Help with a Darcozzi (Or Bleak Walker)/Trickster Build - Heavy WIP

Hey guys, 

So... I accidentally closed out of the tab where I was working on this build. Bit of a bummer there, I lost all of my progress on it. The long and short of it is I'm working on a Holy Slayer build for my Principi character, because I want to play a tank that can still pressure enemies and put out a fair bit of damage. I've considered Darcozzi as my Paladin Order purely for the flavor of it, but I'm open for considering Bleak Walker as well - I just don't know if it'll fit that well thematically, and I kind of don't like being limited to aggressive/cruel ALL the time. I'm heavily inspired by Ascaloth and 1TTFFSSE's "Cunning Duelist" and "Faceless Dancer" builds respectively in creating this, so credit goes to them. 

This is a heavy WIP, and you all more or less have gratis to tear it down and help build it up into something wonderful. Got a better subclass suggestion? Got a better stat spread? I'm all for it. 

The basics:

Blessings: Bonus Attributes, Skills, 5000 starting gold, unique item vendor. 

Class: Darcozzi/Trickster

Race: Oceanfolk Human (Largely an aesthetic choice. I hopefully won't be Bloodied enough to really use the ability that much, but it's nice to have)

Culture/Background: Deadfire Aristocrat (Purely for RP purposes). 

Skills: Athletics/Mechanics and Insight/Intimidate - Serafen can handle Stealth

Attributes: Oooh boy, here we go...

Might: 10 (4 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 

Con: 10 (7 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 14 (10 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

Perception: 20 (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Intellect: 20 (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Resolve: 20 (18 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Ooof, that's a low Might. But in return, I have an extra FORTY WILL. FORTY. WILL. Reflex isn't that bad either, but Fortitude is going to suffer a bit. 

This character is not intended for solo play, so I'll have Eder around for those pure Might checks that aren't Watcher-only. Also, I hope Con checks don't show up very often. 

At Level 20 with GotM and Effigy's (Durance) as well as Tough, HP is 338. 

Abilities: 

Level 1: Flames of Devotion/Crippling Strike

Level 2: Deep Faith

Level 3: Escape

Level 4: Blinding Strike/Zealous Aura

Level 5: Dirty Fighting

Level 6: Inspired Triumph

Level 7: Confounding Blind OR Gouging Strike/Eternal Devotion

Level 8: Riposte

Level 9: Weapon and Shield Style

Level 10: Persistent Distraction/Scion of Flame

Level 11: Greater Lay on Hands

Level 12: Glorious Beacon

Level 13: Deep Wounds/Inspiring Beacon

Level 14: Shadow Step

Level 15: Tough

Level 16: Virtuous Triumph/Two-Weapon Style

Level 17: Bear's Fortitude

Level 18: Snake's Reflexes

Level 19: Deathblows/Stoic Steel

Level 20: Bull's Will

I'm prioritizing getting attributes and abilities down before moving on to work on gear. The abilities are definitely subject to change - I'm not sure if any of the Paladin stuff has been nerfed, or if there's Rogue stuff I ought to be taking (Though I'm mostly using my Guile for Trickster abilities, which are automatically granted at each PL). 

Curious to hear your thoughts and feedback. 

I really don't like the Darcozzi ability, if its for roleplay then ignore this.

I'd look at Bleakwalker for better FoD, Kind Wayfarer for the FoD that AoE heals or Goldpact for the great armor buff.

I also really like dual wielding for both Paladins and Rogues to take advantage of their many full attacks. If need be you can have a dagger and hatchet set up with both modals active and still out dps a shield user. The attack speed bonus from dual wielding lets you wear heavy armor without becoming a statue or if you stick with light you turn into a cusinart.

Stat wise I'd bring Might back up to base ten at least.

Why the huge Intellect?

Why aspire to get +40 to will at the expense of fortitude? Paladins have access to immunities which are better than defense.

Is the huge Resolve for deflection to get riposte? At 30% chance on a miss I always found it bad, maybe for a solo where everyone can only attack you it makes sense.

I like more balanced stats like this:

Might 15 more damage, more healing 

Con 10

Dex 15 faster attacks

Per 18 - more crits, more hits and finding all the traps

Int 10 - 

Res 10

Ability wise I'd move two weapon style up to when its first available as its a massive damage boost. I also like to just take Crippling Strike for a one guile damage boost instead of having multiple rogue strikes. Take more Paladin stuff like the on kill effects and the defensive boosts if desired.

