dps tests of some classes/multiclasses * some values will change with 2.1 patch

I ran a couple so far and for what it's worth strict dps probably is not the most important factor but it may be interesting to see some results none the less and something worth considering of what the cap is on 

Tank was always Holy Slayer but he don't matter

first to 100K wins, no "cheeze buffs" ie red hand damage boost (unless you are using it) on self just trying to test builds...like if it can be used on any toon and is not a vital cornerstone of the build I don't use it just the skills the builds provide

using best appropriate gear for each build and stat spread

no damage taken enabled (unity console) - can't really "test" bloodied state bonuses in a fast run through so if a toon is a say a death godlike I just gibve them +1 power level all the time to average things out - Woedica shaman was death godlike others are always hearth orlans anyways. poor barbarians and "bloodied" talent - I don't know how to reliably test that/factor that in. 

all toons are at level 20 and taking abilities to maximaize damage

ai scripts tuned to do best damage priority abilities no healing etc just deeps as much as possible

run through hosango, poka kohara, drowned borrows and few other places in Upscaled Potd. Run takes about an hour on average.

Hot Razor Skewers is the standardized food of choice

dph=damage per combat hour

First Test (perfecting ai scripts)

Witch rdps 10,046 dph 

Shaman Woedica "Fists and Fire" 8,846 dph

Mindstalker (blunderbuss streetfighter/ascednant) 6,855 dph

Cipher asc Pure the Red Hand 3,837 dph

conclusion: cipher asc got murdered by not having enough burst and everyone else killing stuff faster

- - - - - - 

Test 2

Transcendent 12,057 dph

Cipher asc single class 13,426 dph

Witch rdps 21,079 dph

Magran pure fire priest 10,935 dph

Gave single class cipher better burst at start with Kitchen Stove and dual wield setup, he performed much better. 

Magran priest too slow as he has no speed buffs.

- - - - - - - 

Test 3

aoe blunderbuss mortar Scout dot bleeder with avenging storm scrolls 9,844 dph

Shaman of Woedica "Fists and Fire" 12,853 dph

Witch rdps 13,510 dph

Mindstalker rdps 6,208 dph

conclusion: not enough things to dot bleed when eveything dies fast, but still respectable and the classes in this test were more inline with each other dps-wise except for the Mindstalker

- - - - - - - - - - 

Test 4

Evoker single class "Duke I just'Nukem with lvl9slol" 20,437 dph

Witch  rdps 15,063

Shaman Woedica "Fist and Fire" hybrid 12,364 dph

Wanderer Gunhawk/Helwalker rdps The Red Hand single target 7,031 dph

conclusion: Wizard insta buffs with motion and vital essence and nukes none stop with grimoire of vaporous wizardry .... lol. 7K coming from the wanderer is all single target (no aoe attacks) and coming in such a strong group is actually very good considering everyone else aoes stuff. well the Shaman is technically a hybrid between aoe fire spells and single target fist attacks. 

I'll probably test a single class vengeful defeat berserker next with a nice weapon...you can guess which one

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

Test 5

Evoker Nuker 19,566 dph

Ascendant Cipher 10,126 dph

Berserker Vengeful defeat / barbaric retaliation with Oathbreaker's End 8,552 dph*

*I let the berserker do his thing and attack stuff and if he died I revived him on a 6 seconds timer maximum twice per encounter, the evoker could not stop laughing through all of this but since he had rekvu's helmet on he still nuked the field with lvl8/9 spells and so on. 

Where are you drawing damage bonuses info (additive/multiplicative) for the script?

I would be interested in

Blunderbuss(-10 acc.)+Modal(distracted(+flanked) and fire damage)+

Streetfighter("Heating Up active due to Modal")+Sneak Attack+Deathblows+

Ascendant's "Ascended"+Stolen Instict (+20 acc)

numbers

Where are you drawing damage bonuses info (additive/multiplicative) for the script?

I would be interested in

Blunderbuss(-10 acc.)+Modal(distracted(+flanked) and fire damage)+

Streetfighter("Heating Up active due to Modal")+Sneak Attack+Deathblows+

Ascendant's "Ascended"+Stolen Instict (+20 acc)

numbers

Test 6

Scout Streetfighter/Gunhawk mortars+avenging storms scrolls 12,622 dph
Cipher single class asc  dph scordeo's+kitchen stove 13,638 
Wanderer  Helwalker/Gunhawk mortars+avenging storms 8,746 dps dph
Shaman Woedica/Berserker  Fists+Fire Spells (high dps reference for group) 15,230 dph

Cipher was not debuffing anything just max focus through thunderous report into borrowed instinct into amp wave/mind blades
Both Ranger build one with Helwalker the other with Streetfighter were on dual hand mortars (legendary of course) and used avenging storm scrolls every fight. most pulls the enemies were clustered 

Anyways single class Wizard Evoker pure nuker is on another level by himself in the stratosphere, after that you have various Berserker caster hybrids like Witch, Shaman and possibly Warlock though I have not tested Warlock, and after that a tight group of Aoe bleed scouts, Ascendants, Ascendant/monk or rogue hybrids and so on. Single target damage classes fall usually at the bottom but they are still valuable as a dual wield Marauder or a Red Hand Wanderer is good on bosses and dragons. 

