Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

actionjezus6

actionjezus6

Ghost Lord of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Just wanted to drop my two cents: I am gravely worried the obsidian will go the “Bioware route” – Obsidian is my favourite studio and I have been pre-purchasing/crowdfunding all of their titles, but with this acquisition..

Well, next game they are going to release, will be the first I will wait for reviews. And subsequent ones, too.

Eelectrica

Eelectrica

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Steam:Eelectrica
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm looking at games published by Microsoft and seeing how great they are...
Guy
-Sunset Overdrive

-Quantum Break

-Super Lucky's Tale

-Dust: An Elysian Tale

-Ori And The Blind Forest

-Mark Of The Ninja

-Killer Instinct

-Max: Curse Of The Brotherhood

Nobody here is mentioning these games, I'm assuming they're not being mentioned because they aren't Crpg but we should give credit where it's due. Like Obsidian, these are small development companies and the track record for Microsoft proves they've done more well than not.

That's a list of games I'm never going to touch.

If Obsidian remains a AA developer and don't go the soulless MTX based AAA route I'll be happy with that.
I'll judge whatever there next game is on its merits, but no way I'm touching the MS store though.

Of course if what they do next ends up exclusively on the MS store then I can find something else to play, no doubt about that.
So no entitlement from me.
  • kanisatha likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do we know if MS also bought out Project Indiana (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky's Dream Game) from Private-Division? I'd assume so, but it's not clear. The last independent game from Obsidian could be quite the keeper for Take-Two, especially for this new publishing venture of theirs.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do we know if MS also bought out Project Indiana (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky's Dream Game) from Private-Division? I'd assume so, but it's not clear. The last independent game from Obsidian could be quite the keeper for Take-Two, especially for this new publishing venture of theirs.

Private Division is still the publisher for Project Indiana.

• injurai likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5982 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wonder if it'll go like Bungie.

?

Bungie was bought by MS as a fairly minor entity, but bought themselves out (ie went independent again) later after the success of the Halos.

Then they went cahoots with Activision, told more lies than Peter Molyneux with Destiny 2, and are now forced to add MORE MTX to their MTX-simulator by said Activision to make up for gamers not wanting anything to do with that deceitful company.

Not exactly a success-story.

Edited by Hassat Hunter, 12 November 2018 - 10:50 AM.

• Majek likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2552 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They were a success story at the point they went independent again and they did go from a studio with promise but limited sales to being synonymous with Halo. As such they were also a very successful acquisition for MS as well.

Guess the lesson really is that we should be glad that OEI hasn't been sold to the black hole of creativity that is Activision instead.

• Malcador likes this

Lótus Haddock

Lótus Haddock

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts

Man, it's a surprise to me than Obsiadian was sold to Microsoft... I didn't play the game, but Deadfire looked to be so good (I already bought and don't feel regret)!

My hope is a PoE 3 to finish the Watcher's tale or if the possibility of a new game be so low, the upcoming dlc Forgotten Sanctum give us something like Thorne of Bhaal to finish the series.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Got a source? This is awesome news if true.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1073 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

More like there's no source saying that this isn't still true.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

An assumption isn't satisfying.

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://www.polygon....illars-eternity

There you go.

• injurai likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There you go.

This is glorious news. Not that Microsoft won't do good with Obsidian, but they are being given one last crack of truly independent game-production on a new IP before operations shift into acquisition mode.

Which makes me wonder why Obsidian felt they couldn't hold out any longer, I wonder if the struggles of Deadfire and the gap to their next game were part of it. I guess with Microsoft, the team that wasn't on Project Indiana will be able to secure immediate funding.

• IndiraLightfoot, InsaneCommander and evilcat like this

mrbane

mrbane

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

The thought of Obsidian making an Xbox exclusive just ended what happened with Ensemble Studios after MS acquired them it we all know :/

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5375 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There you go.

This is glorious news. Not that Microsoft won't do good with Obsidian, but they are being given one last crack of truly independent game-production on a new IP before operations shift into acquisition mode.

Which makes me wonder why Obsidian felt they couldn't hold out any longer, I wonder if the struggles of Deadfire and the gap to their next game were part of it. I guess with Microsoft, the team that wasn't on Project Indiana will be able to secure immediate funding.

Will this mean that the new IP is as safe as houses within Dark Rock Productions, like Pillars of Eternity?

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You better take the deal when it's there. If they had tried to hold out a bit longer, would they have been able to find a publisher for their next game?  How much money could they actually get through FIG/KS to fund PoE3 or some other game? I'm doubtful it would have been enough.

Sure, they could have made smaller games, but that's not their strategy. I don't know why Feargus didn't do smaller games that have hit potential to get a steady revenue of funds coming in.

What if they lost key personnel? That would make their value for MS lower. If Project Indiana isn't a hit, they value would once again be lower.

With the sales of Deadfire not being as big as expected, it could have meant that would have had to downsize again. After building their company yet again up to 175+ staff members. That would a pretty heavy blow.

• kanisatha likes this

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Will this mean that the new IP is as safe as houses within Dark Rock Productions, like Pillars of Eternity?

The Outer Worlds trademark was registered under Obsidian Entertainment, not under Dark Rock Productions. If Microsoft had any interest in the PoE IP they bought it with the company.

• IndiraLightfoot and InsaneCommander like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Outer Worlds trademark was registered under Obsidian Entertainment, not under Dark Rock Productions. If Microsoft had any interest in the PoE IP they bought it with the company.

The Outer Worlds will be like reverse Mass Effect. Starts as a third-party publications, moves in-house. Microsoft really fudged things for themselves that time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users