I really don't like the Darcozzi ability, if its for roleplay then ignore this.

I'd look at Bleakwalker for better FoD, Kind Wayfarer for the FoD that AoE heals or Goldpact for the great armor buff.

I also really like dual wielding for both Paladins and Rogues to take advantage of their many full attacks. If need be you can have a dagger and hatchet set up with both modals active and still out dps a shield user. The attack speed bonus from dual wielding lets you wear heavy armor without becoming a statue or if you stick with light you turn into a cusinart.

Stat wise I'd bring Might back up to base ten at least.

Why the huge Intellect?

Why aspire to get +40 to will at the expense of fortitude? Paladins have access to immunities which are better than defense.

Is the huge Resolve for deflection to get riposte? At 30% chance on a miss I always found it bad, maybe for a solo where everyone can only attack you it makes sense.

I like more balanced stats like this:

Might 15 more damage, more healing 

Con 10

Dex 15 faster attacks

Per 18 - more crits, more hits and finding all the traps

Int 10 - 

Res 10

Ability wise I'd move two weapon style up to when its first available as its a massive damage boost. I also like to just take Crippling Strike for a one guile damage boost instead of having multiple rogue strikes. Take more Paladin stuff like the on kill effects and the defensive boosts if desired.

... Ooof, 30% on a miss? Yeesh. That, yeah... That's pretty bad. Since I'll be playing in a party, I'll probably overlook that. 

Bleak Walker is good too, though I'm not sure if it's quite that pirate-y. It could work, it'd just be a different feel. 

High Intellect is there for duration of effects like Inspired Beacon and Rogue afflictions, but I suppose it's not that necessary. Yes, the huge Resolve is there for Deflection to get Ripostes, but if it's not a good idea to build for that in a party, I might go ahead and drop it down. 

-You don't need blinding strike if you take glorious+inpiring beacon. Instead take finishing blow+upgrade to have a nice single target finisher after spamming criplingstrike+fod.

-Two weapon style is enough in party based PotD since you will be using a dagger in offhand with deflection modal if needed. If you do go weapon + shield it requires a bunch of talents: two weapon style, monastic unarmed training and weapon and shield style so you can use the monk shield and a weapon. not worth it unless you solo play

-shadow step cost way too much to be worth it imo just take escape it is enough instead take something like evasive roll or something else at that level

I think tough is not worth it on any build, you are better of taking something like uncanny luck+improved critical later but definitely tough not worth it. And all the bulls will talents etc are overkill for party potd. If one of your defenses is behind to the others (usually fortitude) take that but only that.

-If you are very high int and that is the most important stat on Holy slayer consider Withering Strike+ upgrade if you switch to an aoe cleave weapon when facing a bunch of enemies. usually you can start a fight with sword+shield and buff your defenses via spells and once your deflection is sky high you can switch to an aoe weapon without taking hits. The new greateaxe is great as well as the old Wohai Poraga.

-You don't need blinding strike if you take glorious+inpiring beacon. Instead take finishing blow+upgrade to have a nice single target finisher after spamming criplingstrike+fod.

-Two weapon style is enough in party based PotD since you will be using a dagger in offhand with deflection modal if needed. If you do go weapon + shield it requires a bunch of talents: two weapon style, monastic unarmed training and weapon and shield style so you can use the monk shield and a weapon. not worth it unless you solo play

-shadow step cost way too much to be worth it imo just take escape it is enough instead take something like evasive roll or something else at that level

I think tough is not worth it on any build, you are better of taking something like uncanny luck+improved critical later but definitely tough not worth it. And all the bulls will talents etc are overkill for party potd. If one of your defenses is behind to the others (usually fortitude) take that but only that.

-If you are very high int and that is the most important stat on Holy slayer consider Withering Strike+ upgrade if you switch to an aoe cleave weapon when facing a bunch of enemies. usually you can start a fight with sword+shield and buff your defenses via spells and once your deflection is sky high you can switch to an aoe weapon without taking hits. The new greateaxe is great as well as the old Wohai Poraga.

Would you recommend dumping Resolve for Might, then? Or should I keep Resolve as is? 

Would you recommend dumping Resolve for Might, then? Or should I keep Resolve as is? 

12 Con

10 Dex

17 Perc

18 Int

17 Res

whatever is left into might.

with weapon scaling of +60% in legendary tier having +6% might bomus or +20% bonus is no bif deal, you are not a spellcaster. You can easily get +20% or +40% on top from The Red Hand alone. 

