Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

Aoyagi

I read Jason Schreier's book - "Blood, Sweat and Pixels" and he wrote interesting things about Obsidian making Stormlands which was canceled and situation of Ensemble. Without supervision from Microsoft Ensemble divided itself into few cliques which were making sci-fi Diablo clone, sci-fi WoW clone and console RTS while main team was warking on Age of Empires. It seamed that Microsoft didn't care much about things going on in Ensemble as long as they were working on Age of Empires 3 and later when console RTS was swtiched into Halo Wars. But the troubles came later.

Guess I need to check this out.

A lot of Ensemble's closing seems motivated by Microsoft fearing it's PC Games division would somehow undercut the Xbox brand. If Microsoft can somehow unify Xbox with Windows and make the two brands sing in unison then I think Obsidian has a better chance. Especially if they games are cross-platform but ultimately exclusively Microsoft either way.

The only reason to cheer for exclusivity is because first-parties that do bolster the overall buy-in into the brand are generally well patronized and supported. Hopefully Microsoft knows what they are doing because Obsidian is one of the last gems of the old publishing model.

A lot of Ensemble's closing seems motivated by Microsoft fearing it's PC Games division would somehow undercut the Xbox brand. If Microsoft can somehow unify Xbox with Windows and make the two brands sing in unison then I think Obsidian has a better chance. Especially if they games are cross-platform but ultimately exclusively Microsoft either way.

The only reason to cheer for exclusivity is because first-parties that do bolster the overall buy-in into the brand are generally well patronized and supported. Hopefully Microsoft knows what they are doing because Obsidian is one of the last gems of the old publishing model.

Microsoft seems to have figure that out with their Play Anywhere program, although I'm not sure if it has proven to be profitable for them. 

The only IP Obsidian owns is Pillars, a niche PC CRPG, an engine to make Cavalier Oblique 2.5D games, and tools for making RPGs. I'm confident if Microsoft buys Obsidian key talent will leave. I also think a portion of the fans of Pillars won't use the Microsoft Store, won't play on Xbox, or won't buy the game at all.

The only IP Obsidian owns is Pillars, a niche PC CRPG, an engine to make Cavalier Oblique 2.5D games, and tools for making RPGs. I'm confident if Microsoft buys Obsidian key talent will leave. I also think a portion of the fans of Pillars won't use the Microsoft Store, won't play on Xbox, or won't buy the game at all.

Well, they do have that new project in the works with Private Division, it's possible Microsoft wants to buy Take-Two out of that venture for themselves. This is the big project using Unreal. Some of the older talent may really want to get their "one time shot" at a dream project, and Microsoft might be willing to see what sticks. Leaving a company before you see how things shake out is unlikely, given that would be a radical life change for anyone.

I think the later point is very apt. Even if Microsoft made an rpg of my dreams, I'm not buying into Xbox for one game. Especially when there are other exclusives that I really want to play as well. It's a cost-benefit analysis, and it's likely I'd rather play a different set of titles where the price makes more sense. Then if I miss out on the title, and sequels start rolling out I might be fine missing out what I'm not aware of. Which is why Microsoft needs to learn how to sustain it's studios for decades, just like Sony and Nintendo. Hell, even some of the third parties have better track records with their "golden studios" in terms of developer support and goodwill.

• Like 1

Microsoft wouldn't know about that I imagine, given that it's an arrangement between Private Division and Obsidian. Also they haven't see that game, no one has bought it yet.

I thought it was a medium project anyway, Private Division said themselves they're not funding to AAA levels, it can't be that big of a project.

When Microsoft bought Rare people left. When Microsoft bought Ensemble people left. When Microsoft bought Lionhead people left. Bungie had a bit of different relationship and were well into Halo.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I think the later point is very apt. Even if Microsoft made an rpg of my dreams, I'm not buying into Xbox for one game. 

To clarify, the Xbox store sells games for the PC and Xbox. You buy it once and can play it on either platform. I'm not sure if that wokrs for all titles, but I think it applies to all Microsoft exclusive ones.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Edited by Hurlshot

People left Ensemble before MS bought it, MS's money gave them several years more life than what they would have had without MS.

Rare was dying after Nintendo ended their partnership with them, MS buying them has given them continued ability to exists.

Microsoft's current acquisition strategy is also different form their past as they try to collect big first party portfolio of studios to makes different style games, as they don't anymore try to make Xbox their primary gaming platform, instead they seem to seek edge from offering variety instead of locked solution.

Microsoft wouldn't know about that I imagine, given that it's an arrangement between Private Division and Obsidian. Also they haven't see that game, no one has bought it yet.

I thought it was a medium project anyway, Private Division said themselves they're not funding to AAA levels, it can't be that big of a project.

If we know about it, MS will know about it. And as a major console maker the chances of MS having seen Indiana/ Outer Worlds/ Untitled Caiyarsky Game is pretty high even early in its development. Outer Worlds is definitively an Obsidian trademark, not Take 2/ Private Division.

Word Mark THE OUTER WORLDS

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing online games in the nature of video games; Entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring computer games and video games that are played online; Entertainment services, namely, providing a website featuring non-downloadable news, information, tips, hints, contests, computer interface themes, enhancements in the nature of loot boxes for use within an online computer and video game service, additional features for an online computer and video game service, and additional content for an online computer and video game service, audio-visual content, music, films, videos, ongoing television programs, animated series, and other multimedia materials, all in the field of computer games and video games; providing information, news and commentary in the field of computer games and video games

Standard Characters Claimed  

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 87769046

Filing Date January 24, 2018

Current Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Published for Opposition October 2, 2018

Owner (APPLICANT) Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 100 Spectrum Center Drive., Suite 200 Irvine CALIFORNIA 92618

Attorney of Record Jonathan Pearce

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(I bet a shiny dollar that the forum software borks the formatting on that despite the supposed wysiwyg. And I'm a dollar richer)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

It's strange how a developer that made some of the best console games of the 90's can struggle really badly in 2001 and ask to be bought out by Nintendo, Activision, or Microsoft. In the end Rare was going to die regardless of who bought them.

It's why I have pledged a lot of money to Kickstarter, the model is broken, the publishers are not good for the industry. Why does Obsidian need to sell to Microsoft to die in a few years? I want developers to own IP, to receive the majority of royalties from sales, to reinvest into development.

I don't understand after what happened at Interplay, what happened with Microsoft cancelling a project, how anyone at Obsidian thinks it's a good idea. The same type of people are still at Microsoft, they think and act like the idiots at Interplay.

PC gaming has a bigger share of revenue, a larger market than the consoles, all of them, that's despite publishers for 20 years under investing in PC games, despite development being console led producing worse games on PC.

MS is filthy rich with money. They throw a huge sum of money to Feargus and Co and they become fat happy and rich. Probably can even stop making games and enjoy life. If i'm Feargus and Co i probably do the same. It's all about money.

It's strange how a developer that made some of the best console games of the 90's can struggle really badly in 2001 and ask to be bought out by Nintendo, Activision, or Microsoft. In the end Rare was going to die regardless of who bought them.

It's why I have pledged a lot of money to Kickstarter, the model is broken, the publishers are not good for the industry. Why does Obsidian need to sell to Microsoft to die in a few years? I want developers to own IP, to receive the majority of royalties from sales, to reinvest into development.

I don't understand after what happened at Interplay, what happened with Microsoft cancelling a project, how anyone at Obsidian thinks it's a good idea. The same type of people are still at Microsoft, they think and act like the idiots at Interplay.

PC gaming has a bigger share of revenue, a larger market than the consoles, all of them, that's despite publishers for 20 years under investing in PC games, despite development being console led producing worse games on PC.

MS is filthy rich with money. They throw a huge sum of money to Feargus and Co and they become fat happy and rich. Probably can even stop making games and enjoy life. If i'm Feargus and Co i probably do the same. It's all about money.

• Like 6

You don't get filthy rich by overpaying on investments though. They aren't going to get a Bioware type offer. 

If it was all about the money then they wouldn't be in the games business, Obsidian wouldn't exist, and they certainly wouldn't have been making RPGs for the PC. Owners of companies generally care about their company and their employees. Which isn't to say they don't have a price, but that price would be pretty high, even for Microsoft, especially considering how little interest Microsoft has shown to what Obsidian can offer. Also if someone ****ed me over and made me lay off a bunch of staff, I'd hardly be inclined to hand over anything I care about to them.

Hopefully this ends up being nothing more than a rumor. If Microsoft does buy them out, I guess we can look forward to playing the dumbed-down Pillars of Eternity 3: Backfire.

if microsoft does buy obsidian

can only hope that poe are not valuable enough for them

and if obsidian survive this become independent again have another chance to make poe3

• Like 1

Well, I guess this is why PoE is not running under Obsidian, but that other company which name I forgot. So even if MS will buy Obsidian, that doesn't mean they will get Pillars.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."