I've been playing around with it, and I think I'd lean toward Animist over Lifegiver.  I'm playing around with a low level Oracle with melee focus (Animist/Soul Blade) and its been better with the initial play with a Lifegiver.  It's an interesting playstyle.  More in the morning.

So, if you take a Lifegiver, opening levels look a little like:

Lvl 1:

Sunbeam, Nature's Bounty [i prefer Animist and taking Nature's Mark]

Whispers of Treason [Too good not to take, could also do Tenuous Grasp]

Lvl 2: 

Soul Shock

Lvl 3: 

Iron Will [Kind of useless at this level, but should eventually pay dividends]

Lvl 4:

The Moon's Light, and either Woodskin [High Pierce AR is great!] or Taste of the Hunt

Draining Whip

Battles roll\ out like this ... 

- Eder takes the heat

- Little Green Jedi charms or confuses someone to take the heat off

- Little Green Jedi drops two Sunbeams on the bad guys - can't emphasize enough how good Sunbeam is

- Blinded bad guys are easy to hit - melee crits with Saber ensue

- Hit Ascended status and keep killing

- Shift to cat form when needed  

I played a Wild Orlan (green colored!), max perception, high dexterity, moderate Might, moderate Intelligence, dump resolve.  Animist/Ascendant.  Fun little build.  I may keep playing it.

• Like 1

I played a Wild Orlan (green colored!), max perception, high dexterity, moderate Might, moderate Intelligence, dump resolve.  Animist/Ascendant.  Fun little build.  I may keep playing it.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”  I just found the stat allocation funny from an RP standpoint of a Jedi.  It actually sounds like a good precedent for a character that goes from good to evil in the end. :p

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

What the heck about "the Jedi in a spiritual sense of being connected to all living things"? Where did you get this?

Jedi's code

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

It's a MONK in all senses.

Monk\Cipher is a great "Jedi" concept. 

Forget about Druid\Cipher, they don't synergies with each other. Believe me, i've tried.

Jedis are not nature warriors or nature wardens. They are peacekeepers and sentinels.

If you wanna create some "nature" Jedi, try Druid\Paladin or Druid\Fighter.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98651-class-build-the-green-knight/

• Like 1

Sorry for my bad english.

Monk/Cipher IS pretty awesome. Particularly Helwalker/Ascendant.

Takes a while to get rolling, but once you get Duality of Mortal Presence on level 10, your Cipher powers have huge aoes and last forever. +60% Might damage bonus doesn't hurt either.

Also nice synergy with the aoe mortar weapons and aoe delivery of Stunning Blows (which later get refunded with Stunning Surge).

Edited by Haplok

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”  I just found the stat allocation funny from an RP standpoint of a Jedi.  It actually sounds like a good precedent for a character that goes from good to evil in the end. :p

hah!  That's an interesting idea.  Cruel and Aggressive, here I come!

This is basically my exact same character concept though I went with a pale elf and my oracle build was beguiler / lifegiver. Not the best/strongest of builds but it definitely fit in my head from the RP/narrative angle.

Good support character as CC and secondary healer.

Building focus for cipher abilities can be a bit of an issue early on if you're not shape shifting to go into melee and even that's risky early game.

Most of my cipher abilities were mind/deception based.

Only additional druid spells outside the ones lifegiver grants I took were some ice spells for RP flavour given that my dude came from the White that Wends. 

Other talents focussed on boosting up focus etc.

Given that beguiler abilities give the range bonus, he was on the back lines dual wielding scepters to blast between casting.

What the heck about "the Jedi in a spiritual sense of being connected to all living things"? Where did you get this?

Jedi's code

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

It's a MONK in all senses.

Monk\Cipher is a great "Jedi" concept. 

Forget about Druid\Cipher, they don't synergies with each other. Believe me, i've tried.

Jedis are not nature warriors or nature wardens. They are peacekeepers and sentinels.

If you wanna create some "nature" Jedi, try Druid\Paladin or Druid\Fighter.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98651-class-build-the-green-knight/

I "got this" from Yoda's speech in The Empire Strikes Back that I linked in the OP:

"For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."

Yes, Monk would be pretty sweet, but I was looking more to take my initial character who was a Cipher in PoE1 and add a spiritual dimension to them that would synergize well with the Mystic background and make her more distinct from Ydwin, while not stealing Vatnir's thunder by being a priest either.  I understand it may not synergize well, but it DOES seem cool, especially given the multiclass name is Oracle, which makes sense given the Mystic background can have visions from time to time.  The Green Knight actually was part of the inspiration for this concept!  :)

So, if you take a Lifegiver, opening levels look a little like:

Lvl 1:

Sunbeam, Nature's Bounty [i prefer Animist and taking Nature's Mark]

Whispers of Treason [Too good not to take, could also do Tenuous Grasp]

Lvl 2: 

Soul Shock

Lvl 3: 

Iron Will [Kind of useless at this level, but should eventually pay dividends]

Lvl 4:

The Moon's Light, and either Woodskin [High Pierce AR is great!] or Taste of the Hunt

Draining Whip

Battles roll\ out like this ... 

- Eder takes the heat

- Little Green Jedi charms or confuses someone to take the heat off

- Little Green Jedi drops two Sunbeams on the bad guys - can't emphasize enough how good Sunbeam is

- Blinded bad guys are easy to hit - melee crits with Saber ensue

- Hit Ascended status and keep killing

- Shift to cat form when needed  

This is really helpful, thank you!  And nice one with the Orlan "Yoda!"  :grin:

Edited by jtbehnke
  • Like 1

Thank you, thundercleese!

