Priest of Eothas/AnythingElse?

I'm struggling to think of any class that would work well with Priest of Eothas, that wouldn't work better with Priest of <somebody, anybody, else>, since all Eothas brings to the table that the others do not is Sunbeam at T1, filling the T2-T6 tiers of given spells with spells that all priests can get if they want to.

The closest I can get is that for roleplaying purposes a Priest of Eothas/Kind Wayfarer Paladin (or /Shieldbearer of. st. Elga Paladin) would at least share some dispositions making that easier to handle, so I guess it should be Priest of Eothas/AnyhingElseExceptPaladinWayfarerOrShieldbearer.

Guess there's a reason there aren't any Priest of Eothas guides up yet: Skaen, Magram, Wael, Berath... but no Eothas.

Priest of Eothas was really cool in earlier versions of the backer beta, which makes the current state of the subclass even more frustrating. It used to get a bunch of druid elemental damage spells. Now it's just vanilla priest, which is mostly pointless, disappointing for the player and also boring.

I don't think it's totally awful. The support spells you get aren't very exciting, but the revives can be very powerful, circle of protection can be good and withdraw is strong. It's just not very satisfying and not many people find priest to be all that useful for healing and defense to begin with compared with paladin, druid or chanter, since those are better at preventing people from dying while priests are better at reviving, and it's obviously better to stop your party members from dying in the first place. I imagine people who have multiclassed to priest of eothas for roleplaying reasons got some use out of their free spells. But I'm also sure they wish they got other, more interesting powers instead.

• Like 2

I found melee berserker/helwalker the worst combination in the game :D 

Low deflection because of berserker

Increase damage taken because of helwalker

More might make you take more damage from Frenzy

Usually you die before real fight start, this combination just unplayable until Death Door spell :D

I strongly disagree. The strongest character I've played was a Berzerker/Helwalker. All you need is a few consistent healing items and the Voidward ring and you're set. If I have to use BDD on him it means I've done something dumb in the fight.

There are a lot of ways that (caster)(caster) combos can be made to work but generally you run into the "there's only so much time in the fight" problem. A priest can dump their whle spellbook pretty fast; a Cipher has to wait and do some physical damage first; a caster/cipher has to cast, do physical damage, *then* cipher. Chanters sortof avoid this problem with the passive phrase chanting and Paladins sortof avoid it with auras but even paladin/chanter heralds can run into the issue.  So it's *generally* better to go caster/physical damage class, and I think caster/caster combo builds are *generally* less effective, but that's a trendline, not a law.

Beckoner/Ghost Heart still seems like the worst outright to me.

I can even see how a Wael/Beguiler works RP-wise :).

Also I don't know about u guys but when I play priest I only use a select few spells because many of them are very underwhelming while a few are very good, a cipher bring a little bit of weapon dmg and more spells to use, most importantly the cipher bring spells that makes it easier to land the good priest spells.

The issue with Priest/Cipher is the lack of full attacks, same problem as with singleclass cipher I suppose. So using a few items wich grant u attacks are very good. Seems like most if not all attacks and spells from gear generate focus? Not 100% sure of this tho but all the gear that gives u a weapon attack will and when Boeroer mentioned that Wilting wind from Amiras Wing generates focus I started to suspect that they all do.

I'm finding it hard to find "the worst" multiclass because of various situations. If the question was something like "worst multiclass vs magma dragon" it would have made it easier. Personally I really don't like multiclassed druids or druids overall

Edited by Dorftek

Paladin/Chanter?

If by worst, you mean silly overpowered, then yes, they are the worst ;)

I tried hard to make heralds work. I repsect that people like them but i didnt think much of them at all.

Out of my party of 5 the herald was the worst performing one in there by far. It was really hard to get the summons spells off because you had to build up phrases then go through the really long cast times that summons spells have when you are a front line tank with heavy armour. Not only this alot of the time you are surrounded by enemies so you get interrupted alot and if you get interrupted in the middle of a summons spell you lose all your phrases so you have to start building them up again.

This is why Paladin / Chanter is a bad synergy IMO.  Probably one of the works multiclass builds i have played , if not the worst.

Edited by Teclis23

Yeah, giving your whole party a +30% burning lash + 12% draining or more than 15 health every 3 secs passively while tanking the crap out of foes is really bad. I don't know how anybody can not think that Herald has the worst synergy. Really bad, a shame...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, giving your whole party a +30% burning lash + 12% draining or more than 15 health every 3 secs passively while tanking the crap out of foes is really bad. I don't know how anybody can not think that Herald has the worst synergy. Really bad, a shame...

The chants you are talking about where really good but you can do them with a ranged based class instead of tanking

The chanters aura is big enough to reach everyone so no need to be frontline

@teclis23

Chanters bring more than summons to the board.