But pure Evoker is so insane with level 8/9 spells that they are exceptional on both lots of mobs and bosses. 

I also didn't see Ranger/Berserker with Watershaper's Focus :D I think with current Lion Spirit implementation it can overcome even Envoker

This combination can stack a lot of accuracy to get max bonus from Barbarian skills 

+10 Ranger mark
+15 Lion's spirit
+4   Ranger talant
+4   Ranger ring
+10 Targets with < 50HP

-> 43 Base acc

For all attack which target forittude

+10 (stagger from frenzy)
+10 (sick from rod) 

-> 20

For same target which attacked by your companion

+10 acc from stalker link

-> 10

I also suggest to pick Hobbling Shot, to give additional +10 acc vs reflexes

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Interesting that blunderbuss so far outclassed red hand, since red hand frequently gets classed as "broken."

I'm not sure I fully understand how the game "attributes" damage -- i.e., I've stacked 20+ iterations of combusting wounds via bouncing mind blades, but I don't know if that damage is attributed to the cipher or the wizard.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Interesting that blunderbuss so far outclassed red hand, since red hand frequently gets classed as "broken."

It is only because of Thunderous report at start...let me break it down further.

In early to midgame on an ascendant, you can hit max focus fast with say the red hand or your favorite bow or some dual pistols (especially if you have a full attack).

By late game your max focus pool gets so large that Thunderous Report or some other weapon ability is hard hitting enough to ensure you get to max focus at the start of the fight.

If you don't hit max focus in the first second of a fight, other classes will get the upper hand and start doing stuff like storm of holy fire/ minolettas/ the aoe bleed scouts will avenging storm  and hit stuff in aoes with their blunderbuss while you are left auto attacking as things get killed around you by other classes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Evoker is really dominating your dph tests.

What's your spell selection like? Missile Salvo single targets and small clumps, Wilting Wind aoe?

It's even better when playing normally, since Empower is better with casters, and opening from stealth with Wiz aoes is very legit.

Edited by Clerith

TBH a well built Evoker will **** all over pretty much any other build. And "well built" is a pretty loose term here, as all it really needs is a decent stat allocation and the right spell picks - gear helps but isn't as impactful as on most other builds.

And yeah Salvo and Wilting Wind are pretty much all you need. Before then Bounding Missiles and Ninagauth's Shadowflame/Fireball will take care of most things, with Chain Lightning for spread out and/or fire/frost resist/immune.

Edited by thundercleese

Evoker is really dominating your dph tests.

What's your spell selection like? Missile Salvo single targets and small clumps, Wilting Wind aoe?

It's even better when playing normally, since Empower is better with casters, and opening from stealth with Wiz aoes is very legit.

Yeah pretty much ai set to target most enemies with missile salvo priority over wilting wind being second. If the evoker runs out of those they use delayed blast fireball. And I don't even bother with empower because no one is using empower in the tests just a quick run through of combat. It's pretty sick how much better the evoker is compared to anything else. But it is also really boring playstyle as you just buff yourself with alacrity and vital essence and proceed to nuke stuff. - and those spells are so strong that it is a snoozefest.

I don't know know if I have a favorite dps build but Shaman of Woedica / Berserker is very effective and pretty badass looking, because the woedica spiritual weapons is raw damage claws which look like vampire/reaping knives claws and work with and enhance monastic unarmed training. So it is a very elegant hyprid caster/melee striker build, because after getting speed from frenzy and casting storm of holy fire you summon the spiritual claws and claw people in melee with a pillar of holy fire thrown in on occasion - at least it feels more dynamic and varied compared to a nonstop spell nuker. 

Witch is strong too like the bashee build I posted but unfortunately, it is a pain to level up as it only hits its high power level really late. 

I don't know know if I have a favorite dps build but Shaman of Woedica / Berserker is very effective and pretty badass looking, because the woedica spiritual weapons is raw damage claws which look like vampire/reaping knives claws and work with and enhance monastic unarmed training. So it is a very elegant hyprid caster/melee striker build, because after getting speed from frenzy and casting storm of holy fire you summon the spiritual claws and claw people in melee with a pillar of holy fire thrown in on occasion - at least it feels more dynamic and varied compared to a nonstop spell nuker. 