Knowing that, here's another attempt at picking stuff:

Level 1: Nature's Bounty, Sunbeam (may swap this with Winter Wind to fit the White that Wends origin)/Whispers of Treason

Level 2: Soul Shock

Level 3: Iron Will

Level 4: The Moon's Light, Woodskin/Draining Whip

Level 5: Two-Handed Style

Level 6: Recall Agony

Level 7: Nature's Balm, Infestation of Maggots/Hammering Thoughts

Level 8: Secret Horrors

Level 9: Puppet Master

Level 10: Purge of Toxins

Level 11: Moonwell, Form of the Delemgan/ Silent Scream 

Level 12: Body Attunement

Level 13: Cleansing Wind, Plague of Insects/Borrowed Instinct

Level 14: Rapid Casting

Level 15: Uncanny Luck

Level 16: Garden of Life, Rot Skulls/Amplified Wave

Level 17: Disintegrate

Level 18: The Empty Soul

Level 19: Nature's Bounty, Weather the Storm/Echoing Horror

Level 20: Rusted Armor

I sort of combined bigwillystyle's suggestions with 1TTFFSSE's Banshee build, one of the more complete cipher multiclass builds I've found.  It's a starting point so it can be revised to be at least "workable."  I know I want to use a greatsword as my primary weapon of choice, and I'm not sure if the picks for the cipher side of the build are the most appropriate, since the Banshee appears to based more on ranged fighting, rather than getting into the think of melee with a sword.

You could build around firebrand. Oracle looks like a pretty decent choice for that, since firebrand can have its accuracy boosted by the ring of focused flame, meaning you can use savage attack without penalty. That’s really good for soul annihilation, since it gets a much bigger damage boost from savage attack comparable to other abilities, but also is affected more by accuracy than normal attacks. Firebrand also has sort of a lightsaber feel to it as well. It’s probably not the strongest build in the world, but it should be a more or less perfect jack of all trades, offering good support, control, healing, durability, aoe spell damage and single target melee damage at need.

• Like 1

You could build around firebrand. Oracle looks like a pretty decent choice for that, since firebrand can have its accuracy boosted by the ring of focused flame, meaning you can use savage attack without penalty. That’s really good for soul annihilation, since it gets a much bigger damage boost from savage attack comparable to other abilities, but also is affected more by accuracy than normal attacks. Firebrand also has sort of a lightsaber feel to it as well. It’s probably not the strongest build in the world, but it should be a more or less perfect jack of all trades, offering good support, control, healing, durability, aoe spell damage and single target melee damage at need.

:w00t: Why didn't I think of that sooner?!  That's a GREAT idea!  I already like using Firebrand thanks to the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannonner in the first game, so why WOULDN'T I continue to use it after multiclassing with the class that has it as a spell?!  Plus, a jack-of-all-trades is EXACTLY the kind of character I enjoy playing in games like these!  Thank you!

Hmm...I should probably shuffle some stuff around to include more fire-based stuff like Sunbeam and Scion of Flame.  Having taken a closer look at the Druid subclasses, I think bigwillystyle's suggestion of going with Animist instead of Lifegiver is worth taking.  No real penalties to worry about, I can just pick the healing spells on my own (and Animist has Moon's Light anyway), and it thematically fits more with the idea I had starting out.

"Animists are the most common druids in Eora. See life in all facets of the world, animists draw power from the complex web of connections between plants, animals, the weather, and even humble rocks and soil."

"For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."

Sounds pretty similar, no?

Aside from flavor, the decision between animist and lifegiver comes down to whether you want to take summon spells. Are you going to choose at least one summon? Then take animist. Otherwise, lifegiver is much better. I think both subclasses are going to end up taking moonwell and the moon’s light anyway.

Okay, here's a revised list.  Sticking with Lifegiver for now:

Level 1: Nature's Vigor, Sunbeam/Whispers of Treason

Level 2: Soul Shock

Level 3: Iron Will

Level 4: The Moon's Light, Firebrand/Draining Whip

Level 5: Two-Handed Style

Level 6: Recall Agony

Level 7: Nature's Balm, Burst of Summer Flame/Hammering Thoughts

Level 8: Purge of Toxins

Level 9: Secret Horrors

Level 10: Puppet Master

Level 11: Moonwell, Scion of Flame/Silent Scream 

Level 12: Form of the Delemgan

Level 13: Cleansing Wind, Rapid Casting/Body Attunement

Level 14: Borrowed Instinct

Level 15: Uncanny Luck

Level 16: Garden of Life, Sunlance/Amplified Wave

Level 17: Disintegration

Level 18: The Empty Soul

Level 19: Nature's Bounty, Weather the Storm/Echoing Horror

Level 20: Rusted Armor

I'm setting this up right, right?  My understanding is that you get two pools of points at level-up: one for active abilities and one for passive ones, so I may have the wrong abilities in the wrong spots.

Yes, according to the Fextralife, for Lifegiver that's Nature's Vigor, The Moon's Light, Nature's Balm, Moonwell, Cleansing Wind, Garden of Life, and Nature's Bounty (Regenerate and Pollen Patch are inaccessible to me due to multiclassing).  And I want all those spells anyway!  :grin:

Edited by jtbehnke

Livegiver is the best healer in the game bar none cipher is crowd control and some damage Oracle would be a nice support character that makes everyone around stronger and healthy while locking down enemies with mind spells (consider beguiler for cipher). Overall more a jedi sage/counselor character than a knight though.  

• Like 1