Well, location aside, at this point I would like some New Weird-influenced stuff, more along the lines of what Mask of the Betrayer was doing. Ixamitl seems like a good place to do that, or maybe Old Vailia if we want to play up the whole Fallen Rome angle.

Barring that, gimme a big Renaissance kerfluffle in the Vailian Republics.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I would like to see them retain the same game engine and mechanics and do a whole new story in a whole new setting that has nothing to do with eora or the pillars world.

IMO the current writing and world lore has let this game down.

It would be good to see them retain this technology and let another completely different narrative team have a new go.

• Like 1

As far as location goes I would love to see the Aedyr Empire.

But I sincerely hope they give us a new main character instead of reusing the watcher every time. You can only do the "reset-to-level-1" thing so many times before it gets annoying. Plus, some fresh new companions could be nice. Alternatively they could have us play a reincarnation of the watcher a century or more after the events of Deadfire.

It would also be great if they crafted a storyline that wasn't all about the gods and reincarnation like the last two.

I'm thinking we might get one more Watcher game. I don't really have any hopes or desires for a setting for that to be honest, they've got a bunch of cool locations to choose from to be sure.

In the future, I really hope they will move both back and foward in the timeline. I would love to see the world go forward with new technical innovations and all that, as well as checking out the history of Eora. I hope they will not feel the need to keep everything Pillars be contained within the same timeframe.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

PoE 3 should take place 200-300 years in the future(19th century feel) where the influence of the Gods is waning and industrialization is happening. Everyone from PoE and Deadfire is dead while the story isn't neurotically divided between chasing a statue and playing politics with factions. Most importantly, there is a codpiece revolver similar to what Sex Machine in From Dusk till Dawn had.

This I would actually also be okay with. A 19th century fantasy game would be neat. We could have fantasy Marxism clashing against fantasy fascism. As long as the material is given appropriate consideration (and there is no option to let fascism win, because as much as I love options in role playing, **** fascism).

More likely the fantasy Paris Commune and the fantasy split of the 1st international, fantasy fascism would be 50 or so years after.

I don't think It would need to be as much as 200 years in the future. Rautai is already entering the industrial revolution. Once that happens change happens rapidly.

Mostly I want a new protagonist because the Watcher would have to be set back to level 1 again and there's not much more they can do. Also new characters instead of getting the band back together.

Will there be a Pillars of Eternity 3??? Deadfire was 50-60% more expensive than the first game but the sales aren't as strong despite the developers releasing free content. Plus Josh Sawyer has already stated he's taking a break from directing. Also with the success of Divinity (a game I don't really like) I feel that other developers will also follow route, including Obsidian. They might make a Pillars spin-off that's turn-based and has multiplayer components.

Probably, Deadfire was rated well, and we've seen two crowdfunding campaigns get Obsidian about 4 million for the series.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh we changed the thread title?

Pillars 3 predictions:

1. Rymrgand is the antagonist (and we get to kill the antagonist this time)

2. Alliances with the gods to achieve 1

3. We finally get to find out who dropped that tree in front of Cilant Ali’s (my guess is Eothas)

4. Origin of Eothas and the exact nature of his relationship with the Watcher uncovered

5. End of the Watcher of Caed Nua’s story arc

• Like 6

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Oh we changed the thread title?

Threads were merged and given a new title.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For location my prediction and desire agree on Ixamitl Plains

A setting focused on regular kiths dealing with big repercussions situations; and Ixamitl Plains, being a culture with philosophers, would be great for this

As for returning companions i think Ydwin should come back, maybe Aloth or Eder (preferable as temporals) Zahua as a final temporal, and a Durance cameo with a short dialogue that will make you ****

More mature. And on tone i hope is like PoE and no Deafire. Over the base tone, the use of companions to change the overall tone, like a companion that makes the world less grey, one that makes you quit the game and life, one that makes it almost apt to 5+ and casuals ( but still good quality)

And a wish: Less creative restrictions, don't build around a mold. Not every companion has to be for everyone, or have the same quantity of lines or banter or relationships, or be permanent, etc. The same for factions and other elements if there happen to be

Edited by esyvjrt

And a wish: Less creative restrictions, don't build around a mold. Not every companion has to be for everyone, or have the same quantity of lines or banter or relationships, or be permanent, etc. The same for factions and other elements if there happen to be

They could add some sidekicks that really hate each other (or the mc, depending on their choices). Make it easier for the party to start fighting each other (and it doesn't need to be fatal). :p

sign.jpg

There are stories of OBS being purchased by MicroSoft in a recent leak

In what way can this be on-topic you may ask? (I would)

Here's why I think POE3 is on the table...

Find the MOST viewed topic here (I think the count is 400k)

Assume only SOME of us join forums - typically interaction is 1%, let's be safe and assume 10% (all latter is a guess)

This means that POE2 has PROBABLY sold 4M copies

OBS income thereby becomes around $80M or so

Would such a company be a Microsoft target? Too right it would.

They take an out-dated gaming system, modernise and enhance it and make bundles of cash

Obviously I love RPGs so don't consider Infinity and it's branches out of date (hey - I adore Monkey Island)

The Q is if M$ wanna do XBox versions - seems likely...

Why buy a company? To create more product!

So...

POE3 is highly likely

Geez - I spend too much time analysing things :)

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

It should have the game as the prelude to Pillars of Eternity .

It should be about the Saints War and a young Durance and his Party that slayed a God with The God Hammer.

The game should be darker, gritter, and more mature.

Of course your going to need Chris Avellone back on board to do the writing for characters like Durance. (contract for hire)

There could be a young Eder in there too.

