Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beast of Winter impressions

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Yria

Yria

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Priest + Mystic from the White that Wends or no, the player is never a Priest of Rymrgand. They always have the option to ask about Rymrgand worship. And Ydwin's an extremely biased (despite (because of?) her Scientist background) source of information on both the White and on the faith. 

Problem is, you can still show that you know those aspects of faith if you have high enough religion. And in the base game having high religion was always (or almost always) interchangeable with being a priest, which creates an impression that all priests know basic stuff about other faiths, related to their own deity or no. Ydwin's biased point of view was interesting to listen to, but I'm not talking about her perspective, I'm talking about knowing facts, like what this cult's main doctrine is (which, again, you can know if your religion is around 14+). 

Anyway, after finishing the DLC I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Would have like a bit more pale elf reactivity, and the ending was abrupt, but these are the only negatives I can think of. New lore tidbits about Ukaizo and Waidwen were especially welcome. I even grew to like Rymrgand somewhat, and he was one of my least favorite gods before BoW. 

- Why are you such a jerk?!

- This is my nature.

...yeah, not sure what answer I expected  :lol: Will try to ask a more relevant question next time. 

handsomenat

handsomenat

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 146 posts

This is accurate. Fenstermaker also contributed to some of his lines in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. I've done the other writing on him in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor and Forgotten Sanctum.

Note that Eric was Eder's writer on the original Pillars (as well as narrative lead on that game).

I think there's a few valuable things that can be taken from this. One is that this is a collaborative medium, even within individual characters, and it gets real muddy real fast when you start assigning praise and blame for things on specific designers. Another is that changes in Eder between Pillars 1 and Pillars 2 were not the result of the designer focused on him changing.

It's been some time since I wrote that but I think I wasn't trying to find out which one of the three writers is "to blame" so to speak. I think I was wondering if three people working on a one character could result in... a little confused design? Because each writer would bring up their own ideas and interpretations which then potentially could not mesh well together? But I wasn't even sure how designing and writing a character in this game looked like in the first place, how collaborative the work generally is. (Because then my "speculations" wouldn't make any sense, right). I also admit I felt bitter about Eder at the moment.

This is NOT true of all Pale Elves.

As for Rymrgand... well, the gods tend to be pretty selfish.

Phew. Thanks for clarifying that, I got unreasonably spooked.

Also thank you for taking your time to reply to us. It was a nice surprise.

OEI_Alex

OEI_Alex

Narrative Designer

• Developers
  • 21 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This is accurate. Fenstermaker also contributed to some of his lines in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. I've done the other writing on him in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor and Forgotten Sanctum.

Note that Eric was Eder's writer on the original Pillars (as well as narrative lead on that game).

I think there's a few valuable things that can be taken from this. One is that this is a collaborative medium, even within individual characters, and it gets real muddy real fast when you start assigning praise and blame for things on specific designers. Another is that changes in Eder between Pillars 1 and Pillars 2 were not the result of the designer focused on him changing.

It's been some time since I wrote that but I think I wasn't trying to find out which one of the three writers is "to blame" so to speak. I think I was wondering if three people working on a one character could result in... a little confused design? Because each writer would bring up their own ideas and interpretations which then potentially could not mesh well together? But I wasn't even sure how designing and writing a character in this game looked like in the first place, how collaborative the work generally is. (Because then my "speculations" wouldn't make any sense, right). I also admit I felt bitter about Eder at the moment.

Sorry if that came off as accusatory, that wasn't my intent at all.

As for people working together - it can cause issues sometimes, but I think it adds a lot of opportunities, too. Certainly I think my writing for Xoti was much weaker in BoW than in FS because I was just getting to know her as a character in the earlier game. I didn't have trouble with her voice, but I also didn't know everything that was going on under the surface. But luckily Megan was still around and I could ask her questions if I got lost along the way.

There's a tendency among players to assign a LOT of responsibility to the writers (and I used to be the same way back before I entered the industry), when there's really a lot of influences on every aspect of the game, companions included. It's a little like how QA will often shoulder the blame for any bugs the community runs into, despite the fact that QA didn't create the bugged content and almost certainly reported it prior to release. ;) 

I did the final writing for Serafen and the characters involved in his companion quest (and the VO casting of them), for example, but I didn't create him, I didn't have any hand in his concept art, I didn't plot out his quest, I didn't create any of the characters specific to that quest (like Syri and Udyne - though I did make major revisions to both of those characters when I took responsibility for that questline). 

Similarly, I know that our former concept artist Lindsey had tremendous influence over the development of Tekehu's character.

(We actually did a talk about this in reference to Vatnir at this year's PAX. https://www.twitch.t...614?t=07h39m36s )

Just a side note:  Thank you for being such an active and responsive member of the forums here, Alex!  It's really cool to hear your perspective on lore, writing, etc. as someone that's more involved in the process, and you're pretty open to questions and cool about various opinions.

Also thank you for taking your time to reply to us. It was a nice surprise.

My pleasure! Thanks to y'all for playing the games and finding them interesting enough to discuss!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users