12 Con

10 Dex

17 Perc

18 Int

17 Res

whatever is left into might.

with weapon scaling of +60% in legendary tier having +6% might bomus or +20% bonus is no bif deal, you are not a spellcaster. You can easily get +20% or +40% on top from The Red Hand alone. 

Hmm... 

Is that with blessings or without? Because that's 24 stat points for the numbers you're suggesting, which isn't possible. And will I still be able to attack fast with two weapons/the style? I don't need to be a blender like my Marauder was, but I'd like to not be sluggish either. 

So something like...

Might: 10 (4 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 

Con: 12 (9 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 12 (8 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

MAN that's a low Might... There aren't that many flat Might checks in the game that are Watcher-only, are there? 

I suggest you to pick Sacred Immolation, fun ability :D Equip ring that reduce raw DM and cast Lay on Hands 
Inspired Beacon - Will help AOE spells
Smoke Veil + Backstab - will allow you to use fun hit/invise strategy with a lot of DM 
Monastic Unarmed Training - Very good weapon until game end :D

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

So something like...

Dexterity: 12 (8 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 

MAN that's a low Might... There aren't that many flat Might checks in the game that are Watcher-only, are there? 

yeah something like that. If you have a problem with only 10 might you can lower perc, intellect and resolve all to 18 in your final calculation - it is fine then you have 6 more points for a balanced stat distribution I usually run around with zealous arau+upgrade it to hit to crit conversion so you'll be getting a boost to perception from that anyways. 

1 perc = 1 acc

there is even gloves in early game that gives you +3 acc.

No point to raise acc higher than 16-18.

Resolve really won't help you much. Paladins already have class passives to boost deflection and other defences.

Int 20 not neccessary at all.

Sorry for my bad english.

So something like...

yeah something like that. If you have a problem with only 10 might you can lower perc, intellect and resolve all to 18 in your final calculation - it is fine then you have 6 more points for a balanced stat distribution I usually run around with zealous arau+upgrade it to hit to crit conversion so you'll be getting a boost to perception from that anyways. 

Just worried about trap spotting, but I guess I have Maia for that - and I can't imagine there are that many traps you can't spot with an 18 Perception. And I do like the more balanced approach... So, 

Might: 12 (6 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost) 
Dexterity: 16 (12 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
Perception: 18 (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
Intellect: 18 (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
Resolve: 18 (16 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing)

I'm not opposed to low Might, and it's not like I'm taking a penalty to Fortitude - at least at first. Put the remaining points into Dexterity. Trying to decide how much is enough, since the only  action speed buff is if I pick Streetfighter. A Streetfighter/Bleak Walker does sound pretty cool though, but Trickster offers so much extra Deflection. 

Edit: Streetfighter's Action Speed buff is far from guaranteed. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

So something like...

yeah something like that. If you have a problem with only 10 might you can lower perc, intellect and resolve all to 18 in your final calculation - it is fine then you have 6 more points for a balanced stat distribution I usually run around with zealous arau+upgrade it to hit to crit conversion so you'll be getting a boost to perception from that anyways.

Just worried about trap spotting, but I guess I have Maia for that - and I can't imagine there are that many traps you can't spot with an 18 Perception. And I do like the more balanced approach... So,

Might: 12 (6 Base +1 Human +1 GotM +1 Chameleon's Touch +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)

Dexterity: 16 (12 Base +1 Deadfire Archipelago +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch)

Perception: 18 (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Intellect: 18 (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Resolve: 18 (16 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing)

I'm not opposed to low Might, and it's not like I'm taking a penalty to Fortitude - at least at first. Put the remaining points into Dexterity. Trying to decide how much is enough, since the only action speed buff is if I pick Streetfighter. A Streetfighter/Bleak Walker does sound pretty cool though, but Trickster offers so much extra Deflection.

Edit: Streetfighter's Action Speed buff is far from guaranteed.

I would place Resolve at 14-15 and might at 13-14. It's not difficult to find +Resolve gear, and you really need around 18 to get most of the checks.

I know Resolve is commonly considered a dump stat by many, but since it represents your characters internal drive, fearlessness, and determination which would be important roleplay wise for a Paladin.

On Darcozzi Paladins, I never saw that they had many interactions with anyone based on their order. I know they didnt have any with Furrante or Aeldys for the early quests.

