Nah. Onward and forward, not backward. Not only am I not interested in seeing the Saint's War (we got more than enough in PoE), I want to see other places. Like the Living Lands. With my Watcher would be nice, but a new character would be fine too if its impractical to thread it through a third game.

This assumes there will be a Pillars 3, of course (though I certainly hope there will be.)

• Like 3

I confess part of me would like to see a game (A spin off) set before the current Gods were created and warring factions were attempting to cement their religion as the correct one. I'm not a religious man myself but I've always appreciated the way Obsidian has approached religion in the past (I can't say I like Joshua Graham like I would Eder but I do think he's a great character.) and I'd be interested in seeing how Obsidian handled the varies aspects of having faith or none at all.

I suppose it would be an unpleasant game though.

Edited by Big-Ben
  • Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

One of the things I love about the POE setting is that it is based off of the late Age of Exploration / early colonialism. This was a dynamic moment in world history, as it was the beginning of global trade networks, and all of the innovations and evils that came with them. Exploring these themes in a fantasy setting is a nice deviation from a typical High Middle Ages settings that we often see in fantasy. I don't want to move back in history. POE is good where it is, temporally speaking. 

• Like 2

One of the things I love about the POE setting is that it is based off of the late Age of Exploration / early colonialism. This was a dynamic moment in world history, as it was the beginning of global trade networks, and all of the innovations and evils that came with them. Exploring these themes in a fantasy setting is a nice deviation from a typical High Middle Ages settings that we often see in fantasy. I don't want to move back in history. POE is good where it is, temporally speaking. 

Obs does pretty well with relatively unexplored RPG settings, though my favourite would be Tyranny's early Iron age setting. It's also why I fear a sequel set in Aedyr would be too bread-and-butter, considering, for example, the feudal system and ban on animancy.

Edited by Taevyr

PoE3 should be when we take it to the Gods!

It? Haven't seen any clowns running around Eora thus far, but It could still be hibernating for all we know. It'd probably get on fine with Rymrgand and Skaen though, so long as they aren't terrified of It.

It? Haven't seen any clowns running around Eora thus far, but It could still be hibernating for all we know. It'd probably get on fine with Rymrgand and Skaen though, so long as they aren't terrified of It.

But isn't It only knock and knowall, and don't we like It? It is here. It is now.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

PoE 3 should take place 200-300 years in the future(19th century feel) where the influence of the Gods is waning and industrialization is happening. Everyone from PoE and Deadfire is dead while the story isn't neurotically divided between chasing a statue and playing politics with factions. Most importantly, there is a codpiece revolver similar to what Sex Machine in From Dusk till Dawn had.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

PoE 3 should take place 200-300 years in the future(19th century feel) where the influence of the Gods is waning and industrialization is happening. Everyone from PoE and Deadfire is dead while the story isn't neurotically divided between chasing a statue and playing politics with factions. Most importantly, there is a codpiece revolver similar to what Sex Machine in From Dusk till Dawn had.

This I would actually also be okay with. A 19th century fantasy game would be neat. We could have fantasy Marxism clashing against fantasy fascism. As long as the material is given appropriate consideration (and there is no option to let fascism win, because as much as I love options in role playing, **** fascism).

• Like 1

I don't think It would need to be as much as 200 years in the future. Rautai is already entering the industrial revolution. Once that happens change happens rapidly. 

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I'm not familiar with an "it" but I do know if an "IT".

I actually think Eder is the only one of those that is a 100% lock on reappearing.

Doesn't his ending basically say he chooses to stick with the watcher regardless of the outcome?

Short answer, no it doesn't.

Longer answer.

Depending on if you save his "maybe" son and how you handle it he stays in the Deadfire to raise the kid.  He only sticks with you if the kid dies and you give him the "screw eothas, screw your past, screw everyone not named the Watcher" ending.

