Of course your going to need Chris Avellone back on board to do the writing for characters like Durance. (contract for hire)

Yeah uh, that bridge is burnt (Pun?). It's probably for the best anyways.

Oh and keep in mind a lot of companions ended up being a collaborative effort, so missing the original credited writer doesn't exactly mean as much as it seems.

• Like 2

The only epic things about the saint's war is that St. Waidwen led the invasion and battles personally, and was blown up with magran's help at the end. Aside from that, it was just a brutal war with very brutal consequences. I don't see how you'd build an entire game centered around it unless they let us play the whole war as a kind of grand strategy game, which isn't what Obs does. Or if we continue following Durance into the Purges afterwards, which would involve far more torture than most people'd be comfortable with.

As for "Durance and his party", there were no known party adventures or travelling around. Just Durance and his fellow priests building a bomb with Magran's help, and setting it off at Halgot using their souls as fuel. Not really full-length game material. We already know what happens, who the main actors were and how the war generally developed. There's little left to uncover with a game.

But muh Rauatai!

The only epic things about the saint's war is that St. Waidwen led the invasion and battles personally, and was blown up with magran's help at the end. Aside from that, it was just a brutal war with very brutal consequences. I don't see how you'd build an entire game centered around it unless they let us play the whole war as a kind of grand strategy game, which isn't what Obs does. Or if we continue following Durance into the Purges afterwards, which would involve far more torture than most people'd be comfortable with.

Umm... I think that if you can build an entire game around chasing a statue, then it would be comparatively easy to build an entire game around a brutal religious war where one of the leaders is possessed by a god with unknown motivations. St. Waidwen's story would have worked well for Pillars 1.

That being said, I wouldn't bother going back and creating a prequel now. As someone said, it's pretty boring if you already know the outcome.

Just make a Red-Dead Redemption style open-world adventure where Sagani is shipwrecked, and has to hunt, fish,  kill bandits, gamble and deal with anti-dwarf prejudice from the powers that be. All in hopes in getting back to her family in Nasitaaq. 

Truly, the most reasonable extrapolation of the POE branding, right there. 

• Like 2

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

If they don't have enough resource to make a BGII size game,please don't make POEIII.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

When I read the thread title I was thinking "So, how would that work? You fight the boss in the tutorial section? Get KO'd and play the rest of the game in a series of disjointed memory-dreams? How would the consequences be for the players actions?" But sadly, this wasn't anywhere nearly as interesting an idea as I was hoping for.

I'd play a Pillars Prequel, but I'd much rather it be set in Engwith, or pre-Engwith even but at that point it's more the bestiary and I guess rudimentary landmasses than it is anything else in the setting (I mean, the gods may have shaped some of the landscape, but it seems like mostly they don't have the power to e.g. cause magma to well up in ancient places with machinery they never want found, or else why didn't they just do that?) So I guess that's kind of like saying I'll probably buy any RPG like this that Obsidian makes. 

A history changing time travel story might be reasonable, but otherwise prequels all have the same problem - we know how it worked out, so it removes even the faintest illusion of player agency.

• Like 3

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

It's a good Idea and my Advice is Sound.

Create a Pillars of Eternity III that is before Pillars of Eternity taking place during the creation of the God Hammer and the destruction of the a Made up God made Flesh.

It would be a darker game set it dark times. 

Keep going forward doesn't make sense at all.  

Personally I think they could easily do a prequel, there is literally thousands of years of "stuff" that happened between Engwithan collapse, and the Saint's War.  Yes we know how it turned out sort of, but there are plenty of story options in between.  Could be a game about the fall of Old Vailia, the rise of Aedyr, defeating a skaenite rebellion we just don't know happened cause it wasn't relevant to Eternity 1-2.  If they do a prequel, it certainly should not be about the Saint's War.

