Hello.

I wanted to create a new MC for the BoW dlc (yeah a bit late I know), and I was wondering if some of with deeper game knowledge could give me some tips on class build. I've been looking at the builds, but I kinda want to create my own twist on things or come up with new stuff. I just can't decide what I want heh. Just fishing for ideas right now.

PotD run with scaling and BB. Full party. Doesn't have to be an uber build, just be fun and be able to make it work. Anyway, gonna pile up what I was thinking.

1.  Is there a way to make a DoT-heavy build? Maybe based on corrode abilities? I noticed Druid has some nice DoTs, but the Fortitude targetting kinda gets in the way often. What's the best way to reduce Fort on enemies? The amount of times my spells get resisted is nothing short of ridiculous. But then I often see things like missing with FoD + arquebus modal (73 acc vs 48 def), and it's not even that rare. I was planning on using Aloth for CW + DoTs. I'm guessing debuff-type DoTs don't really trigger CW, though, only things like Wall of Flame do, is that right?.

2.  The other thing I wanted to try was something that does very high single-target damage that can eliminate backline squishies fast. I'm guessing you'll be recommending Assassin with Arquebus, although I actually wanted to go melee. Opening with a ranged weapon is ok, though, I just want to switch to melee afterwards and still be useful.

3.  My third idea is some kind of cold-based spellcaster. Do Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar and CW cancel out each other? Either way, anything that uses cold damage works for me, be it spellcaster, martial or spellblade.

Thanks for any and every input.

Edited by Vaneglorious

1. DoT characters are definitely possible, though you'll probably do some other stuff too.

-Druids bring powerful aoe DoT spells, but they lack the single target capacity of other classes.

-Ciphers have very powerful single target DoTs.

-Rogues have loads of DoT attacks that can all be stacked up for massive damage while also hitting very hard with a weapon.

-Priests, especially priests of berath, have strong AoE dots and can cast cleansing flame, which not only does heavy fire damage over time by itself, it also doubles the damage of all your other DoTs while it's active.

-My choice would be rogue/priest of berath, for toxic strike into cleansing flame. If you max int and might, those two skills together should do absolutely massive damage. You start with touch of rot, which is quite strong, then can pick up decent low level DoT strikes on the rogue, too, as you level.

2. You don't need to use an arquebus to backstab. Lots of people post good things about the whispers of the endless paths with its run through ability and backstab. For standard melee, a soul blade / assassin is probably the highest consistent backstab damage you can get. You can either backstab to build focus, then attack normally with a high focus soul annihilation against a sneak attack vulnerable target, or against really tough enemies with tons of HP, you can swing a couple times to build up to high focus, go invisible, then backstab with soul annihilation for insane damage. You'll be squishy as all hell, though.

3. I haven't really explored trying to make a cold-based caster. For whatever reason, it's possible to stack a bunch of effects to boost fire spells, but there isn't a wide variety of equipment that works for other key words. You could make a skald using grave calling and focus only on casting white winds and eld nary. Those are both high damage cold spells, and your icy saber will add even more cold damage to them.

Thanks for the reply.

I could probably level alchemy and use poisons on my DoT character(s), too.

I tried WotEP, but the base damage was underwhelming. Maybe I should give it another try. I really wanted to just one/two shot squishies to get those annoying casters out of the fight as soon as I can.

Should I use Grave Calling and that chanter Sabre (forgot name) you can buy from Dark Cupboard on the chanter you suggested?

1. My suggestion would definitely be Wizard/Transmuter (or no-subclass). Combusting wounds is a long-duration debuff that applies one stack of DoT every time enemy gets hit. This is triggered by AoE abilities such as Wall of Flame, Chill Fog, but also Hand Mortar's explosions. Blunderbuss applies up to 4 stacks as each pellet triggers it. This ability is available very early and it's very reliable unless you run into fire-immune enemies.

Do lashes on weapons really add to spell damage? I need to look into mechanics deeper lol.

What do you reckon would be a good 2ndary class for the dual sabre Skald build you suggested? Or is single class a better choice?

Edited by Vaneglorious

Only the lashes on a few weapons. Grave calling and bel beckoning do. The singing scimitar’s lash does as well. Modwyr’s used to, but I think doesn’t anymore.