If you intend to use your paladin/chanter as melee tanking lots of hits, just focus on supporting your strong passive chants (whichever you prefer) with 0.5s cast-time offensive invocations. There are a lot of good ones out there (foeAOE armour reduction debuff, foeAOE paralyze, foeAOE stun, foeAOE charm being the go-to for most builds; if wanting to go primarily paladin with few points spent chanter-side, you could even stick with the AOE paralyze alone, though having somebody around who can reduce enemy armour is pretty nifty for penetration purposes).

Alternatively, rather than belting out an offensive invocation whenever your gain enough phrases, you might consider building up and holding phrases while concentrating on having some of the strong 0.5s cast time party buffs instead - all depending on what would have the best synergy with the rest of the party.  They are generally trickier to apply unless your party is bunched up, but there are some very powerful ones.

This does not preclude you from also taking a summon to cast in situations where you can get it off without more interruptions than your concentration, of course.

If going for a ranged paladin/chanter, you'll have few interruption problems with summons. You'll still be able to have your part in your chant AOE, but most enemies won't, so you should stick to party-buffing chants and invocations (other than summons) that either buff or have long range.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

The chants you are talking about where really good but you can do them with a ranged based class instead of tanking

But still the worst multiclass you ever played... Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Although when you use that scimitar you would gimp yourself if you'd not use empowered invocarions in my opinion. You can use an empowered Whirlwind in every encounter - it gets so many jumps it's ridiculous and you'll get 3 phrases AND the Empower point back.

Edited by Boeroer

But still the worst multiclass you ever played...

It is a tie for the worst i have played. Paladin/ barb and paladin/ chanter where both pretty bad

I can even see how a Wael/Beguiler works RP-wise :).

Also I don't know about u guys but when I play priest I only use a select few spells because many of them are very underwhelming while a few are very good, a cipher bring a little bit of weapon dmg and more spells to use, most importantly the cipher bring spells that makes it easier to land the good priest spells.

The issue with Priest/Cipher is the lack of full attacks, same problem as with singleclass cipher I suppose. So using a few items wich grant u attacks are very good. Seems like most if not all attacks and spells from gear generate focus? Not 100% sure of this tho but all the gear that gives u a weapon attack will and when Boeroer mentioned that Wilting wind from Amiras Wing generates focus I started to suspect that they all do.

I'm finding it hard to find "the worst" multiclass because of various situations. If the question was something like "worst multiclass vs magma dragon" it would have made it easier. Personally I really don't like multiclassed druids or druids overall

And I don't like multi-ing a Priest :)

Don't forget, Sasha's Singing Scimitar, give everyone a +2% (stacking) Action Speed increase per Phrase.  You can run a great Chanter without using Invocations.

Although when you use that scimitar you would gimp yourself if you'd not use empowered invocarions in my opinion. You can use an empowered Whirlwind in every encounter - it gets so many jumps it's ridiculous and you'll get 3 phrases AND the Empower point back.

You can empower a bigger invocation at the start of a fight, then hold onto phrases later. Or, for a skald, you can hover at your phrase max while using 2 phrase cost offensive invocations. That let's you keep the benefit of the scimitar while also taking advantage of it's ability to empower.

Upgraded, empowered eld nary is just absurdly powerful. Because the projectile is slow and takes a second to bounce it doesn't deal all its damage instantly, but a single cast easily does over 1000 damage overall. Testing against dummies with low fortitude, it was doing more than 2000 damage overall on the opening cast. With a skald using the scimitar, you can open every fight with empowered eld nary's then instantly cast it again.

I wonder whether a helwalker cantor or a berserker howler could beat a single class skald in overall damage output given how powerful the upgrade to eld nary's is. I guess multiclasses would be better against large single targets in fights without adds because they still get the upgrade to seven nights. But in most fights I'm not sure the multiclass would pull ahead.

Edited by grasida

I agree completely. Also to the indecisive part about multiclass or single class. :)

Eld Nary is so strong when it's empowered... It also makes perfect sense to take the "Potent/Accurate/Penetrating Empower" passive abilites with that sabre as a single class chanter.

I agree completely. Also to the indecisive part about multiclass or single class. :)

Eld Nary is so strong when it's empowered... It also makes perfect sense to take the "Potent/Accurate/Penetrating Empower" passive abilites with that sabre as a single class chanter.

At the very least the Accurate empower passive. :)

Upgraded Eld Nary is also fun to use while wielding Tekehu's Watershaper Focus upgraded to +2 power levels; Not as powerful as using Eld Nary empowered, of course, but every bit helps; A bit more penetration, a bit more base damage, an extra jump.  Of course, Tekehu is generally better off as Druid or Druid/Chanter, but if the MC is a singleclass ranged chanter, making Tekehu a sad bunny might be worth considering.

Which of course doesn't prevent one from having the singing scimitar available as a weapon swap for a once-per combat empower, though in that case it might be better with the "max phrases returned" rather than empower point returned; you wouldn't empower every combat, but for important fights you'd be able to start out wielding the singing scimitar, casting an empowered upgraded Eld Nary, immediately following that summon anything you wanted up to and including the dragon, and then swap back to the Watershaper's Focus. Not really sure it is worth the trouble, but  it is an option.

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 1

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.