Anyway just for my own silliness, this is what I think would be possible for all existing companions sidekicks in a sequel -

TLDR Version: Aloth, Hiravias (eh sorta), Zahua (maybe), Maneha, Serafen, Fessina, Mirke, Rekke, and Ydwin could all be easy to bring back as companions in a sequel.  I would really like to see Rekke and Ydwin as full companions actually.  If you want my detailed verbal diarrhea version of why I think this keep reading.

• Aloth: Yeah he could show up again, mostly because he is a busy body with nothing really tying him down in any way.  His story also gives him an excuse to travel all over regardless of how it pans out.
  • Eder: Nope.  I feel like after Deadfire it really makes no sense for him to appear again.  He has the events of Deadfire to cope with, he might be a mayor somewhere, yada yada yada.  He doesn't have a lot of good reasons to continue as an adventurer.
  • Kana Rua: Unlikely, too busy dealing with his Ruatai nonsense now, no reason for him to run off at a glance.  I could see it happening depending on the plot of a sequel and Ruatai's involvement in said plot.
  • Durance: No.  Not only because of the Avellone stuff (ps, good riddance), but because he is basically insane, probably living in a ditch, and would be likely to try to kill you as an "agent of the gods".
  • Sagani: Big fat nope, she is back in Nasitaaq by now living the good life with the fam/village... or an outcast just doing what she can to get by depending.  Either way, no reason to be out adventuring anymore.
  • Pallegina: Highly unlikely, not only because of Sawyer wanting to refocus, but because of the multitude of ways Deadfire could have ended.  Additionally with her dedication to Valia, unless they have a strong reason for being highly involved in the next plot there would be no reason for her to be there anyway.  She has always been self motivated and an ally of convenience, your goals just happened to align.
  • Hiravias: Please Gaun no.  Seriously there is no real justification, his reasons for joining in the first place were always very uh... weak.  He is just a self interested guy doing his own thing, very little reason to team up with anyone.  I could see it happening if Obsidian wanted, it just wouldn't be that interesting in my opinion.
  • Grieving Mother: AKA Grieving lack of Personality, no, she has zero motivation to be adventuring regardless of how things turned out.  I can't imagine any story blurb that could cause her to show up again.
  • Devil of Caroc: As much as I would like to say it is possible, no, her endings in Eternity pretty much remove any chance of her ever showing up again even if she is alive.
  • Zahua: Probably not, he is too busy doing whatever it is he decided to do.  Now depending on location of the next game it is possible he could be there, and if he does try to "pass on" his skills you might get to recruit say a student of his.  I could see that working.
  • Maneha: Heck she was actually in Deadfire, I think she didn't offer to join simply because she was too busy having fun.  I could see her as a party member again, but only if the story had a reason for her getting interested in events.  Nothing really tying her down, and unlike some others, she is not a lone wolf type.
  • Maia Rua: Same as her brother, just not likely unless Ruatai is highly involved in the next game.
  • Serafen: He could make another appearance.  He isn't really tied down, nothing says a Principi pirate can't travel outside Deadfire, and it wouldn't be that hard writing him into just about anything.  Biggest thing is he's kind of a free wheeling do gooder, despite being a pirate, and like Maneha isn't a lone wolf and values teammates.
  • Tekehu: No way.  He is too tied down with responsibility in Deadfire regardless of how the game ends.  He is never really going to leave the Huana.
  • Xoti: Also really unlikely.  She is too busy with her duty, and doesn't have any strong reason to leave the Dawnstars regardless of how stuff plays out.
  • Fassina: Yeah I could see it, she doesn't like being tied down, and could easily be written into any number of locations for all sorts of reasons.  Her boss is a major busy body and even though she "left his employ" I could easily see the council calling on her for odd jobs.
  • Konstanten: No reason to bring him back, sorry Dwarf lovers.  No one has ever had less of a reason for adventuring in the first place, and there is just nothing happening with his character to justify it.
  • Mirke: Hilariously enough, just like Serafen, nothing stops her from going wherever or doing whatever.  So yeah, you could easily write her into just about any situation, just throw some money and booze at her and she will be motivated for any insanity.  Not sure they will want to write her back in, but it could easily be done.
  • Rekke: He could definitely return in a later games, he has no reason to return to his homeland, no loyalties keeping him in place, and he is definitely the adventuring type.
  • Vatnir: Well gotta play the DLC to have a better idea, but something tells me it will be unlikely for him to show up in future games.  At a glance he seems very situational.
  • Ydwin: Absolutely could return, she has tons of reasons to move around, do different research, and as a character her back story is very tied in with many overall plot/society issues of Eternity 1 and 2.  It was honestly a mistake in my opinion not making her a full companion to begin with.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