As for class, I asked the same question a while ago here. Most people like berserker. Between the speed and crit rate it should be hard to beat. Lion’s sprint is also bugged, so gives a large accuracy bonus for its whole duration. With consumables and party support, ranger could be better, though. Its innate crit rate will be better and can be boosted further by consumables, while the berserker’s can’t.

Edited by grasida

Do you want to use story companions or are you open to custom ones?

The only story companion that is optimal is Teheku (and maybe Mirke if you follow Sin Tee's build).

With a full party you don't have to min/max super optimize. You want things that debuff, things that add accuracy, and things that do something on hit/crit.

If you follow the Iron hammer guide for a custom companion (or MC) then use the Teheku Stormgod guide in these forums you can make everyone else ranged dps (either with weapons or magic or any combo of both.

The two major strategies in my party build outs are:
1. specialize each person and swap them for different encounters (having a super-awesome fire guy during the magma dragon is a waste of a slot, having a super-awesome ice guy in the DLC is a waste of a spot.
2. Make each person, at least slightly, flexible in damage types and use them throughout base on cross build synergy.

My Favorite synergies: 
1. Main tank has constant distraction (so has a tank+rogue multiclass) and tons of engagements + an AoE Rogue and/or Scout = aoe deathblows for everyone
2. Will breaker + body shots modal + fort debuffs = all your barbarians chain critting (put a "X on crit" weapon in their hands and you get to do the pink mist dance).
3. Assassinate + empower + pumped PL's + aoe spell from stealth = boom (add that to # 1 and you can basically one shot most encounters)

I've found myself trying to make builds that are "good enough" instead of game breaking now though.  The only other way to make the game hard would make it not fun (try being a streetfighter with immunity to flanked gear heheheh).

Edited by Theosupus

Well, as I said, I'm not looking for be-all end-all builds that make challenging fights laughable. I'm looking for builds that aren't following the usual OP combos, but ones that nevertheless make sense and look fun anyway. And of course satisfy my whim.

I roll with in-game companions, not custom followers. Sometimes I take a side character like Ydwin. I find the game more enjoyable if I'm more invested in their stories and banter and whatnot. I don't think you need to find perfect setups to do PotD, just something that has synergy with your party. And is fun, of course.

Well, as I said, I'm not looking for be-all end-all builds that make challenging fights laughable. I'm looking for builds that aren't following the usual OP combos, but ones that nevertheless make sense and look fun anyway. And of course satisfy my whim.

I roll with in-game companions, not custom followers. Sometimes I take a side character like Ydwin. I find the game more enjoyable if I'm more invested in their stories and banter and whatnot. I don't think you need to find perfect setups to do PotD, just something that has synergy with your party. And is fun, of course.

So far the most fun i've had was

MC: Fanatic w/ dual warhammers and DoC breastplate (used mod+duskfall early game)

Teheku: Thuerg w/ singing sword and Clad scalth using Aloth's robe

Sarafen: Witch w/ Tarn's and Beza's w/ Castia legacy

Xoti: Priest w/ her lantern + Marux, miscreant leathers

Eder: Rogue w/ fire in the hole, hand mortar (wael's + the new DLC scepter for pierce immune) using Husk (with perception resistance) and blunderbuss modal always on

I had to swap Teheku out for Konstatine for the DLC with this party since he was 100% frost/water based 

edit: By fun I mean it wasn't a cakewalk and it also wasn't aggravating.

Edited by Theosupus

1.  Is there a way to make a DoT-heavy build? Maybe based on corrode abilities? I noticed Druid has some nice DoTs, but the Fortitude targetting kinda gets in the way often. What's the best way to reduce Fort on enemies? The amount of times my spells get resisted is nothing short of ridiculous. But then I often see things like missing with FoD + arquebus modal (73 acc vs 48 def), and it's not even that rare. I was planning on using Aloth for CW + DoTs. I'm guessing debuff-type DoTs don't really trigger CW, though, only things like Wall of Flame do, is that right?

The best damage dealing spells IMO are the DoT spells so, yeah definitely. Only direct damage will trigger Combusting Wounds, but direct damage from DoT surfaces like Wall of Flame or Wicked Briars will trigger Combusting Wounds. Combusting Wounds really shines in tandem with those and pretty much every single one of Minoletta's ranged missile spells.

