Networking question

CAIN

Due to an upcoming surgery I need to move my computer from my basement to an upstairs family room (an addition). My home network consist of a total of 4 computers (including my computer and a spare gaming computer and 2 printers in the basement (one moving to the upstairs family room). The family room as one ethernet cable going to it now for my son computer which is staying there. I also have  television hard wired to my main tv plus one for the basement. My network now consist of cable (Charter) coming into modem then to a four port wireless router in the basement. Wireless router connects are: My main gaming computer, spare gaming computer, and printer with the 4th connection goes upstairs to a 4 port switch.  The switch has connections to my wife computer, 1 television upstairs and connection for basement tv and printer (on spitter) and the familyroom. I recently received a 16 port (TL-SG1016) switch from a friend. My wiring is a mixture of cat5e and cat6. I looking for suggestions on setup and if it worth to upgrade the wiring to cat6a or cat7. I am sorry for the long post but i wanted to give a clear picture of my current setup.

Thanks to all in advance.

Sorry, the question is just "should I upgrade to cat6a or better"? It would probably really only be necessary if you have very long cables - not sure exactly what the cutoff would be, but unless you have some bizarre setup, it's probably overkill in a home.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sorry, the question is just "should I upgrade to cat6a or better"? It would probably really only be necessary if you have very long cables - not sure exactly what the cutoff would be, but unless you have some bizarre setup, it's probably overkill in a home.

No, not even with very long cables. At the speed the network components can operate (the best a TL-SG1016 does is 1000Base-T) the current Cat 5e/6 cables will do just fine. You'd only neet Cat 6a or better to guarantee 10 GbE with long cables.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly you should be good to about 300 feet

It is - 100 meters to be exact. That's as far as the specifications guarantee full bandwith for individual segments.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.