I really don't see the appeal of a prequel based on the Saint's War. Trying to go "dark" for the sake of it can easily turn into something where you just don't care about anything or anyone, and the idea of engaging in torture and mass murder just doesn't interest me. I prefer a dark world where I try to make things better, even if I have to make difficult decisions that don't always give me the resolution I want instead of just seeing suffering and pain everywhere I turn. With how disappointed people are with Deadfire based off of how it ended (which I think could have been done better but overall enjoyed) then having a game where we have no control over how the main conflict ends would probably go even worse. Sure it could end up focusing on some other plot during the same time that history never talks about, but then that raises the question of why even bother with a prequel. The next game should offer players the chance to really change the final ending of the game in some really meaningful way - and with the ending of Deadfire, there are some potentially really interesting things they can do with the next plot. The Saint's War already happened and has a clear ending and main characters - we could just as easily read a book about what happened instead of playing an RPG where we have relatively little impact on what would supposedly be the main draw and focus of the story. I'm still making my way through the Beast of Winter DLC, but I get the feeling that we might get some insight into the Saint's War in either this one or one of the future DLCs, so this idea might have already been dealt with by Obsidian.

Also, I just don't see the appeal of a story that focuses on Durance - or even having him return. Aloth and Eder sometimes felt kind of forced in during Deadfire - and while ultimately I think that their presence was a good thing, bringing back Durance in some way risks the same thing but even worse. What made Durance so interesting the first time around was partly how cruel and blunt he could be, but also his confidence. Most RPG companions have their quests feature a moment where they don't know how to feel about something, and they need the player character to tell them what value to follow or what feelings to have. The main other situation is having the player come along and help them deal with another person in their life. Durance had none of that - his beliefs and convictions never wavered, and he always acted like he was the one giving advice instead. Having his personal quest end not with you giving him the answer to a question or issue he had, but showing him a truth he had missed that let him make his own conclusions was just so different from any other companion. I don't see how we can bring back a companion with such assurance and confidence without undermining his original portrayal in some way. Plus, as great of a character as Durance is, he's also too cruel for me to find him likable, and so I'm really not interested in spending more time with him. Durance works best as a one time companion in the first Pillars game, and trying to bring him back in either a prequel or a sequel just feels like it will ruin what made him great in the first place.

• Like 1

Anyway just for my own silliness, this is what I think would be possible for all existing companions sidekicks in a sequel -

TLDR Version: Aloth, Hiravias (eh sorta), Zahua (maybe), Maneha, Serafen, Fessina, Mirke, Rekke, and Ydwin could all be easy to bring back as companions in a sequel.  I would really like to see Rekke and Ydwin as full companions actually.  If you want my detailed verbal diarrhea version of why I think this keep reading.

