[BoW] [Spoiler] Game Crash / Screen Freeze

warhaven

Question

Game freezes or crashes shortly after Rymrgand smashes the ground with his axe upon refusing to serve him.  I don't know what happens after that because after the camera follows the purple fracturing effect, the screen either freezes or the game crashes.  I've attached the crash log.  The screen freeze is similar to that of the Fort Deadlight bug.

2018-08-06_184944.zip

The exact same thing happens to me too. But I also get a "blue screen of death" (windows 7).

Rymrgand smashes the ground with his axe. Then, as the animation travels downwards after the smash, the sound gets all distorted and the game freezes. Then I get the BSOD. I have tried 3-4 times and this happens everytime I refuse him.

I can't find a crash report, perhaps because of the BSOD?

I'm having this exact same problem. The sort of freeze I'm encountering looks and behaves exactly like the type of crashes I've been encountering and mention here.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99929-frequent-freezes-during-battles-conversations-chanter-summons/

I've attached a log file so there's more than one instance of the crash to look at.

output_log.zip

Hi warhaven,

I'm glad to hear that updating your graphics drivers fixed the issue for you. I urge anyone else who is experiencing this to try this same solution.

Thanks for providing your crash logs. I'll have our developers look into this.

I’ve got some developments to report.

After the last patch I tried again. Everything worked and I didn’t get a crash. Great I thought and closed the game without doing the battle. However, since then I haven’t gotten it to work again. The game always crashes right before the animation hits and collapses the ice bridge you came from.

Some more details. I don’t always get the blue screen (get blue screen 90%). A few times I get back to windows and AMD reports that the display driver stopped responding. In those cases the game is still running and I can hear music, but it’s all black and I can’t do anything in the game. One time I got crash info and I will attach it to this post. I got the crash info when I lowered the graphics to low setting and removed VSync. I haven’t been able to reproduce it.

I have also tried to see what the blue screen says. It says that there was an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout that failed and something about atikmpag.sys. I have never gotten this kind of blue screen in this game or any other before.

2018-08-18_104434.zip

Add me to this bug, but the game is crashing the AMD video driver. Sometimes it crashes as well, sometimes, if the driver recovers quickly enough from the crash, it continues to play without rendering the background. Mashing the quicksave button saved the game after the scene and before the fight and allowed me to continue.

BTW, I went through this scene several times with the patch that was available when the DLC came out and never had any issues.

Hey everyone,

We are still working on a fix for this.  As we are unable to reproduce this in house, any information or files you could provide would be greatly appreciated as it gives the Programmers more insight into the issue.  You can find all the useful types of information here.  You can either provide a link to your files via Dropbox or you may attach them to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thank you for helping out and sorry for the inconvenience this bug has been causing.

Still cannot pass this boss and I cant go back from this Area. It crashes all the time. I have updated to AMD drivers 18.9.1 and it does still crashes again and again.

1. @SChin news on the issue?

2. @SChin I can install a debug version of the game if you need to get more information or even let you access to my computer in order to detect the issue, but please fix it, thanks.

3. Does anyone know how to teleport back to my ship with a console command hack and then go back to Rymrgand?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I managed to get past this boss fight by stepping down the resolution to 1280 x 720 in Windowed mode. The fight didnt freeze when he cracks the ice and I could scale up the resolution right after.

Hope this helps!

Chris

I just attempted this method and unfortunately I still get a crash.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I managed to get past this boss fight by stepping down the resolution to 1280 x 720 in Windowed mode. The fight didnt freeze when he cracks the ice and I could scale up the resolution right after.

Hope this helps!

Chris

I just attempted this method and unfortunately I still get a crash.

I also tried and I too still get a crash.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem as the people above. I even tried to lower the resolution to 1280x720 in windowed mode but nothing changed.

When the Beast of Winter cracks the ground, the game freezes, gets me to desktop and I can only hear the sound of the game before a crash report appears.

Come on guys, fix this bug so we can finish the Beast of Winter dlc and move on to Seeker, Slayer ,Survivor. :)

PC: Intel i7-4790k, Radeon R9 280 3GB VRAM with 18.9.3 drivers, 8GB RAM, Win7 Ultimate 64bit. Display with 1680x1050@60 Hz resolution.

• Like 1