Hey guys,

So, I've been playing a Marauder for a bit (I just hit Level 6 today) and I'm in Neketaka working on getting some new gear and earning a bit of coin. However, I've been running into a bit of a problem when it comes to combat. When I get into the groove of things, with Carnage going off and enemies exploding into chunks, it's a lot of fun - but other times I'm left feeling like there really isn't a whole lot for me to do. I'm about to get the Devil of Caroc Breastplate, which will allow me one more Barbaric Blow per combat, so that might help some, but there's still this feeling that, compared to the bag of tricks my Wizard has, dual martial melee just lacks a lot. It's big numbers, and I like big numbers, but that's more or less all it is. 

I've considered running with Ascaloth's https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101088-class-build-the-cunning-duelist/ build, because it seems like

A: It's thematically appropriate to what I'm wanting to do - a pirate character

B: There's a lot more FOR me to do, and there's a lot more synergy between the weapon selection, skills, and such. 

The only issue with that would be that I'd have to do the Digsite again, though frankly I'd probably just skip it at this point. I've done it twice. I know I /can/, I just also don't want to waste the coin on ANOTHER Cipher merc to cheese the Drake encounter. 

I am going to miss hitting 50+ damage attacks with unenchanted gear though. 

Don't know what to tell you dude. A high end Marauder is basically just opener+barbaric smash with some escape/shadowing beyond/frenzy in between.

Personally it's pretty satisfying especially at full speed zipping around watching bodies explode.

So I will offer you to pick pure Ghost Heart, you can start with DW scepters/pistols -> Switch to Watershaper's Focus/Frostseeker -> Switch to 2x Blunderbuss or any melee weapon that synergy with WW strike 

You want to help your druid land AOE ? Use WW + Morning star Modal 
You want AOE dispel ? Then Blunderbuss your selection
You want to stop enemies from moving ? Use Thorny Roots
You want to put strongest DoT AOE ? New Mace + <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Eccea"href="https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Eccea" s_arcane_blaster"="">Eccea's Arcane Blaster + WW

Each new PL you will get more and more different tools and skills, check The Arcana Archer , The Deep Leap

P.S For Pirate role-play, I offer to install mod that give you bird companion + you can use Sabre + Pistol as main weapon set :D And Red Hand as second weapon

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Pure ranger? Why not Scout? Possible +160% Sneak & Deathblow attack damage seems totally worth it to me. Plus affliction/DoT bonanza (in aoe with rod modal or dual mortar).

Because OP ask about a lot to do. Of-course you can pick Scout, but then you will return to same point as Marauder but only with ranged weapon

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I was thinking that something like Ascaloth's Harbinger build would be kind of fun. I trade damage for being a melee CC, locking down enemies with lots of afflictions. And it can even do fairly respectable damage in its own right later on, just not as much as Marauder. Plus the synergy between Rogue (Good crit-fishing ability) + Skald (Phrases on crit and reduced phrase cost for offensive invocations) seems to be pretty solid. 

Hitting big numbers with Barbaric Smash and Frenzy and stuff IS a lot of fun. But not if that's all I do. Now, keep in mind, I'm low level on Marauder yet, I haven't unlocked Barbaric Smash or Confounding Blind, so I'm not sure if it comes into its own later and I just haven't hit that point. And as someone said, once you hit your -50% Recovery, nothing compares. 

Pirate based?

Rogue + Saber of choice + pukestabber +  Fair Favor + alcohol + drunken stance

You can take it to the next level by adding Nalpazca to it to get attack speeds as close to no recovery as possible.

Does Nalpazca generate wounds when drunk? That'd be amazing. 

When under drugs, so almost.

Pirate based?

Rogue + Saber of choice + pukestabber +  Fair Favor + alcohol + drunken stance

You can take it to the next level by adding Nalpazca to it to get attack speeds as close to no recovery as possible.

Does Nalpazca generate wounds when drunk? That'd be amazing. 

No, you have to be drunk and high for that build.

I think any "build" when complete kind of focuses on certain roles when all is said in done like if you are a rogue or marauder or variant thereof (monks fall in this category as well) you fall in line of being a fast melee unit that prizes themselves of being able to take out dangerous targets quickly and efficiently. You can do that with the support of alcohol and drugs with certain classes and items but it does not change the fact you are still there to do what you are most efficient at by design.

A healer would prize themselves at buffing the rest of the group and keeping people up etc.

The most versatile classes in deadfire are probably wizards and paladins as they can do a lot of different things because they have skills and abilities in their ability trees that offer the most variety. Paladins because they are the best melee "generals" on the field who lead the attack on the enemies and also support the team with defensives. Wizards do the same as well but through a different flair of skills. 