• Aloth: Yeah he could show up again, mostly because he is a busy body with nothing really tying him down in any way.  His story also gives him an excuse to travel all over regardless of how it pans out.
  • Eder: Nope.  I feel like after Deadfire it really makes no sense for him to appear again.  He has the events of Deadfire to cope with, he might be a mayor somewhere, yada yada yada.  He doesn't have a lot of good reasons to continue as an adventurer.
  • Kana Rua: Unlikely, too busy dealing with his Ruatai nonsense now, no reason for him to run off at a glance.  I could see it happening depending on the plot of a sequel and Ruatai's involvement in said plot.
  • Durance: No.  Not only because of the Avellone stuff (ps, good riddance), but because he is basically insane, probably living in a ditch, and would be likely to try to kill you as an "agent of the gods".
  • Sagani: Big fat nope, she is back in Nasitaaq by now living the good life with the fam/village... or an outcast just doing what she can to get by depending.  Either way, no reason to be out adventuring anymore.
  • Pallegina: Highly unlikely, not only because of Sawyer wanting to refocus, but because of the multitude of ways Deadfire could have ended.  Additionally with her dedication to Valia, unless they have a strong reason for being highly involved in the next plot there would be no reason for her to be there anyway.  She has always been self motivated and an ally of convenience, your goals just happened to align.
  • Hiravias: Please Gaun no.  Seriously there is no real justification, his reasons for joining in the first place were always very uh... weak.  He is just a self interested guy doing his own thing, very little reason to team up with anyone.  I could see it happening if Obsidian wanted, it just wouldn't be that interesting in my opinion.
  • Grieving Mother: AKA Grieving lack of Personality, no, she has zero motivation to be adventuring regardless of how things turned out.  I can't imagine any story blurb that could cause her to show up again.
  • Devil of Caroc: As much as I would like to say it is possible, no, her endings in Eternity pretty much remove any chance of her ever showing up again even if she is alive.
  • Zahua: Probably not, he is too busy doing whatever it is he decided to do.  Now depending on location of the next game it is possible he could be there, and if he does try to "pass on" his skills you might get to recruit say a student of his.  I could see that working.
  • Maneha: Heck she was actually in Deadfire, I think she didn't offer to join simply because she was too busy having fun.  I could see her as a party member again, but only if the story had a reason for her getting interested in events.  Nothing really tying her down, and unlike some others, she is not a lone wolf type.
  • Maia Rua: Same as her brother, just not likely unless Ruatai is highly involved in the next game.
  • Serafen: He could make another appearance.  He isn't really tied down, nothing says a Principi pirate can't travel outside Deadfire, and it wouldn't be that hard writing him into just about anything.  Biggest thing is he's kind of a free wheeling do gooder, despite being a pirate, and like Maneha isn't a lone wolf and values teammates.
  • Tekehu: No way.  He is too tied down with responsibility in Deadfire regardless of how the game ends.  He is never really going to leave the Huana.
  • Xoti: Also really unlikely.  She is too busy with her duty, and doesn't have any strong reason to leave the Dawnstars regardless of how stuff plays out.
  • Fassina: Yeah I could see it, she doesn't like being tied down, and could easily be written into any number of locations for all sorts of reasons.  Her boss is a major busy body and even though she "left his employ" I could easily see the council calling on her for odd jobs.
  • Konstanten: No reason to bring him back, sorry Dwarf lovers.  No one has ever had less of a reason for adventuring in the first place, and there is just nothing happening with his character to justify it.
  • Mirke: Hilariously enough, just like Serafen, nothing stops her from going wherever or doing whatever.  So yeah, you could easily write her into just about any situation, just throw some money and booze at her and she will be motivated for any insanity.  Not sure they will want to write her back in, but it could easily be done.
  • Rekke: He could definitely return in a later games, he has no reason to return to his homeland, no loyalties keeping him in place, and he is definitely the adventuring type.
  • Vatnir: Well gotta play the DLC to have a better idea, but something tells me it will be unlikely for him to show up in future games.  At a glance he seems very situational.
  • Ydwin: Absolutely could return, she has tons of reasons to move around, do different research, and as a character her back story is very tied in with many overall plot/society issues of Eternity 1 and 2.  It was honestly a mistake in my opinion not making her a full companion to begin with.

For my own silliness, I'll go ahead and respond to these thoughts with some of my own...

