Livegiver is the best healer in the game bar none cipher is crowd control and some damage Oracle would be a nice support character that makes everyone around stronger and healthy while locking down enemies with mind spells (consider beguiler for cipher). Overall more a jedi sage/counselor character than a knight though.  

A solid suggestion, though at this point we're getting into Star Wars Expanded Universe semantics.  Most people just know Jedi as Knights and haven't heard of Consulars!  :geek:

Beguiler DOES look interesting, especially for mind tricking.  I was thinking about replacing one of these Cipher powers with Mental Binding, as it's been the Cipher power I've used the most in the first game.  I may also want to look into Valorous Echoes and Ancestor's Memory to buff my allies.  What say you?  

A solid suggestion, though at this point we're getting into Star Wars Expanded Universe semantics.  Most people just know Jedi as Knights and haven't heard of Consulars!  :geek:

Nah Consulars are common even outside of EU. They are officially more of the Old Republic thing, though. But current canon goes way beyond the mainstream movies.

• Like 1

Nah Consulars are common even outside of EU. They are officially more of the Old Republic thing, though. But current canon goes way beyond the mainstream movies.

Okay.  I was just kiddin' around!  ;)

The goal of something like a Lifegiver/Beguiler would be to build as “pure” a caster as you could. Beguiler’s main bonus is to be able to regain focus from casting spells on enemies that already have afflictions. So the idea would be to open with tangle foot to hobble everything, then cast cipher aoe control spells non stop. You could fight in melee, but you won’t be amazing at it.

Soul blade / Lifegiver won’t be the strongest melee character ever, but with firebrand you’ll have good accuracy, decent penetration (scion of flame boosts all attacks with firebrand) and quite respectable damage from soul annihilation. Then you can still make great use of control powers on the cipher side, but they’re less of a focus.

Neither combo will be a minmaxed power build, but there are synergies to be found either way. So it’s up to whether you want more focus on melee damage or ranged, aoe control.

• Like 1

The goal of something like a Lifegiver/Beguiler would be to build as “pure” a caster as you could. Beguiler’s main bonus is to be able to regain focus from casting spells on enemies that already have afflictions. So the idea would be to open with tangle foot to hobble everything, then cast cipher aoe control spells non stop. You could fight in melee, but you won’t be amazing at it.

Soul blade / Lifegiver won’t be the strongest melee character ever, but with firebrand you’ll have good accuracy, decent penetration (scion of flame boosts all attacks with firebrand) and quite respectable damage from soul annihilation. Then you can still make great use of control powers on the cipher side, but they’re less of a focus.

Neither combo will be a minmaxed power build, but there are synergies to be found either way. So it’s up to whether you want more focus on melee damage or ranged, aoe control.

Last time I tested the cipher level 1 passive penetrating visions boosted druid (and other casters) penetration on spells but I don't know if it has been changed now though. So fire spells could hit quite hard on a fury druid combo with the ring of focused flame and scion of flame on top if you really wanted it.

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

Thanks again, this is super helpful!

If I want to hold another weapon beside Firebrand (like, say the Whispers of the Endless Paths or the Twin Eels), could I get away with it, or should I be ALL FIREBRAND ALL THE TIME?

Firebrand will probably be the best single target damage out of any great sword except maybe for void wheel, but whispers or twin eels also have things going for them, so you can certainly get use out of them if you get tired of firebrand.

Here's the important question, then.  What does Voidwheel LOOK like?  If there's one thing I've learned from these forums, it's that the icons don't really capture what the weapon looks like in person.

• 2 weeks later...