• Like 1

Will there be a Pillars of Eternity 3??? Deadfire was 50-60% more expensive than the first game but the sales aren't as strong despite the developers releasing free content. Plus Josh Sawyer has already stated he's taking a break from directing. Also with the success of Divinity (a game I don't really like) I feel that other developers will also follow route, including Obsidian. They might make a Pillars spin-off that's turn-based and has multiplayer components.

• Like 1

This I would actually also be okay with. A 19th century fantasy game would be neat. We could have fantasy Marxism clashing against fantasy fascism. As long as the material is given appropriate consideration (and there is no option to let fascism win, because as much as I love options in role playing, **** fascism).

Bleh...

I love the idea that industrialization won't be happening in Eora and that the world can take a different path towards the future.

Also, I'd be pissed if they time-skipped on the third game. Give us one more with The Watcher, then explore other stories in the series down the road.

• Like 2

A couple disclaimer type notes:

1) I'm saying will, not would, for brevity.  There's no confirmation that there will be a third game, or that if there was another Pillars game that it would be a direct continuation of 1 and 2, but I think Deadfire does some solid set up for a potential third game and there's a solid possibility for it to happen.

2) I'm not sure if this is better for General or Spoilers.  This thread will definitely have spoiler tags in the General forum, but I'm sure people have thoughts on this topic even if they haven't beaten the game yet.   Sorry for the trouble, ahead of time, if this has to be moved!

---

I finished Deadfire a few weeks ago and have since started a new playthrough of PoE1, which I never played the DLC for (planning to move to 2 again after).  Something I noticed this time around is that there are actually a lot of small references and conversations about the RDC, the Vailians, and the Deadfire Archipelago.  I was most surprised by how often I saw the last, because I didn't remember those Deadfire Archipelago references at all.  I must have completely written them off as general worldbuilding. 

So this got me thinking that there may be similar lore build up and hints with a mind for the next game.  Others have mentioned Rekke hints a lot to a region that we know very little about, so if I were to guess right now, I would suspect that or the Vailian Republics to be the next setting or one of multiple settings, or to have a faction coming from that place.  But I didn't keep an eye out for this kind of content when I first played.  

Do you all have any suspicions or ideas on what the next setting will be?  I'm really curious if anything stuck out to anybody.

Hopefully Ixamitl Planes with some mixed Conan/Zahua vibes. :)

I'd like a more "grounded" setting that has nothing to do with gods but instead focuses on a local problem. I'm done with epicness and would like to see a more envolved "development" of my character and other protagonists. I'm also not against more railroading and less open world.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think the license will take a little rest after this year of DLC ...

On the 3rd I will not plan it for several years.

By cons it will be hard not to talk about "Eternity" in Pillars.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

I always liked the idea of visiting Old Vailia, though with Beast of Winter, there's hints that it might take place in the White that Wends (on top of the general affinity for winters; maybe Obsidian patrolled the Mojave too much). After all, the White March was setting up Deadfire in advance.

• Like 1

I like the Living Lands and White Wends best but anywhere is fine with me as long as it's somewhere new. I like Redcearas for the cute American accents, though maybe they are not authentic.

• Like 2

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I'd really be happy to see either the Ixamitl Plains (I really think that South America can work well for that setting, with the Inca being replaced by Engwithans or something similar) or the Living Lands (sounds so weird and vivid). Although I'm really curious about the Engwithan empire's time, to be honest. Maybe it won't be a linear sequel?

Either way, I'm sure we'll see another game in the series. Maybe not right away, but I don't see a reason for them to abandon it, as it seems they're having a good time with the series themselves.

Edited by RoiCohen

Flaune Elette and her animancy team were working on a teleportation technology using adra pillars so maybe the next game could have this technology established and we would travel across the world, hah.

In most endings storms of Ondra's Mortar are turned off. This is a major change for Rauatai. Even if they're kicked out from Deadfire, they now have their whole mainland more stable. This also means that route to Yezuha is open. Eothas also brought change to the world and I think the whole world would get more dynamic from there. Maybe next game would be about new lands. I don't know.

• Like 1