Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

Aoyagi

Red panty night for Obsidian??

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-acquires-fallout-new-vegas-star-wars-knights-/1100-6463175/

I hope that this is good news for Obsidian AND inXile.  I expect that WL3 will be published according to plan.  Hope this means that both will have the potential to launch more ambitious projects which require larger teams with greater financial backing, and not needing to launch Kickstarters and Fig campaigns.  I just hope it doesn't mean that they are going to be forced to pursue projects that they don't want to do...

As Microsoft notes itself, these two studios share heritage and develop games in similar genres. The platform holder has said both Obsidian and inXile "will continue to operate autonomously and bring their unique talents, IP, and expertise to Microsoft Studios as they build new RPG experiences for our players and fans."
Hope this is true
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

As Microsoft notes itself, these two studios share heritage and develop games in similar genres. The platform holder has said both Obsidian and inXile "will continue to operate autonomously and bring their unique talents, IP, and expertise to Microsoft Studios as they build new RPG experiences for our players and fans."

Hope this is true

I'm sure it will be for the first few titles they do for MS. Companies don't change over night. I guess it depends on if a studio hits upon a slightly successful formula that is ripe for exploitation.

• Like 1

The question is what Obsidian even wants to do, before any potential MS advice/overrule/interference/freedom. Presumably they would like to do a POE3, but otherwise, what does Obsidian want? Feargus has always wanted to do big budget Skyrim style blockbuster RPGs, which I never thought was Obsidian's strength or its reason for existence (we have other studios to make that stuff), but will that be what he pushes for now, for example?

Obsidian has also always flirted with ARPG style games, and they've always partially/entirely flopped because Obsidian has had difficulties creating really snappy and polished action gameplay. Good ideas were ultimately mired in user frustration for DS3 and AP (and I say that as an AP worshipper). So is that something they now would like to try and do with a bigger budget, and if so, would they necessarily get it right?

There's no real point decrying this as 100% doomed or 100% great at this point. Any such assessment isn't based on facts. Who is even going to take creative lead on Obsidian's next big project? That would also tell us a little bit more. Obsidian no longer has a star writer, they do have one experienced project lead (Sawyer). It will be interesting to see how Outer Worlds turns out, having begun before this happened. (Maybe it was MS-published all along?)

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 2

Better yet,

Can anyone show some examples of Microsoft dictating, manipulating and forcing change into development of projects? All I can see is a good track record with freedoms in association with independent teams under their funding (none of these have been cancelled, unlike the AAA titles) but thought I'd ask to see what members here know, you know, since some are assuming or are worrying that this will be somehow bad for Obsidian's future. *rolls eyes*

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Better yet,

Can anyone show some examples of Microsoft dictating, manipulating and forcing change into development of projects? All I can see is a good track record with freedoms in association with independent teams under their funding (none of these have been cancelled, unlike the AAA titles) but thought I'd ask to see what members here know, you know, since some are assuming or are worrying that this will be somehow bad for Obsidian's future. *rolls eyes*

Lionhead Studios and Fable Legends would be the obvious example of a studio and a project completely messed up by Microsoft's interference.

They also bought Inxile. Don't know how to wtf to that.

I'm expecting an eventual Obsidian and inXile merger in some form.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Better yet,

Lionhead Studios and Fable Legends would be the obvious example of a studio and a project completely messed up by Microsoft's interference.

Lionhead Studios had quite lot of freedom until "Black Monday", as they reference day when Molyneux had bad day and ended to order several key people of Lionhead Studios to leave premises of the company. Molyneux later on apologized his outburst and soon left company too founded 22Cans studios, after that Lionheads Studios had lost big sunk of its leadership, which negatively effected all the projects they were doing and at end they never recovered. It was also same time as Don Mattrick was head of Xbox and other gaming related things and he believed in games as service model and such, which he wanted Lionhead Studios new leadership to embrace. But because Lionhead was never done any projects that even resembled games as service model, so it was not very surprising that they had difficult time with Fable Legends and at end they weren't able to overcome those difficulties before MS decided to cancel the project when it was over year in late and wasn't even close to finish line, even Lionhead's staff excepted MS to cancel the project, although for some closing the studio come as surprise. 

• Like 2

I'm extremely happy that Obsidian now has a more secure position regarding paychecks etc.

I am very skeptical regarding content, though. I only care about CRPGs from Obsidian, so if they won't make PoE3 or something of that style or if the games will be console or microsoft store exclusive, then Obsidian will be dead to me and the re-ignition of my love for games will be a bright and happy chapter closed right there.

Edited by Armanz
  • Like 1

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

Have to admit - if Obsidian games would become microsoft store exclusive, yet remain "obsidian", I might consider switching to win10 (though nothing will force me to move to the console). But for Obsidian's sake will hope they do not switch to "exclusives".

Happy for the team, though. They are all legends of game world.

Edited by Mirandel
  • Like 2

Well, even if this results in games that are console optimized, and resemble nothing of what the Infinity Engine games are about, at least the last 10 years or so have had a good run for pumping out some additional content in that vain. I really just can't help but recall Bioware and how Dragon Age just went so downhill after the first title. These days it's Biowhat? for me, as I haven't paid attention to them in years. They so utterly lost me. We'll see if this time things shake out differently.

Owlcat is another new bastion of hope, as their Pathfinder Kingmaker is even closer the the Infinity Engine than anything Obsidian or inXile have put out recently. Hopefully they can iron out bugs and show that they are capable of creating quality CRPGs. And if not, in another 10 - 15 there will likely be another resurgence of the Infinity Engine style.

I certainly do wish the folks at both companies all the best, and all the success in their new relationship with MS.

• Like 3

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Well, even if this results in games that are console optimized, and resemble nothing of what the Infinity Engine games are about, at least the last 10 years or so have had a good run for pumping out some additional content in that vain. I really just can't help but recall Bioware and how Dragon Age just went so downhill after the first title. These days it's Biowhat? for me, as I haven't paid attention to them in years. They so utterly lost me. We'll see if this time things shake out differently.

I think the biggest risk to infinity-like games is the market and the perceptions of the producer. The biggest risk to Obsidian's trade-mark style will likely be new hires that want to make their own mark on the industry and aren't as interested in developing the same skills the eventually leaving senior creators had.

I'm looking at games published by Microsoft and seeing how great they are...

-Sunset Overdrive

-Quantum Break

-Super Lucky's Tale

-Dust: An Elysian Tale

-Ori And The Blind Forest

-Mark Of The Ninja

-Killer Instinct

-Max: Curse Of The Brotherhood

Nobody here is mentioning these games, I'm assuming they're not being mentioned because they aren't Crpg but we should give credit where it's due. Like Obsidian, these are small development companies and the track record for Microsoft proves they've done more well than not.

Also, people are acting as if there's nochanve of Obsidian's new games not being available to the pc audience or that if the games come to pc then there somehow bound to Windows store. All of this is superstitious and common paranoia driven by the usual forum brigade, all evidence proves to contrary of what members here are claiming, after all.

And yes, all the games I listed are from this generation and they are all available on Steam (except Sunset OD which isn't out yet). Point being, some peeps could take a breath - no need to worry about things that more than likely do not exist as certainly none of those ip's listed "lack" in quality or content and yet are handled by Microsoft.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Just wanted to drop my two cents: I am gravely worried the obsidian will go the “Bioware route” – Obsidian is my favourite studio and I have been pre-purchasing/crowdfunding all of their titles, but with this acquisition..

Well, next game they are going to release, will be the first I will wait for reviews. And subsequent ones, too.

I'm looking at games published by Microsoft and seeing how great they are...

Guy

-Sunset Overdrive

-Quantum Break

-Super Lucky's Tale

-Dust: An Elysian Tale

-Ori And The Blind Forest

-Mark Of The Ninja

-Killer Instinct

-Max: Curse Of The Brotherhood

Nobody here is mentioning these games, I'm assuming they're not being mentioned because they aren't Crpg but we should give credit where it's due. Like Obsidian, these are small development companies and the track record for Microsoft proves they've done more well than not.

That's a list of games I'm never going to touch.

If Obsidian remains a AA developer and don't go the soulless MTX based AAA route I'll be happy with that.

I'll judge whatever there next game is on its merits, but no way I'm touching the MS store though.

Of course if what they do next ends up exclusively on the MS store then I can find something else to play, no doubt about that.

So no entitlement from me.

• Like 1

Do we know if MS also bought out Project Indiana (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky's Dream Game) from Private-Division? I'd assume so, but it's not clear. The last independent game from Obsidian could be quite the keeper for Take-Two, especially for this new publishing venture of theirs.

Do we know if MS also bought out Project Indiana (Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky's Dream Game) from Private-Division? I'd assume so, but it's not clear. The last independent game from Obsidian could be quite the keeper for Take-Two, especially for this new publishing venture of theirs.

Private Division is still the publisher for Project Indiana.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Wonder if it'll go like Bungie.

?

Bungie was bought by MS as a fairly minor entity, but bought themselves out (ie went independent again) later after the success of the Halos.

Then they went cahoots with Activision, told more lies than Peter Molyneux with Destiny 2, and are now forced to add MORE MTX to their MTX-simulator by said Activision to make up for gamers not wanting anything to do with that deceitful company.

Not exactly a success-story.

Edited by Hassat Hunter
  • Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They were a success story at the point they went independent again and they did go from a studio with promise but limited sales to being synonymous with Halo. As such they were also a very successful acquisition for MS as well.

Guess the lesson really is that we should be glad that OEI hasn't been sold to the black hole of creativity that is Activision instead.

• Like 1

Man, it's a surprise to me than Obsiadian was sold to Microsoft... I didn't play the game, but Deadfire looked to be so good (I already bought and don't feel regret)!

My hope is a PoE 3 to finish the Watcher's tale or if the possibility of a new game be so low, the upcoming dlc Forgotten Sanctum give us something like Thorne of Bhaal to finish the series.

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

Got a source? This is awesome news if true.

Got a source? This is awesome news if true.

More like there's no source saying that this isn't still true.