Too bad you need a mod to unlock Priest - Woedica. 

I definitely gained a new appreciation for Priests after trying out Vatnir. I know he's like half Wizard, but I was actually using Minor Avatar and doing good damage. 

A fast martial/caster is definitely dynamic and flexible.

Highest DPS builds i can think of:

- Sage (Generalist Wizard/Helwalker) with Combusting Wounds, Wall of Flame and 2 Blunderbusses. Since CB's damage scales exponentially up to some limit, it should deliver absurd damage

- Human Shadowdancer (Streetfighter/Helwalker). Use AI to drop HP to bloodied using Mortification of Soul, keep up Swift Strikes/Thunderous Blows/Dance of Death. This build was absolutely ridiculous, in fact it had so high damage i refused to play it, because it hits for 80-ish damage every 2 seconds BEFORE LEAVING PORT MAJE

- Sage (Generalist Wizard/Helwalker) with ICBM build (instruments of Pain, Citzal's Lance). Lance procs explosions that also proc Monk's free attacks. Instruments with Reach weapon means you'll have 8m range. It literally explodes groups of enemies

- Scepter/Pistol full attack build (any combination of Ranger, Fighter, Rogue or Pally). Equip Pistol in MH, scepter in OH and set up AI to spam full attacks until dry. Should be very high on your chart since it has no recovery and no wind-up time, so it should steal all enemies from other builds.

Edited by Somnium_Meum
  • Like 1

I believe "damage per playtime hour" would be more accurate.

If a single combat lasted one hour, Evoker, for example, would fire nukes in the first minute then auto-attack for the rest of combat. DPS is meaningless without context. Here the context is quite complex, from starting on a beach to the final boss. Solo Evoker, for example, would not last one hour in combat, unlike let's say Paladin, so Evoker damage per hour is in such context meaningless. In a party, with spell refresh between encounters, context is different and dps has value. 

btw was it not obvious that Evoker has highest dps?

Edited by knownastherat

I believe "damage per playtime hour" would be more accurate.

This is just nitpicking since the OP lready defined his run (run through hosango, poka kohara, drowned borrows and few other places in Upscaled Potd. Run takes about an hour on average.), and no encounter actually lasts for minutes. OF COURSE casters take a dive if you fight an hour straight with no rest and spell refresh. It doesn't even need to be said and isn't a realistic gameplay scenario. That's just being pedantic over the (dph) definition taken out of context.

pre buffing too much/debuffing the enemies too much = loss in actual dps. so combusting wounds/ wall of flame shenanigans are actually a loss of dps in an encounter compared to straight

up missile salvo. 

Like for instance, a shaman is better off just going frenzy->lion's sprint (instant casts)->nuking , skipping minor avatar cast

A wizard/evoker is better off doing deleterious alacrity of motion-> infuse with vital essence->nuking, skipping any long buff casts like merciless gaze etc. 

I used avenging storm scrolls and 20 arcana on the ranged blunderbuss / or watershapers rod builds (scrolls are instant casts) but they still did not out dps aoe spellcasters generally. 

Given in the tests I treat each build equally - it's basically a rat race who accumulates most damage done through a run through several dungeons  I think the results are accurate in relating  one class vs another - in that context, it is not about  how much absolute dps a class would do when the context changes ie. is the only dps in a party or playing solo, but how efficient a damage dealer it can be - like what would you be giving up if say you decide to play x class in a playthrough instead of y class. The game is balanced anyways that you can beat it in PotD almost with any combination, the exception being naked solo runs. 

Isn't this only true if the fight ends very quickly though? I found Merciless Gaze to be the most important buff for my Wizard, at least for every fight that doesn't end after he casts two spells. With high DEX, the cast time isn't even that high.

If you are at 20+ perception already casting something like combusting wounds is more worth it.

Against a boss target/ fight sure you want as much accuracy as possible so you might as well get merciless gaze so your main nukes hit harder. 

Because of CW mechanics.

CW is long duration debuff that does nothing on its own.

When you hit target with CW, it applies single stack of DoT that does 4 damage per 3s for 6s

Furthermore, hitting target with active stacks deals instant damage equal to one tick.

This means that hitting target with BB creates 4 stacks, dealing 24 instant damage + 32 damage over 6s.

Hitting target with 2 BBs (full attack) deals 112 damage and 64 damage over 6s

You see where this is going?

Single hit on target with 20 stacks deals extra 80 damage, which is massive.

These calculations are made only with base values, so you can imagine how Massive the numbers can get. Remember that every teammate can trigger CW so it ramps up very quickly