Just going forward with another location etc isn't that great of an idea.  it's time to create the Story that is told in Pillars.

Good Luck!

Avellone will never work with Obsidian again I'd wager.

I don't want a Pillars 3. I love the games but I don't want to play the same game with a fresh coat of paint every few years. I want to see this team move on to another original work.

• Like 1

Your guess is way off.

According to the Steam leak that was accurate up to July, Pillars 1 had sold just under 1.3 mil units on Steam, Tyranny was around 560K units.  Deadfire despite being out for a few months wasn't even on the leak which stop reporting under 237K units.  Even assuming that Deadfire was somewhere around 230K units on Steam and GOG moved 20% of that number (probably generous) that'd still put Deadfire between 200-300K units, no where near 4 million.  

Your guess is way off.

According to the Steam leak that was accurate up to July, Pillars 1 had sold just under 1.3 mil units on Steam, Tyranny was around 560K units.  Deadfire despite being out for a few months wasn't even on the leak which stop reporting under 237K units.  Even assuming that Deadfire was somewhere around 230K units on Steam and GOG moved 20% of that number (probably generous) that'd still put Deadfire between 200-300K units, no where near 4 million.  

Steam sales aren't entirely reliable since they don't include preorders/fig backers, which comprise the vast majority of early Deadfire sales (i.e. most of the people on this forum). GOG doesn't release it's sales numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if about 30-35% of players picked GOG.

Considering Deadfire sold 230k units on steam without counting fig backers/preorders, I'd say it did pretty well thus far. Could very well become a sleep seller over the years.

Edited by Taevyr

Your guess is way off.

Steam sales aren't entirely reliable since they don't include preorders/fig backers, which comprise the vast majority of early Deadfire sales (i.e. most of the people on this forum). GOG doesn't release it's sales numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if about 30-35% of players picked GOG.

Considering Deadfire sold 230k units on steam without counting fig backers/preorders, I'd say it did pretty well thus far. Could very well become a sleep seller over the years.

Problem is we don't know that 230K units were sold at all.  That was me making up a number.   It could be 150K units for all we know.  The only think we know is that its under 237K.

Secondly as far as I know the leaked data was based on cheevos so unless a lot of people bought the game and never played it beyond a couple of minutes that would include preorder redemptions on Steam.   Now it wouldn't count people that immediately used the console commands but that would also be true for PoE1 and Tyranny as well, so comparing those games against Deadfire would be valid.  Also if you wanted to look at concurrent users information from Steamcharts, Deadfire's high was around 22K vs PoE1's 41K.  So I think its probably fair to say Deadfire probably is probably doing slightly better than half as well as PoE1 at launch.  

So honestly I'd say anywhere around 200-400K is a reasonable guess (200-300K would be my guess), 4 million units is not (which was my main point).

4 million is definitely ridiculous, but I'm fairly certain Deadfire did alright for a relatively niche AA game: the fig campaign was a huge success, and if algroth's correct 300-325k sales seems a realistic assumption when you count in steam, gog and other retail stores like amazon.

Sales were likely bumped early August as well, with the release of BoW. It'll never reach the crazy level of D:OS2, but I doubt anyone expected that.

• Like 2

4 million is definitely ridiculous, but I'm fairly certain Deadfire did alright for a relatively niche AA game: the fig campaign was a huge success, and if algroth's correct 300-325k sales seems a realistic assumption when you count in steam, gog and other retail stores like amazon.

Sales were likely bumped early August as well, with the release of BoW. It'll never reach the crazy level of D:OS2, but I doubt anyone expected that.

Agreed.   I think ultimately Deadfire will make a pretty penny for Obsidian.  It might not end up matching the first game but there is also the consoles release coming which will be a sales bump.

Agreed. I think ultimately Deadfire will make a pretty penny for Obsidian. It might not end up matching the first game but there is also the consoles release coming which will be a sales bump.

I wonder how the console port will help with sales. I don't remember if they spoke about console ports for PoE but they announced it off the bat with Deadfire. Does that mean they sold at a profit for consoles last time.

FYI - I will be preordering Deadfire on PS4 as soon as they get a date available. Either disc with all DLC like PoE Complete Edition (or season pass bundle on PSN).

I plan on backing them if they do another PoE..If Microsoft would become their publisher, would they do another campaign or would Microsoft fund them?

I think Paradox did a great job with the console port. Sadly, they didn't include Deadfire items for console because Versus Evil may not let or did they just give up on patching? Their Single Weapon talent is still Graze to Hit instead of Hit to Crit, lol..

I really hope they continue the series in the future. I know the team is still patching and releasing DLC so we are ahead of the game but they shouldn't wait too long after the development/life cycle of Deadfire is over.

The Steam sales leak didn't cut off at 237k units, and Deadfire did figure in it at 203k. From my understanding that was roughly on par with how the first Pillars did at that point in time.

It's also pretty much normal for CRPGs in general, including the Infinity and Aurora Engine games, which were ultimately extremely successful. In general, these games don't sell like hotcakes immediately, and so it becomes a question of how well they do over the course of 1-5 years. 200k in three or four months is a pretty solid, standard number.

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

My guess is based off the 400k reads of one topic in this forum

Steam + Gog won't count pre-orders as sales. OBS got > $4m in pre-sales so at a rough count 150k.

You can then take the 400k views as a starting point

Maybe we have a higher engagement rate than typical - I would be surprised if the number was under a million sales

I do know they keep shifting staff around - these are all promotions I believe from support to other areas of the company

I have PMs from community managers who have moved position (really upsets my group)

Why knock a game you love?

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks