Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

Aoyagi

Yep, very sad news. I can see that many of you want to look for the rainbow in the dark clouds but I tend to be a harsh realist, and my realist senses tell me this will spell the end of our Obsidian, the Obsidian who's games we've loved all these years. Heck, you can even tell from that very terse statement from Take Two how palpably worried they are about what happens to Project Indiana.

This kinda' explains the exodus of people from Obsidian in recent months.

Bottom line for me, I won't buy from the Windows Store, and I won't buy console games. So if that's the direction a Microsoft-controlled Obsidian takes, I will sadly have to cease being their customer after all these years.

Now I guess we just wait for that canned statement from Feargus telling us all how wonderful the future's going to be because everything will be just the same only better. HAHA.

• Like 6

Heck, you can even tell from that very terse statement from Take Two how palpably worried they are about what happens to Project Indiana.

I doubt it. Project Indiana must be the linchpin of this deal - it's the prime evidence as to why Obsidian is worth buying. Everything about is probably being arranged to all involved parties' satisfaction.

Hmm.. depends on the deal id say. If its done like ms did with mojang, than id say, could go the right way. Mainly to keep supporting multiple Plattforms and dont make it a proprietary Win10 Software.
But if MS uses Obsidian Products to give more weight to their win10 / Store / UWP Stuff and try to spread what no on really wants, than it wont be that ideal.
Lets hope Obsidian keeps its charme and nature.

• Like 1

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, I hope it doesn't mark the end of Obsidian being one of the last studios to release high quality PC games. I also hope it doesn't cause an exodus of talent from the company. But if it does (and my guy says it does), I'll just say I'm grateful for all the good times. F:NV is probably my all time favorite game. I love Alpha Protocol, warts and all. PoE 1 & 2 are some of the best titles you can find on PC. NWN2 was also great when I finally got to in my backlog. I hope the future is bright for Obsidian.

• Like 4

M-maybe it will be a good thing??

Last of Us was made by Naughty Dog, a studio owned by Sony

Horizon: Zero Dawn was made by Guerrilla Games, a studio owned by Sony

Yeah, maybe it is a good thing

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Don’t know much about gaming politics - is it a new turn for Obsidian? They worked with publishers before. Or is that entirely different kind of a deal (the previous ones being one game contracts, while here they will be subjects of Microsofts will?).

• Like 1

M-maybe it will be a good thing??

Last of Us was made by Naughty Dog, a studio owned by Sony

Horizon: Zero Dawn was made by Guerrilla Games, a studio owned by Sony

Yeah, maybe it is a good thing

Does anyone remember Rare, Ensemble, Aces, and Lionhead? Slow and disappointing death march. Working under Microsoft is so good Bungie is now an independent company.

Remember when Microsoft bought Bungie and made them stop developing Halo for Windows? How about the time Microsoft paid Cyrstal Dynamics to delay the release of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Windows for 3 months?

• Like 1

Over the past couple decades, there haven't been a whole lot of independent game development companies for which things end well.  A 14-year run as its own thing-- in spite of a whole lot of missteps along the way-- is pretty remarkable. 

If this is how it plays out, slow digestion by one of the big players probably works out a lot better for the owners and employees than closing up shop after one disappointment too many. 

• Like 9

Obsidian has just become more secure in revenue. Releasing more games per year than ever, owning an IP i.e. getting royalties on sales. Obsidian might have sold when they had trouble securing jobs with publishers like Microsoft pulling the plug on contracts, but they wouldn't sell when they are on the up.

Also Microsoft wouldn't be interested in a PC RPG developer, that's hardly going to effect their Xbox platform.

If you want to make money you always sell when you're at peak, and have the promise of more revenue to come.  That increases your value exponentially compared to selling when you're on the way down (and potentially struggling to even find a buyer).

Microsoft would absolutely be interested in a PC RPG developer, because those games can be ported to the Xbox platform - especially since they are adding mouse and keyboard support to their API for developers to use if they wish.

Also, Microsoft would be interested in adding any successful IP to their stable at this point - they want to build that moving forward and - more importantly - deny those properties to Sony.  They know the lack of exclusives was their main problem this gen, and they're looking to change that.  That's the whole reason they've been buying so many studios.

So this means no Pillars 3 unless it's fps xbox exclusive?

Seriously this is bad news for people who actually like, support (KS) and buy Obsidian games, I mean just look at how EA butchered Bioware beyond repair, yeah like Anthem is going do well for people looking for ME 1-3, Baldur's Gate and DA:O?!

Edited by AstroCat
  • Like 2

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Eh. Corporations are slow and lumbering monstrosities; when did EA buy Bioware, 2007? And they're not yet completely dead. So we possibly have another 10 years (and a good game or two made during them) before annihil...pardon, assimilation. And if gaming industry keeps developing as laboriously, some other studio gotta fill the vacuum left after Obsidian's demise.  :yes:

So this means no Pillars 3 unless it's fps xbox exclusive?

Microsoft have been pretty decent with PC releases lately. They released 5 titles on Steam last month. Including Recore.

I'm still amazed and delighted that they released Halo Wars on Steam last year. Then there's the support they continued to give Age of Empires II.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."