If you want pure debuff styled DoTs though; Druid has the best one in the game with Plague of Insects. Ciphers have pretty good ones too but they're all single target. Priests also get some amazing ones in Shining Beacon and Cleansing Flame.

Edited by Wolken3156

Skald pretty much begs to be paired with berserker for it's 30% crit conversion. It’s honestly an absurd combo.

But you're focusing on weapon dps that way, right? I mean I gotta hit stuff either way, so yeah might as well.

If you’re not going the “melee and spam” route there’s really no reason to pick skald, troubadour will be much better.

Skald pretty much begs to be paired with berserker for it's 30% crit conversion. It’s honestly an absurd combo.

But you're focusing on weapon dps that way, right? I mean I gotta hit stuff either way, so yeah might as well.

A skald is really a mix of weapon attacks and attack spells with the occasional support spell thrown in. I don’t know how it holds up in damage output compared to a strictly melee or caster dps build, though.

If you’re really focused heavily on damage invocations, skald is better than troubadour, but troubadour is much, much more versatile than skald and it’s hardly clear that the chanter’s damage invocations are much better than its summons.

The best damage dealing spells IMO are the DoT spells so, yeah definitely. Only direct damage will trigger Combusting Wounds, but direct damage from DoT surfaces like Wall of Flame or Wicked Briars will trigger Combusting Wounds. Combusting Wounds really shines in tandem with those and pretty much every single one of Minoletta's ranged missile spells.

If you want pure debuff styled DoTs though; Druid has the best one in the game with Plague of Insects. Ciphers have pretty good ones too but they're all single target. Priests also get some amazing ones in Shining Beacon and Cleansing Flame.

I see. My only caveat is that spellcasters are kind of hit-or-miss when it comes to dps. Since the number of spells are so limited, missing on important ones that target enemies really irks me. Aloth misses so often it's not even funny. So does Xoti. Only Tekehu manages to hit with spells fairly consistently as I observed, but I usually use him as the heal bot. Most of my spellcasters are buff/cc/heal bots.

A skald is really a mix of weapon attacks and attack spells with the occasional support spell thrown in. I don’t know how it holds up in damage output compared to a strictly melee or caster dps build, though.

If you’re really focused heavily on damage invocations, skald is better than troubadour, but troubadour is much, much more versatile than skald and it’s hardly clear that the chanter’s damage invocations are much better than its summons.

I'm mostly concerned about that aoe cold invocation, because it will hit allies. I'd need to be very particular with my positioning. Not to mention the new DLC has cold resistant enemies as I figured and heard. Is there a way to empower cold or even corrode damage with items? Haven't memorized all the items yet tbh, so don't remember. I was also thinking maybe dual class Wiz/Skald to get Wiz buffs and more cold spells, especially Chill Fog. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

Edited by Vaneglorious

You’d definitely want to figure out a way to eliminate the confusion from berserker, or else you’d have lots of problems with a berserker/skald, not just friendly fire from white winds. Fortunately there are several ways to get resistance to intellect afflictions.

You’d definitely want to figure out a way to eliminate the confusion from berserker, or else you’d have lots of problems with a berserker/skald, not just friendly fire from white winds. Fortunately there are several ways to get resistance to intellect afflictions.

Right now I'm trying out Devoted/Skald, see what happens. I should get plenty of phrases with the Intuitive and I can get a lot of penetration, too.

MIG 15

CON 8

DEX 10

PER 20

INT 17

RES 8

+2 with BB

Although I'm thinking about drumping RES for more DEX, because having those long recoveries after invocations kinda sucks.

We'll see how it turns out.

Edited by Vaneglorious

I’d take a few points out of int and put them into dex too, since that will speed up phrase generation and make using the invocations less painful. Int is important for you, but I feel like dex is maybe more so. I could be wrong about that, though.

I’d take a few points out of int and put them into dex too, since that will speed up phrase generation and make using the invocations less painful. Int is important for you, but I feel like dex is maybe more so. I could be wrong about that, though.

Oh dang that could be right. I do enjoy having a bigger aura on chants + longer duration on cc and buffs, though.

edit: Nope, only linger is affected by INT.

Edited by Vaneglorious