplay experience to support observations found herein.  if you are interested in a weapon based on this thread, we would highly recommend starting a new thread to ask for feedback, or do a search for threads or posts which may already have been written by folks who gots extensive gameplay experience with said weapon to support their observations.

starting point only.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  am knowing this post is gonna sound like harsh criticism, but it ain't.  the genesis poster clear put effort into the lists and grades, and the list is more clear than most wiki entries, 'cause let's be honest, the wiki is based on the less than clear obsidian entries for the weapons.  is a swell little list, but would kinda ignore the grades.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 10 months later...

Hi, 

I'm writting in this board 1 year later only to THANK ANSALON FOR HIS TIER LISTS. I'm playing Deadfire this days and this list's have proven extremelly helpfull for me (and probably a lot of other people). Thought they are not perfect in the eyes of an expert, there are a great way to ease the path in to a complex game like POE for a new - medium player.

Obliously if you are an expert it makes no sense to you because you probably know as much or even more than he does, so this list isn't for you. Sure you can complement the list with your own knowledge and that's great. I for example have learned a lot from Boeroer's comments and other people from the forum.

But please refrain from calling the efforts of other people useless and such. Thought it's not an insult it's not nice to call someone's effort useless and I'm the prove it's not useless. Other people that directly insult Ansalon well... don't deserve even to explain why it's wrong.

I myself have a quite popular Youtube channel that I won't post (I don't upload POE at all) were I make tier lists and builds to help people out and let me tell you something: It's impossible to make perfect stuff. I am myself quite perfectionist and feel refrained to make tier list without investing hundreds of hours to obtain perfect knowledge, but in the end you will never feel enough prepared to do a perfect list so you won't be doing it at all. Ansalon knows he will make mistakes and does the tier list anyways, helping hundreds or thousands of players even if he isn't perfect and in the end he has helped far more people that if he had decided not to do them. 

So dudes, because of our society's culture we are used to demand perfection to others and to ourselves and end up being to harsh even with ourselves. I just wanted to write to say thank you to Ansalon because I have seen much more negativity than positivity directed to him and in the end he has helped out a lot of people. I also want to thank Boeroer and other people in this forums that give great insight of the game and has helped me out a lot without asking anything in exchange.

Peace to the world, to children and flowers and stuff to everyone!

• Like 1

Well if the lists are misleading they don’t really help new players do they ? They just mislead them so yeh they aren’t useless they are worse than that. 

Anyway any tier list that does not involve full character builds is beyond useless since what’s S tier for one build is F tier for others.

Edited by Blunderboss

The list is not only misleading because it is called a tier list, even tho the assigned tiers are clearly wrong.

No there is straight up wrong information which indicates no experience with the weapon by using it themselves, just assuming what a weapon does by reading the text.

Mostly I found the list useful in the early days where the wiki was in a real sorry shape, and this and ansalon's other tier lists were a good way to see alot of unique weapons and their basic effects broken down in one page.

That being said, I do agree with Blunderboss in that the metagame for Deadfire is such that most weapons don't really fall into a neat "tier" list due to the variety of interactions and builds, and was (sorry) obviously built by someone new-ish to the game and not fully aware of certain mechanics or challenges in combat.

It's funny, looking at this list now, I'm astonished that Street Sweeper is in the trash category, as it's the one weapon I am guaranteed to always want to pick up in any normal run. Neriscyrlas pulled off a Llengrath's Safeguard? Porokoa did another Robust? A few whacks and it's gone for good. I even sometimes don't bother to enchant one way or the other, because having both a -5 debuff and -5 buff effect means I can swap to whacking allies who are hit with an insane attack or debuff (disintegrate, stuck in wall of many colors). Given how good it is at -5s (-10s with enchants), it's crazy to me that this was considered trash tier even back when it was -10s (-20s with enchants), which was stupidly good.