Beast of Winter impressions

I watched a vid with some of the party comments and his reaction to the dragon getting back up was gold:

"Really?! Sss****!"

My thoughts exactly, Konstanten. My thoughts exactly...

Slightly off topic, but Serafen makes a similar wonderful reaction to the adra dragon.

I watched a vid with some of the party comments and his reaction to the dragon getting back up was gold:

"Really?! Sss****!"

Slightly off topic, but Serafen makes a similar wonderful reaction to the adra dragon.

Pardon?!  She shows up in Deadfire if you spared her in the first game?  I know she joined the Principi but she actually makes an appearance as her dragon self?!

"Really?! Sss****!"

Pardon?! She shows up in Deadfire if you spared her in the first game? I know she joined the Principi but she actually makes an appearance as her dragon self?!
Oh no no no! Sorry! I didn't mean to mislead. The end boss dragon is this mechanical adra looking thing. That's what I was referring to. Not the master below. Edited by Tick

play through bow twice

only question is how to get different ending for harbinger

always get the more reclusive one

If Vatnir is recruited and Hafjorn is not killed*, then you need to explicitly tell them to get out of there. Telling that Rymrgand doesn't want them there and the dragon wasn't his messenger is insufficient.

*no ending slide for the Harbingers, if killed.

25Y3F3x.jpg

On unrelated note, praised be the length of the end-game (Ukaizo).

Edit. Moved the spoiler tag to the beginning of the post.

Edited by Hawke64

Really good DLC. The gameplay was a bit repetitive and very easy even on potd/up, but i played with a hella op group (20). I imagine if you land there as a 15-16 group during a run with half ass equipment you will get destroyed. And thats the point of it, althought i wanted more as someone who finished my main run and went back just to play it, the DLC is perfect as an extension of the game. Deadfire is great, really great as it is right now, but once we have all 3 DLCs, megabosses and 4.0 this game will be the best thing ever. They are aiming for a future cult classic here.

I really loved the dialogues between Waidwen and Eothas. The DLC was very well written. Liked it so much that inspired me to finally buy White March (at full price!) and go back playing POE1.

Edited by eschu101
  • Like 3

"Really?! Sss****!"

Pardon?! She shows up in Deadfire if you spared her in the first game? I know she joined the Principi but she actually makes an appearance as her dragon self?!
Oh no no no! Sorry! I didn't mean to mislead. The end boss dragon is this mechanical adra looking thing. That's what I was referring to. Not the master below.

Oh, the Guardian of Ukaizo?  Okay!

I'm not finished it yet but I'm in love with it. the accents, the cute characters, poor lil Vatnir who I just want to cuddle. The fish and chips meal is my new favourite. I realy want to got the The White that Wends now!

Ydwin is such a bitch I am never taking her again. I never got her appeal and I certainly dislike her completely now.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

It felt too short and coming in with a level 20 party it was anti-climatic as well. Had more trouble with traps (party was low Per except for Maia) than I did with any encounters on Veteran no level scaling. The lack of new abilities or level cap was a let down as well, if you're already geared up with upgraded equipment no real reason to change things up. Overall I'd say it will probably fold into the main game nicely as a side story, but not really good to play with a party from an endgame save. I hope future DLCs bring in a higher levelcap or new abilities to play with, and some sea monsters would be pretty good as well.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Also interested just how much the whole coming Hollowborn crisis factored into this, if at all. It's a hell of a coincidence that Eothas decided to drive kith and gods apart just as The Leaden Key was making its final push in regards to elevating Woedica.

there's no real hints about it in the game, but what I like to think is that Eothas got wind of the Leaden Key's plan and the lengths they were going to go to to preserve the secrets of the gods made him think about whether the secrets even deserved to stay hidden, or whether the gods were worth suffering on the scale of the Hollowborn plague. He decided it wasn't worth it and that he'd get ahead of the Leaden Key and expose the gods.