Even ciphers and chanters eventually fall in line with more conventional categorization because ciphers skills make them very good aoe cleavers an ccers and that is what they eventually become and chanters buffers and to a lesser extent ccers. 

As for solo it is a whole different game of balancing out survivability + damage output in one character formula. 

i feel bad for you dude, a thousand threads hyping about building a marauder and now you dont like it :\ 

spellcasters are always more fun, i played more than 150h with my pure wizard (potd/up) and now created a warlock, but it just cant surpass the pure raw power and versatiliyy of the wizard. i've decided to go back to PoE1 and finally play white march with a new character (wizard ofc) and then i'll go back to deadfire again for a solo play

martial classes with high melee dps arent really for me, although i'm really liking the idea of a ranger/druid or ranger/chanter...something to micro summons and deal damage from distance

anyways, goodluck!
Edited by eschu101

i feel bad for you dude, a thousand threads hyping about building a marauder and now you dont like it :\ 

spellcasters are always more fun, i played more than 150h with my pure wizard (potd/up) and now created a warlock, but it just cant surpass the pure raw power and versatiliyy of the wizard. i've decided to go back to PoE1 and finally play white march with a new character (wizard ofc) and then i'll go back to deadfire again for a solo play

martial classes with high melee dps arent really for me, although i'm really liking the idea of a ranger/druid or ranger/chanter...something to micro summons and deal damage from distance

anyways, goodluck!

Pure Wizard has no fun against high deflection enemies like Nemnok. You need a good amound of alchemy and potions, to get enough pen / acc to hit him. With a martial class on the other hand, it's not very hard.

Yeeeeah... 

I was so hyped, and then I started and it's just like. "Where did that go?" 

That said, as I mentioned I might just need to gain a few levels and unlock some more skills to really get into it. And I DO like doing DPS. I really do. Right now I'm just looking for something that embraces the theme well. 

SO

I think any "build" when complete kind of focuses on certain roles when all is said in done like if you are a rogue or marauder or variant thereof (monks fall in this category as well) you fall in line of being a fast melee unit that prizes themselves of being able to take out dangerous targets quickly and efficiently. You can do that with the support of alcohol and drugs with certain classes and items but it does not change the fact you are still there to do what you are most efficient at by design.

A healer would prize themselves at buffing the rest of the group and keeping people up etc.

The most versatile classes in deadfire are probably wizards and paladins as they can do a lot of different things because they have skills and abilities in their ability trees that offer the most variety. Paladins because they are the best melee "generals" on the field who lead the attack on the enemies and also support the team with defensives. Wizards do the same as well but through a different flair of skills. 

Even ciphers and chanters eventually fall in line with more conventional categorization because ciphers skills make them very good aoe cleavers an ccers and that is what they eventually become and chanters buffers and to a lesser extent ccers. 

As for solo it is a whole different game of balancing out survivability + damage output in one character formula. 

I think I need to admit to myself that I WANT to play melee DPS. I like that role. I suppose what I'm wanting isn't so much a class that has something in his toolbox for every situation, moreso one that fills the role with a certain degree of panache and style. A "roleplay build" that's fun to roleplay. 

With all of that said, I've more or less narrowed my choices down to three potential builds, all based off of different aspects of the thematic pirate. 

Marauder: The dirty, half-toothless brute pirate who just gets more and more excited as blood gets spilled. 

Shadowdancer (Nalpazca/Streetfighter): A constantly drunk, constantly high barroom brawler. The "Edward Kenway" approach to piracy. (Scordeo's/Pukestabber)

Holy Slayer (But GOD do I hate that name) (Darcozzi/Streetfighter): The "Man of wealth and taste," exemplifying Furrante's ideal of the exile noble type pirate. (Scordeo's/Grave Calling)

-- Only thing stopping me here is that Darcozzi's LoH buff doesn't seem that good. 

What's consistent throughout is that I want to play a Streetfighter, so at least we've determined that. It's just a matter of figuring out what I want to pair with it. At least I've narrowed it down somewhat. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

Yeeeeah... 

I was so hyped, and then I started and it's just like. "Where did that go?" 

That said, as I mentioned I might just need to gain a few levels and unlock some more skills to really get into it. And I DO like doing DPS. I really do. Right now I'm just looking for something that embraces the theme well. 

SO

I think I need to admit to myself that I WANT to play melee DPS. I like that role. I suppose what I'm wanting isn't so much a class that has something in his toolbox for every situation, moreso one that fills the role with a certain degree of panache and style. A "roleplay build" that's fun to roleplay. 

With all of that said, I've more or less narrowed my choices down to three potential builds, all based off of different aspects of the thematic pirate. 

Marauder: The dirty, half-toothless brute pirate who just gets more and more excited as blood gets spilled. 

