[BoW] [Spoiler] Game Crash / Screen Freeze

warhaven

Question

Game freezes or crashes shortly after Rymrgand smashes the ground with his axe upon refusing to serve him.  I don't know what happens after that because after the camera follows the purple fracturing effect, the screen either freezes or the game crashes.  I've attached the crash log.  The screen freeze is similar to that of the Fort Deadlight bug.

2018-08-06_184944.zip

The bug that is causing this issue is a graphics problem related to lightning effects.

The same issue that freezes the game when Ryn uses a lightning bolt to destroy the bridge happens when you equip the armour Deltro's Cage, which also has a lightning effect.

I've tried to disable graphics as much as possible but the issue occurs with Steam updated version of POE 2 and updated Radeon drivers.

A possible workaround:

The quicksave function continues to work after the screen freeze. I was able to quicksave the game after Rym destroyed the bridge.

After force-closing and relaunching the game, I loaded the quicksave and was able to continue with the Rym fight.

Hopefully, this works for others.

Another possible workaround:

I tried this only once and it worked. I haven't tried it again.

Immediately after finishing the conversation with Rymrgand I pressed ctrl+alt+delete. The screen with options like switch user and start task manager pop up while the game continue running in the background. I waited at that screen for a bit. The the animation that crashes the game finishes while I'm at the ctrl+alt+delete screen. Then I closed the screen and switched back to the game. The game had auto paused when the combat started and I could finish the fight.

Hope this could be of some help.

I am definitely still getting this issue on my game. 

If I accept the offer to have my soul ground then everything is fine, but if I don't agree to  Rymrgand's terms my game freezes the moment his fissure hits the ice bridge.  Kind of screwed up the entire choice and consequence peace of a really good DLC to the point I will skip it on my second play through. 

I have updated drivers as far as I am aware, I have tried the quick save spam, the 1280X780 resolution fix, and the ctrl-alt-del suggestion.   I have also uninstalled the game on steam, deleted local files (except for saves), and then re-installed the game and it still crashes so might be an issue with the save file   

I will email the nessacary files to you. 

Any help would be appreciated.  

nothing has helped me to pass beyond this point, tested with every AMD ATI driver:

- 18.11.1, 18.11.2...

- 18.12.1, 18.12.2...

I have even tested it with a different graphic card, with an AMD R9 280X and with a AMD R9 290.

Still the same bug, and always a BSOD crash in the ATI driver: atikmpag.sys   **Attached again the screen capture of the BSOD crash.

@Obsidian, I have paid for a working product and not for a crappy game, I was hoping that you had fixed it after installing all those DLCs, but even with them, everything is the same.

Lesson learnt, not gonna buy an Obsidian game again in my life, unfinished and buggy games.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr7jtom11ditdxr/Spacesoul%20%28ElVacioBlanco%29_savegame%20and%20BSOD_crash_screencapture.rar?dl=0

I'm also getting (seemingly) random freezes while playing BOW, where everything crashes, and I have to reset my computer. The sound buzzes, and the screen turns into what looks like corduroy (solid colour, covered in vertical lines).

This has only been happening since I installed the latest patch update, I've had no issues at all previously.

It happens after about 5 minutes of play, no matter what I'm doing - fighting, exploring, or even paused in the menu.

I'm on Windows7, with an ATI Radeon R9 270X. I tried updating the drivers, and it made no difference. I've also tried reverifying the game files in GOG. I don't have Forgotten Sanctum installed.

Output_log is here.

Edited by BlueGreen

I'm also getting this. Using a r290x Raden card, latest drivers and game is updated. Getting the blue screen crash.

EDIT: I mean, damn... we all know Rymrgand is a butthole but using his axe to blue screen my computer when I refuse him is a new form of blackmail.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

This issue seems to be related to an error when using directx 11 which seems to be default in PoE II

I have attempted all other fixes mentioned without any luck, however i managed to find a way.

I tried forcing it with -force-d3d10 in steam command line arguments, didn't work howerver seems like it still uses dx11. 

I managed to solve my problem by installing a windows SDK (using this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264396486&tscn=1401340607)

(choose 10.1 where they recommend 11.1)

This did cause incredible lag however, but it did allow me to save before the fight began.

After saving you may re-enable the changes in the above link and you should be able to load the save and do the fight as it was intended.

There seem to be some unity command line arguments that might work as well but i have not tried them, mentioned by @fireundubh#2620 on Discord.

Managed to play through the crashes, and I'm definitely getting the Rymrgand axe-ice CTD as well. My graphics card drivers encounter an error and stop working. Managed to get past it through a mixture of the texhniques in the posts above, but I'm also still getting the every-ten-minute total-computer freezes that I have to hit the reset button to get out of.

My computer is high-spec, and I had absolutely no issues before Patch 4.0.1.0041. It's definitely an ATI Radeon R9 series issue, looks like.

Well Guess what problem I ran into today? 
Well at least incentivized me to upgrade my radaeon graphics. 
Quicksaving didn't work, 
Changing windowed mode didn't work
So I'm either stuck either not playing the game or making a deal with the God of Death...
Choices Choices...

Any news on how soon the patch will drop?

Hi all I too was suffering from Pillars constant crashes, until I moved the game to my SSD HDD, the game now no longer crashes for me. I have been suffering these issues from day 1 and tried everything to resolve it. It seems that pillars is IO sensitive in some way. The following are my drive results (winsat):

Original drive:

> Disk Random 16.0 Read 1.51 MB/s 4.0

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 102.01 MB/s 6.6

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Write 97.94 MB/s 6.5

> Average Read Time with Sequential Writes 5.194 ms 5.9

> Latency: 95th Percentile 36.850 ms 2.5

> Latency: Maximum 124.570 ms 7.6

> Average Read Time with Random Writes 10.079 ms 4.5

SSD drive:

> Disk Random 16.0 Read 2.83 MB/s 4.5

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 106.30 MB/s 6.7

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Write 125.91 MB/s 7.0