Most of the lore in the DLC left me lukewarm (though I was excited to see they made a point of saying the guy who brought down Ukaizo had a beard, meaning it must have been Thaos!!) but I loved the Waidwen stuff. Playing both sides of a conversation with multiple dialogue options was great, and they built up a lot of sympathy for Waidwen and the relationship between them with just a few short scenes. The reveal/retcon that Thaos knew about the Godhammer all along and let it happen because it would serve his goal of getting kith to question the gods is one of those twists that managed to both surprise me and make complete sense.

Actually fighting the dragon was a pedestrian affair, and the following zone was really annoying, and I can't help but feel the final fight felt a bit pointless. The atmosphere was well done though, and overall I'm really happy with this DLC

• Like 3

The reveal/retcon that Thaos knew about the Godhammer all along and let it happen because it would serve his goal of getting kith to question the gods is one of those twists that managed to both surprise me and make complete sense.

You mean Eothas?

The reveal/retcon that Thaos knew about the Godhammer all along and let it happen because it would serve his goal of getting kith to question the gods is one of those twists that managed to both surprise me and make complete sense.

You mean Eothas?

Eothas is an anagram of 'e Thaos which equals "he Thaos".

He be Thaos!!!

Mind.  Blown.  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

(Yes, it was obviously a slip of the keyboard there.  But I thought the anagram bit was funny, if unoriginal :lol:)

Hey, if there are Valian trading posts in the White that Wends, does that mean it'd make sense for there to be mountain dwarves from there?  Or would boreal dwarves make more sense, as it's their second-largest population outside of Naasitaq?  I got an idea to make a hired-adventurer as a friend of my pale elf cipher, who helped her leave the Land and make her way to the Dyrwood, and I'm not sure if I should make them a dwarf or an ocean folk...

I finally got to play it and I agree that Vatnir is a great addition to the sidekick pool. There was lots of interesting lore about the White and running around the Fade - er, that is, the Beyond - solving the puzzles and talking to the folks there was pretty cool. Well, except Waidwen/Eothas, I mostly hated that bit.

Ydwin had a lot to say, but she wasn't as interesting as I hoped she would be. Now I'm trying to decide who I should bring along on my next run. Does Tekehu speak up much during the Ukaizo section?

Ydwin had a lot to say, but she wasn't as interesting as I hoped she would be. Now I'm trying to decide who I should bring along on my next run. Does Tekehu speak up much during the Ukaizo section?

Tekehu's companion quest ends at Ukaizo, so pretty much yeah.

I always got the impression that Thaos knew about the Godhammer (he seems to know about everything, including the consistency of Wolf-Grin's stool last weekend) and that it simply provided a convenient cover for his Woedica plan.

Edited by Tagaziel

I brought Tekehu with me to the Ukaizo part and he didn't have that much to say, just few lines like "anything's possible, this could be Ukaizo" and then I could offer him as a gift to the king. Rekke also didn't have any lines and he was listed as a recommended companion. Anyone got anything interesting from that part?

• Like 2

Rekke has an interesting line in the Endless Queries

Oh you're right! Like he has this huge reaction when you have the "you're the best and worst of yourselves" line

What was up with that?

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

His guilt probably? It's hinted that he didn't choose to be on the ship but it was a punishment for the arson he committed? So I guess maybe that?

That's a good point. I originally assumed it's a religious line (or something close to it) that hit home for some reason. But the guilt makes a lot of sense.

Does he ever say why he made a bunch of buildings burn or if it was an accident?

I brought Tekehu with me to the Ukaizo part and he didn't have that much to say, just few lines like "anything's possible, this could be Ukaizo" and then I could offer him as a gift to the king. Rekke also didn't have any lines and he was listed as a recommended companion. Anyone got anything interesting from that part?

Allegedly if Tekehu isn't there you can try to foist off Rekke instead and when he complains, tell him being a missionary is kinda like being an ambassador.  Or something like that according to the game files.  Didn't try that hard to get it to fire.