I would place Resolve at 14-15 and might at 13-14. It's not difficult to find +Resolve gear, and you really need around 18 to get most of the checks.

I know Resolve is commonly considered a dump stat by many, but since it represents your characters internal drive, fearlessness, and determination which would be important roleplay wise for a Paladin.

On Darcozzi Paladins, I never saw that they had many interactions with anyone based on their order. I know they didnt have any with Furrante or Aeldys for the early quests.

See, that's what I'm saying. For a Paladin, whose whole fighting style is BASED on their creed, dumping Resolve makes no sense. And when you say 14-15, do you mean before or after Blessings and racial bonuses? 

I'm definitely thinking Bleak Walker for my subclass. 

• Like 1

See, that's what I'm saying. For a Paladin, whose whole fighting style is BASED on their creed, dumping Resolve makes no sense. And when you say 14-15, do you mean before or after Blessings and racial bonuses?

I'm definitely thinking Bleak Walker for my subclass.

Either.

I think with my Templar I went 14, 11, 10, 15, 14, 12. With blessing and assorted items I'm at 20, 14, 13, 18, 19, 20.

So with Vitalis's spread, I get... 

20 Might (14 Base + 1 Human + 1 Chameleon's Touch + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)

13 Con (10 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing) - Effectively 25% extra Health

14 Dexterity (10 Base +1 Deadfire +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch)

17 Perception (15 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

16 Intellect (14 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

15 Resolve (12 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Not sure what items you used. I'm assuming Chameleon's Touch is either an Int or a Resolve boost instead of a Dexterity boost when used on a Templar, rather than a Holy Slayer. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

20 Might (14 Base + 1 Human + 1 Chameleon's Touch + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)

13 Con (10 Base +1 Effigy's Resentment (Durance) +2 Berath's Blessing) - Effectively 25% extra Health

Not sure what items you used. I'm assuming Chameleon's Touch is either an Int or a Resolve boost instead of a Dexterity boost when used on a Templar, rather than a Holy Slayer.

Horns of the Bleak Mother: +1 Per.

Wise Teeth Necklace: +1 Int, never bothered to change it although I should.

Chameleon's Touch: +1 Res from Priest

Gauntlets of Ogres Might: +2 Mig

Undying Burden: +2 Con

Eviee: +2 Res

Boots of Stone: +1 Res, +1 Dex, also didnt bother to change.

Edited by Vitalis

Is Eviee one of the new trinkets? Cool. Hopefully those aren't too hard to come by. I'll at least factor that into the build when I do a more complete version. 

Gauntletswise... Yeah, the Ogre's Might are probably my best bet. I can get them early, and I've no idea where the Deflection bracers are/the Cloak is better. 

Is Eviee one of the new trinkets? Cool. Hopefully those aren't too hard to come by. I'll at least factor that into the build when I do a more complete version.

Gauntletswise... Yeah, the Ogre's Might are probably my best bet. I can get them early, and I've no idea where the Deflection bracers are/the Cloak is better.

It's the dog in Muhai's Estate in Serpent's Crown.

1 perc = 1 acc

there is even gloves in early game that gives you +3 acc.

No point to raise acc higher than 16-18.

Resolve really won't help you much. Paladins already have class passives to boost deflection and other defences.

Int 20 not neccessary at all.

High Int makes sense for Toxic strike and deep wounds. Extra tics from a lay on hand isn't bad either.

Edited by Dorftek

It's the dog in Muhai's Estate in Serpent's Crown.

Oh, I see. I was going to use Abraham for heal on kill and Recovery Time reduction for armor.

Yeah Eviee is an easy pickup and one of the best pets through the entire game.

Where is the one with the armor penalty reduction?

Edit: beat me to it haha. Wow Abraham is legit I'm going to pick him up now!

Edited by Verde

Oh also, I ought to ask. 

Is it worth going Streetfighter for this build, do you think? Or is Trickster's bag of tricks (Pun intended) more worth it in the long-term? I'd probably aim to get flanked more as a Streetfighter. Plus, I'd worry a lot less about my Might not being as high - I can drop it as low as 7 and still have 15% extra bonus damage while maxing out Intellect and Resolve. 

Also, update to the stats factoring in the Gauntlets of Ogre Might. 

20 Might (12 Base + 1 Human +2 Gauntlets of Ogre Might + 1 Chameleon's Touch + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)
17 Resolve (14 Base +1 Human +2 Berath's Blessing)