• Aloth: I would agree, and if I'm reading the overall narrative of the "Watcher's trilogy" correctly given both previous games (i.e. the third game would be centering around rebuilding a new structure of power and relationship between kith and gods now that the Wheel has been broken and so on - which depending on your character's position in the matter could either reaffirm kith's independence or further affirm the gods' authority), then Aloth coming back to finally make a major dent into dismantling/reforming the Leaden Key in the third game would also make a lot of sense. I could definitely see this happening.

• Eder: So this is a weird case for me. I don't think he has events to deal with elsewhere to be honest - if I recall correctly he says he never felt comfortable leading, whether as a mayor or as a member of the Night Market. On top of that, he's also become something of the 'face' of the Pillars saga and a clear fan favorite, so from a pure business perspective it would make sense to include him once more, as fans would theoretically be more inclined to see more of him in the future and so on. But at the same time I felt that his presence in Deadfire was already pretty lacklustre and that despite the personal investment he would have in chasing Eothas down, this much felt ultimately not explored to its fullest in my opinion. So my personal preference would say 'no', but I would probably guess he'd make it all the same - if we centre the next sequel around the Watcher anyhow.

• Kana Rua: Agreed. Can see this happening if the next game is set on Rauatai, less so if anywhere else.

• Durance: Opinions on Avellone aside (which I definitely disagree with and think Deadfire suffered for, if not necessarily his absence, then the absence of someone with his general sensibility in the narrative team), I would agree that this is a 'no'. Didn't Eld Engrim suggest Durance passed away at the beginning of the game anyhow, what with "we'll never see the likes of him twice in a lifetime if Magran wills it" or the likes? But I also disagree with the general read on this character, considering how his disillusionment and resentment of the gods themselves becomes pretty absolute for the only ending where he lives too. I can see him being someone who would want to burn them all down, not so much an "agent of the gods" (and I wouldn't mind the latter as a companion in a sequel either, that sounds like they could be an interesting companion; worth pointing out that I absolutely abscribe to the idea that "likable" isn't always "interesting", and the latter trumps the former every time).

• Sagani: Yup, agreed. If we ever visit Naasitaq we might have an encounter with her as an NPC, but not as an actual companion.

• Pallegina: Agreed once more, and I would also add that at least in my ending slides it definitely felt like her arc was thoroughly closed. In my case I sided with the VTC and thus she was pardoned by the ducs and eventually even managed to change the laws of the Five Suns schools so that they would accept women as paladins - that seems as definite a conclusion as Kana's or Sagani's. If she is thoroughly banished I just don't see why she'd ever want to spend time adventuring with the Watcher again - in Deadfire at least she seemed so consumed by her zeal that I don't think any comraderie for the protagonist would be able to overcome such a mark of shame in her eyes (also, I would point out that I very much disliked how prevalent this aspect became in Deadfire for her, considering how in the first Pillars she seemed absolutely willing to see the wrongs and mistakes of the ducs or the Republics; in the first game she came across as a character divided by her conscience and her duty, whereas in the latter many of the actions by the VTC are arguably more damning and yet she seems to either support or not question them with almost blind rigorousness). Again, I wouldn't mind seeing her as an NPC depending on where the next game takes us, but I think she's done as a companion.

• Hiravias: This is a strange case for me. I *love* Hiravias and would absolutely love seeing him return in a sequel, seeing as he's a wandering druid and so on and thus, same as Aloth, may easily be fit into whatever setting the devs choose to follow with next. On top of that, I also feel like Wael and the Hand Occult is a main antagonist waiting to happen, and likewise I could see how they could fit into my predicted third arc and so on. If the third game indeed centres strongly around Wael, I can absolutely see a reason for him to return, being how he was the 'voice of Wael' throughout the first game and how much he's invested in the teachings of Wael and so on. But then again it's also true that Hiravias can end the first game as either a follower of Wael or a follower of Galawain - though much like Pallegina in Deadfire I can definitely see ways to twist things around so that he could still have unfinished business with Wael whether as a follower or not.

