Can someone please explain to me how a troubador works?

So as I understand it IIRC Troubador has two modes they can chant in, one that doesn't have elapse functions and goes by quickly, and another that has longer lingering effects after the chant ends. In essence you can have two chants giving the party their ability constantly instead of about 75% of the time (normal chant time is like 6 seconds and linger is 3 IIRC) or you can chant more quickly without any chant effects so you can get the last point to cast your summon or what have you.

If you're running a chanter as more of an auto attack set it and forget it kind of character who summons something at the start of combat and then you forget about them, then I guess Troubadour will let you benefit most from the chants themselves rather than the invocations.

Erm... yeah...

However, the Troubadour (you can edit your thread title with "Edit -> Use Full Editor - right of the "Save" Button - if you bother ;)) pays +1 phrases for all invocations. He also has double Linger time. Linger time is the phase of a chant where the effect of the chant is still active, but you can already sing another one. So you can overlap phrases without any gap - only as a Troubadour.

Then he has Brisk Recitation, a modal. Turn it on and chant phrases suddenly only last 3 seconds instead of 6. The Linger time is completely gone though. This means you build up phrase points twice as fast(!). This speeds up your invocation-spamming a lot obviously. But the drawback is that you can't overlap chants anymore.

So it's either:

6 sec singing phrase --> 6 seconds linger + singing another phrase --> and so on = stack/overlap phrases

or

3 sec phrase --> 3 sec phrase --> 3 sec phrase --> and so on = build up phrase points very quickly

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Erm... yeah...

However, the Troubadour (you can edit your thread title with "Edit -> Use Full Editor - right of the "Save" Button - if you bother ;)) pays +1 phrases for all invocations. He also has double Linger time. Linger time is the phase of a chant where the effect of the chant is still active, but you can already sing another one. So you can overlap phrases without any gap - only as a Troubadour.

Actually the Troubadour has only +50% Linger time ... not double. So with 20 INT (+50%) you can have two chants on all the time. To achieve the same with another chanter class you need 30 INT (+100%). This is harder to get, but still possible.

Intelligence bonus list:

+1 Godlike race

+2 Beraths Blessing

+1 Background

+1 Effigys Resentment

+1 Konstanten brothel bonus

+2 Alchemic Wit

+1 Couldron Brew

+2 Heaven's Cacophony

+2 Charm of Bones

+1 Kuaru's Prize

+1 Cloak of the Theocrat

+2 Food/Rest bonuses

= +17 (for 30 INT you only need +12)

Oh right, sorry. 150% Linger Time, not 200%. My bad. Must have added the bonus from 20 INT in my head since I always go for 20 with a Troubadour to achieve overlap with no gap.

For 30 INT all you need is being a Godlike from Old Vailia and having monk as second class with Duality of Mortal Presence. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Slightly off-topic, but I recently tried a Troubadour/Evoker.

And I found it to be a very good mix, due to Troubadour is a very passive class kit and while an Evoker is a very active class kit, and both classes are very strong on their own.

Troubadour either wait for phrases to build up, OR as you have seen in this topic they provide 2 buffs:

ex.

Either:

Resistance to Might/Dex afflictions, AND Resistance to Perception/Intellect afflictions.

-20% ranged weapon reload AND +15% fire damage to all weapons.

You also start every fight with enough resources to summon your highest level summon each fight, so while the mobs are gathering around the front-line melee, you can spend time casting a summon.

When the fight has moved to a more stationary phase, you can spend time chain-casting Fireballs or similar.

So the two kits do not directly compete for time to spend resources, and Evoker's increased power-level makes up for the lower level for being a Multi-class, so the spells are still very potent.

And the Chanter's lower armor Incantation is very welcome in every PotD party.

And tanks are in many people's opinion better Multi-classed with Fighter/Paladin and damage-dealers Multi-classed with Rogue/Monk/Barb for their respective buffs, so you are not lowering their potential by "forcing" the physical damage dealers to be a Chanter.