Shadowdancer (Nalpazca/Streetfighter): A constantly drunk, constantly high barroom brawler. The "Edward Kenway" approach to piracy. (Scordeo's/Pukestabber)

Holy Slayer (But GOD do I hate that name) (Darcozzi/Streetfighter): The "Man of wealth and taste," exemplifying Furrante's ideal of the exile noble type pirate. (Scordeo's/Grave Calling)

-- Only thing stopping me here is that Darcozzi's LoH buff doesn't seem that good. 

What's consistent throughout is that I want to play a Streetfighter, so at least we've determined that. It's just a matter of figuring out what I want to pair with it. At least I've narrowed it down somewhat. 

Well out of those Holy Slayer is the most versatile. You won't be the primary dps class on a well built team put you will be able do a lot of things especially if you go trickster on rogue. For Paladin you can go Darcozzi for "lawful evil" or bleakwalker for "neutral evil". But bleakwalker is more of a merc and less concerned with pirate traditions. 

You'll be able to tank as necessary, put pressure on targets through good attacks through rogue and even control the battlefield with some illusion spells. Offensive tank is generally a good class to main because you "set" the encounter with them. With marauder you kind of let the encounter start and then go do your thing ie flank/kill squishies like mages priests druids and archers. 

Well out of those Holy Slayer is the most versatile. You won't be the primary dps class on a well built team put you will be able do a lot of things especially if you go trickster on rogue. For Paladin you can go Darcozzi for "lawful evil" or bleakwalker for "neutral evil". But bleakwalker is more of a merc and less concerned with pirate traditions. 

You'll be able to tank as necessary, put pressure on targets through good attacks through rogue and even control the battlefield with some illusion spells. Offensive tank is generally a good class to main because you "set" the encounter with them. With marauder you kind of let the encounter start and then go do your thing ie flank/kill squishies like mages priests druids and archers. 

Hmm, alright. 

Man, it's kind of funny how Trickster became more or less the go-to Rogue class after it got buffed. 

And, I think you've beautifully addressed what I was looking for - someone to set the encounter. With my Marauder, I was letting Eder engage, and having to dance around with the rest of my party to avoid getting hit. 

Now, important question. Would I still be able to get away with Scordeo's Edge and Pukestabber? Because that weapon set just SCREAMS pirate. 

Hmm, alright. 

Man, it's kind of funny how Trickster became more or less the go-to Rogue class after it got buffed. 

And, I think you've beautifully addressed what I was looking for - someone to set the encounter. With my Marauder, I was letting Eder engage, and having to dance around with the rest of my party to avoid getting hit. 

Now, important question. Would I still be able to get away with Scordeo's Edge and Pukestabber? Because that weapon set just SCREAMS pirate. 

Pukestabber is excellent on trickster based Holy slayer because the Dagger modal gives +10 melee deflection and if you are doing a build around riposte which you probably should if you are a melee Holy slayer that is excellent. As a fast weapon it is great in the offhand for full attacks too. 

The only problem with Pukestabber is one damage type and not the greatest penetration. But Scordeo's Edge, although an excellent weapon also suffers from this penetration problem on PotD sometimes. This is mitigated by Razor Hot Skewers food I think, which all in all is probably the better choice of food and more healthy than alcohol. 

Hmm, alright. 

Pukestabber is excellent on trickster based Holy slayer because the Dagger modal gives +10 melee deflection and if you are doing a build around riposte which you probably should if you are a melee Holy slayer that is excellent. As a fast weapon it is great in the offhand for full attacks too. 

The only problem with Pukestabber is one damage type and not the greatest penetration. But Scordeo's Edge, although an excellent weapon also suffers from this penetration problem on PotD sometimes. This is mitigated by Razor Hot Skewers food I think, which all in all is probably the better choice of food and more healthy than alcohol. 

Hmm. What would you recommend weapon-wise, then? 

You never "have" to drink, but the mad drunk + debauchery enchantment on the dagger gives you amazing attack speed and when you don't kill something they typically are CC'd by having to puke all over the place.

If you go for riposte build though you don't really need attack speed.

I never had a penetration problem; but I never solo'd either so I had debuffs available. 

Here's Sin Tee's Mirke build that I based my Drunkenmaster build off of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgCh9W2yF8

Edited by Theosupus

This is why I created a custom Marauder adventurer and not an MC. She is crazy powerful but she doesn't replace the versatility I have with my Trickster/Beguiler. Granted,for a better DPS build I'd go Trickster/Soulblade only because I simply have too much Focus at the end of a fight.

One build that was fun and I may make again is a Beastmaster. Seemed to synergize well and was able to RP easily. You could also try a Wizard martial build. Funny enough the Wizard has the best weapon summon + enchantment spells in the game.

Edited by Verde