• Grieving Mother: Pretty much. She's also one of the characters I just don't see why she would return even as an NPC. Her business in the saga has concluded.

• Devil of Caroc: Ditto as GM.

• Zahua: Agreed here as well.

• Maneha: For the sake of personal bias I would say "no", but I could see how she could become a companion in a Rauatai-set sequel, or an NPC at least. Didn't see her in Deadfire as I opted against having her forget those worries, but if she's become a wanderer then there's no reason for her to *not* make an appearance in Rauatai - whereas the other ending would take her there anyhow. But even so I feel like her arc's been closed, and don't really see anything of interest to explore with her anyhow.

• Maia Rua: Pretty much. I would add that it would be *very* interesting to see both Kana and Maia in a same game, in a same party, just to see how they interact with one another and so on. But I cannot see this occuring outside a Rauatai setting.

• Serafen: I agree that nothing prevents him from making it into a new game, but as of now I just don't see why we would bring him into a new game - I don't feel anything's left to really explore with him, I feel his arc is through. So I would say it's definitely possible, but unlikely.

• Tekehu: Agreed, but I could also see business taking him on a brief stint outside the Deadfire. It seems that it's part of his arc to get to know the world and put both his culture and art into perspective and thus I could see how he could want to go on an adventure. In some ways he reminds me of Kana, and much like Kana wouldn't really be an "adventurer" and how his business with Rauataian culture is what took him to the Dyrwood initially, I could see a similar arc for Tekehu himself. But I would say it's unlikely, and maybe even a little redundant.

• Xoti: Yeah, agreed. Again, like Serafen I feel her arc is done, regardless of whether she's wandering or not.

• Fassina: Could agree, though if so I would like to see what justifies her being in a new game, as in what could make her into an interesting character worth exploring and so on - or maybe she's just another fairly standard/empty sidekick once more. Eh.

• Konstanten: Yup, his presence is already a question mark in Deadfire, no idea why he'd be brought up again.

• Mirke: Much like Serafen, I can see how her being in a sequel could be *possible*, I just don't see why we would bring her up again. She's fun and works brilliantly as part of the Deadlight quest - and later on as a bit of a jokey sidekick and so on - but don't see any hook or point of interest that would keep her for a sequel.

• Rekke: See Serafen/Mirke. Though again, if the setting for some odd reason happens to be Yezuha he could have more to do and a greater reason to being resurrected as a companion.

• Vatnir: Agreed, can't add more until I play it which will likely not be til December.

• Ydwin: Yup, agreed. And going back to Aloth's point, I could see her also playng a crucial part into a plan to either reconstruct the Wheel or find an alternative to it. If anything I would say that if my above prediction is correct, it places her as one of the most likely companions to make a return and actually get a full companion treatment as well.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Folks you know you can still have Pallegina there even without Josh writing her right? He can always consult.

It's not the sameee. :(

It isn't just not the same, there are endings where Pallegina would either uh.... have very little reason to want to be your friend moving forward.... or would not be available.... .... .....

• Like 2

Personally I think they could easily do a prequel, there is literally thousands of years of "stuff" that happened between Engwithan collapse, and the Saint's War.  Yes we know how it turned out sort of, but there are plenty of story options in between.  Could be a game about the fall of Old Vailia, the rise of Aedyr, defeating a skaenite rebellion we just don't know happened cause it wasn't relevant to Eternity 1-2.  If they do a prequel, it certainly should not be about the Saint's War.

I actually think Eder is the only one of those that is a 100% lock on reappearing.

Doesn't his ending basically say he chooses to stick with the watcher regardless of the outcome?

I'd only be interested in a prequel that takes place before and during the creation of the Gods. Unfortunately it would need to be epic and would fall short of expectations.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!