Political Thread XX

Amentep

The results of the Swedish elections for those that want a break from the Trump News thread.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/a/0EyBX0

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The results of the Swedish elections for those that want a break from the Trump News thread.

huh.  swedish elections is a bit different than we expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOK_ClNg_0

kinda disappointing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

kinda disappointing.

HA! Good Fun!

I actually consider this a supreme form of election, atleast we would know that the people that are up for election really want to be there, and not just for the easy money. :)

It would also motivate politicians to keep investing in healthcare and social security. Kind of hard to work when your arm has been cut off.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Good luck trying to divert attention away from the perpetual Trump three-ring circus.

Anyway, my mom's fluent in Swedish so she was telling me yesterday that it's rather appalling -if unsurprising- how the media are narrating this. I mean, Sweden Democrats are actually left-wing when it comes to economics, favoring the current Swedish welfare state and all, it's just immigration and its ramifications they are raising a huge stink about. Rather than their rise, it's the Social Democrats huge fall that's remarkable.

I can't read Swedish myself so of course I'm interested in your take.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Just want to say that again, so far, I hate the local political ads.  Nothing terribly new from past years, I guess, but a couple of egregiously bad, logic defying ads running that make my head swim.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just want to say that again, so far, I hate the local political ads.  Nothing terribly new from past years, I guess, but a couple of egregiously bad, logic defying ads running that make my head swim.

Ditto. November can't get here soon enough!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Luckily I don't really get many of them out here in California. Not ideal that we really only have one party in California, but it does keep the ads simple. I mean half of our election are between two democrats instead of one from each party.

Some of the ads for the State House districts in Memphis have been very amusing. My Congressman is going all out with ads. Ironically I live in a area that hasn't elected a Democrat since Reconstruction ended. So he's pretty much a sure thing as long as he doesn't get arrested or anything.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good luck trying to divert attention away from the perpetual Trump three-ring circus.

Anyway, my mom's fluent in Swedish so she was telling me yesterday that it's rather appalling -if unsurprising- how the media are narrating this. I mean, Sweden Democrats are actually left-wing when it comes to economics, favoring the current Swedish welfare state and all, it's just immigration and its ramifications they are raising a huge stink about. Rather than their rise, it's the Social Democrats huge fall that's remarkable.

Yeah, that would be really interesting. For all the translations I could find they seem to espouse the same sort of policies that the other parties of the ECR do just with a more xenophobic bent. From what I could gather from online sources they're all for sweeping tax cuts (including, but not limited to inheritance tax and taxes related to capital investment) that should be financed by cutting financial support for immigrants.

If they want to keep the welfare state as it is but simply reduce the inarguably massive immigration to Sweden and manage to finance tax cuts with the savings then more power to them. Lucky Sweden. But it sure reads like every other conservative program on the surface. I've seen parties (well technically the same just in different iterations after internal schizms) with such promises rise to power twice here, and while that's not fully comparable the promised welfare cuts for immigrants just ended up being welfare cuts for everyone, merely in areas associated mostly with immigration, i.e. child support and needs based minimum income - both of which are still paid out by far and large to natives and EU member state citizens.

But we'll see, I guess. Maybe Sweden can become a model state again. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Luckily I don't really get many of them out here in California. Not ideal that we really only have one party in California, but it does keep the ads simple. I mean half of our election are between two democrats instead of one from each party.

hmmm.  

california is sharp divided 'tween red and blue.  am loathing wiki, but their linked page is easy-to-read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California%27s_congressional_districts#Current_districts_and_representatives

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-pol-ca-california-congressional-race-rankings/

we watch very little tv, but am suspecting in some places in ca, the local political ads is non-stop and fierce.

sure, the senate and presidential elections has, since the 90s, been forgone conclusions and commercials is thus a waste o' money. lack o' ubiquitous national election commercials might be one o' the few positives we see 'bout ca political landscape. the House elections has also become a bit predictable, but is not 'cause is uniform democrat.  that said, it is understandable how in the bay area hurl is not gonna see political commercials, and ca might seem uniform blue from his neck o' the woods.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, that would be really interesting. For all the translations I could find they seem to espouse the same sort of policies that the other parties of the ECR do just with a more xenophobic bent. From what I could gather from online sources they're all for sweeping tax cuts (including, but not limited to inheritance tax and taxes related to capital investment) that should be financed by cutting financial support for immigrants.

