Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft

Aoyagi

it would be a goodbye to PC gaming.

CRPGs is what Obsidian does right and good, but on XBOX? no way!

and it's microsoft, so it will be Windows10 only(no linux and no mac) :/

oh and don't forget the awfull **** that is the Microsoft (games) Store(no Steam or GOG)  :/

• Like 1

It'd be funnier if EA bought them instead.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It'd be funnier if EA bought them instead.

I love when the word funny is a replacement for tragic.

They're both the same when you feed off anguish.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm torn between my love of Obsidian and disdain for what Microsoft has been doing with Windows 10 and especially Windows Store. But if that means good things for Obsidian and its crew... I just hope this doesn't backfire on them.

• Like 2

If this helps securing the jobs for all the great employees at Obsidian, I'm really happy for their sakes.

And if Obsidian gets to continue doing what they're so very good at, but with more resources, then that's good news. 

But I detest Windows Store and a lot of the things that Microsoft snuck into Win 10, like so many others.

And in the long run, I fear a development like Bioware, which pretty quickly lost its CRPG soul, touch and vibe, only to crash pretty hard in that field.

• Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

What bums me out is the likelihood that the forums will become a much more strict experience. :(

We migrate to an unofficial forum?

Strict forums seem to result from large populations where cheeky conflict devolves into groups bludgeoning out other groups or individual voices.

• Like 1

And in the long run, I fear a development like Bioware, which pretty quickly lost its CRPG soul, touch and vibe, only to crash pretty hard in that field.

I think that's inevitable in any buy out. At some point the heart and soul of old Obsidian would be usurped by Microsoft corporate and a new guard of employees. I guarantee if they are bought, some 10 years later you'll see the "studio conspicuously still named Obsidian" using it's lineage to bolster it's reputation while at the same time disparaging the design philosophies of old (many of which are timeless) and the fans who had supported the studio through it's history who dare remind people of the branding facade.

Let's hope Microsoft is smart enough to maintain a small traditional or crpg-focused design division within Obsidian even if it has small profit margins. I couldn't care less if they had some more safe AAA experiences as long as they don't axe the more heartfelt creative environment that draws from ttrpgs and strong diversity of thought writing.

• Like 1

“Unfortunately, we don’t comment on rumors or speculation other than to say that the Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac still holds up,” said an Obsidian spokesperson.

:biggrin:

• Like 10

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Came here after RPS report about Kodaku report. Having a publisher support comes with a cash to support a bigger project. But man, major publishers so rarely make actual games nowadays, unless it's Sony exclusive. Still we won't get game on scale of Fallout: New Vegas with crowdfunding. 

I hope this isn't true, I know they aren't as bad as EA but they are still a major publisher. They don't make the kind of games I love because they "aren't profitable enough". Major publishers are barely even making games anymore, they are just making trash designed to suck money out of people.

• Like 2

I just posted this image in another thread, but after reading your comments, I reckon it fits the mood here as well, stockstamped and all, since we are to expect stock games in the future…

39184899-sad-man-looks-at-the-bottle-of-

"You must gather your third party before venturing forth."

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Rumours* as it's spelt correctly. It is one of the best albums ever made. Fleetwood Mac, known for answering the question whether cocaine helps or hinders performance and creativity.

I'm still not sure what the answer to that question is...

(Rumours is also fine, but no way is it one of the best albums ever made.)

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

What bums me out is the likelihood that the forums will become a much more strict experience. :(

Strict forums seem to result from large populations where cheeky conflict devolves into groups bludgeoning out other groups or individual voices.

We all move to the Codex.

:lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 11

Cool. Congrats to the owners (minus MCA) on their payoff. I can only imagine the purchase price will be somewhere in the region between Harebrained Schemes and BioWare.

Hope they can still develop smaller-scale projects.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo...   ;( :)

Does that mean that we'll have to buy Obsidian games from the Windows store? Meh! I prefer GoG and Steam.

Speak for yourself. I'm already at RPGWatch. :teehee:

Edited by LittleRose