I keep seeing these interactive light beams but I can't do anything except look at them. How do I get to use them?

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

You find that ability in The Bridge Ablaze. The first time I went into The Bridge Ablaze I thought I needed to learn the ability to use them elsewhere, because the first gate in the bridge isn't super obviously passable and there is a beam of light right at the entrance, but I went back and realized that I could continue onward and wasn't being halted by the bridge tower, so I didn't have the need to go learn a new ability elsewhere as I had originally thought after fighting the enemies and thinking I hit a dead end. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you need to go out The Bridge Ablaze. After you talk to Waidwen, they'll either give it to you or tell you where to go.

The main hub has a couple little side things that you can do when you have some or all of the abilities from the three big levels.

Thanks! Next time I will do the bridge first so I don't have to backtrack.

I did the bridge first, then I learned on Discord there's something you can do there if you do the queries first...

Impersonate Durance to the priestess or somesuch

• Like 3

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!