If they want to keep the welfare state as it is but simply reduce the inarguably massive immigration to Sweden and manage to finance tax cuts with the savings then more power to them. Lucky Sweden. But it sure reads like every other conservative program on the surface. I've seen parties (well technically the same just in different iterations after internal schizms) with such promises rise to power twice here, and while that's not fully comparable the promised welfare cuts for immigrants just ended up being welfare cuts for everyone, merely in areas associated mostly with immigration, i.e. child support and needs based minimum income - both of which are still paid out by far and large to natives and EU member state citizens.

But we'll see, I guess. Maybe Sweden can become a model state again. :)

Haha! Yeah, diverting attention is not going to happen :)

SD is very much in the clouds when it comes to economics, their financial minister has trouble distinguishing between millions and billions, so...

In actuality their politics is right leaning, not only talking about their immigration views, but also their tax proposals. From digging around they want to give tax reductions to people earning 11k USD per month, nothing for people making less than 7k. (Average wage for cashiers in Sweden is at about 2500$)

They want to keep privatizing healthcare, they don't want to impose any form of limit on how much private healthcare providers can take as winnings (Private healthcare providers are still state funded)

They want to cut municipality fundings by 6 billion$ (~10% of the total budget), which rhymes badly with them wanting to improve care for the elderly and better schools...

That's just a few picks from why SD isn't in any way for the average people.

The media just goes on and on and on about SDs anti immigration policies because it's easilly attacked. If they'd done their actual jobs and shone a light on their other ideas people might have been better informed. So if they were to drop their anti immigration policies, SD would essentially be the Moderate Party, with clueless politicians.

The fall of the social democrats is no surprise really. The past years they haven't had a majority so they haven't gotten many of their ideas through, which leads to them looking like they won't keep their word and people losing faith in them. No wonder really.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Figured as much. Meh. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Wish I could give you more, but I've got a heavy workday behind me and worse ahead of me. :)

kinda disappointing.

HA! Good Fun!

I actually consider this a supreme form of election, atleast we would know that the people that are up for election really want to be there, and not just for the easy money. :)

It would also motivate politicians to keep investing in healthcare and social security. Kind of hard to work when your arm has been cut off.

sounds crazy, but wouldn't be any worse than most current systems.  perhaps have candidates face a 50/50 chance o' either hand-to-hand combat or chess, with death being the result for the loser in either case.  would almost necessarily get smart, dangerous and complete committed candidates.  

HA! Good Fun!

kinda disappointing.

HA! Good Fun!

sounds crazy, but wouldn't be any worse than most current systems.  perhaps have candidates face a 50/50 chance o' either hand-to-hand combat or chess, with death being the result for the loser in either case.  would almost necessarily get smart, dangerous and complete committed candidates.  

HA! Good Fun!

How about Chess Boxing?

chessboxing06.jpg

And to top it all off in the comic...

...one of the competitors does bite it, courtesy of collapsing onto one of the pieces.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

kinda disappointing.

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

How about Chess Boxing?

And to top it all off in the comic...

...one of the competitors does bite it, courtesy of collapsing onto one of the pieces.

had no idea... but admitted, we were never a big wu-tang clan fan.

strains credulity to take the endeavor serious, but would be hard to imagine a more impressive adversary, political or otherwise, than some kinda amalgam o' paul morphy + muhammad ali.  

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

Ohh, or why not Battle Chess, party against party?

... I think we're onto a winning concept here!