Is a Bleak Walker Pirate Workable?

Hello, 

So, I'm working on a Holy Slayer for a Principi character I'm planning on running - I like the idea of a more disciplined sort of pirate, compared to some of the Principi rabble. I'm considering Bleak Walker, with a focus on Aggressive, Cruel, and Clever as my dispositions of choice, and a Lawful Evil leaning, but I'm worried that the subclass might not fit in with the Principi philosophy that well. Darcozzi is, on the whole, a more thematically appropriate choice, but I don't really like their Lay on Hands buff as much. 

Hello, 

So, I'm working on a Holy Slayer for a Principi character I'm planning on running - I like the idea of a more disciplined sort of pirate, compared to some of the Principi rabble. I'm considering Bleak Walker, with a focus on Aggressive, Cruel, and Clever as my dispositions of choice, and a Lawful Evil leaning, but I'm worried that the subclass might not fit in with the Principi philosophy that well. Darcozzi is, on the whole, a more thematically appropriate choice, but I don't really like their Lay on Hands buff as much. 

I don't see why you couldn't do that from a RP perspective.

Your character is the Dread Pirate Roberts of the Deadfire and probably has ambitions to take over the Principi.

If their philosophy isn't a good match with your character's, well then their philosophy will just have change, possibly by force, won't it?

You'd fit in with Furrante's branch of the principi more than Aeldys'.

Aw dang. I actually REALLY wanted the saber she gives you for siding with her.

Well as a paladin tha best weapons. For you would be the ones that boost fire damage for FoD. Which leaves Modwyr (day), Sungrazer, Sun and Moon (day), and finally Magran's Favor; a sword, two flails, and an axe.

I'm not sure I understand why. The Bleak Walkers are mercenaries and siege experts - they believe in ruthlessness and preemptive use of force as a way of bringing conflicts to an end quickly and preventing drawn-out fights. Does some part of that doctrine fit better with one or the other of the Principi factions?

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm not sure I understand why. The Bleak Walkers are mercenaries and siege experts - they believe in ruthlessness and preemptive use of force as a way of bringing conflicts to an end quickly and preventing drawn-out fights. Does some part of that doctrine fit better with one or the other of the Principi factions?

Furrante's goal is to finally establish a homeland on Ukaizo, in order to do that it would make sense to employ a Bleak Walker. Aeldys' goal is piracy for piracies sake, she doesn't really have a goal. What would a Bleak Walker bring to that equation? Aeldys has fun raiding, a Bleak Walker would be brought in to either force the other side to surrender or devastate them. A Bleak Walker brings nothing to the ttable that scenario.

The other reason working with Furrante makes sense is that he's the one that initiates contact with the PC. As such, he offers the first contract and if accepted the contract would be binding for the Bleak Walker. As evidenced by the quest in WM2, the only way to stop a contract would be the death of the Bleak Walker, which is unlikely to happen.

So if a Bleak Walker were working with the Principi, all of Fort Deadlight would be massacred because of Benweth, all of the Wahaki would be massacared, and Aeldys and her crews would become the second massacre of Fort Deadlight.

Furrante's goal is to finally establish a homeland on Ukaizo, in order to do that it would make sense to employ a Bleak Walker. Aeldys' goal is piracy for piracies sake, she doesn't really have a goal. What would a Bleak Walker bring to that equation? Aeldys has fun raiding, a Bleak Walker would be brought in to either force the other side to surrender or devastate them. A Bleak Walker brings nothing to the ttable that scenario.

The other reason working with Furrante makes sense is that he's the one that initiates contact with the PC. As such, he offers the first contract and if accepted the contract would be binding for the Bleak Walker. As evidenced by the quest in WM2, the only way to stop a contract would be the death of the Bleak Walker, which is unlikely to happen.

So if a Bleak Walker were working with the Principi, all of Fort Deadlight would be massacred because of Benweth, all of the Wahaki would be massacared, and Aeldys and her crews would become the second massacre of Fort Deadlight.

I suppose I was hoping to have a Bleak Walker character as a well-established pirate/raider already (See the Deadfire-Raider background) and then, as another poster said, operate as sort of the "Dread Pirate Roberts" of the Deadfire, raiding ships and slaughtering crews to the last man. A bit against the Principi traditions, and against Bleak Walker traditions, but the Principi you encounter in-game certainly aren't opposed to blowing you to pieces and looting what remains. 

After a long time away (Because, seriously, a Bleak Walker opting to take up Raedric's offer for land doesn't make a lot of sense either), the character comes back home to be immediately accosted by the "Fourth ranking pirate in the Principi" and determines that the whole organization is in need of a little tidying up. 

• Like 1