Culture/Background for a Principi Character: Old Vallia Slave or Deadfire... Something?

Hey guys, 

So, I'm curious as to what culture would be a good fit for a character who's naturally aligned with the Principi - basically what I mean by that is, someone who might more naturally fit in with the Principi (The NPCs wouldn't see them as a 'foreigner', and I'd get special dialogue choices with them). It's easy to do for the Huana, RDC, and VTC (To an extent), but since the Principi are such a mixed group of backgrounds and cultures, it's hard to tell which one would 'fit in' with them the most. 

What I'm thinking about for now is Old Vallia - Slave, because freed slaves make up a lot of the ranks of the Newblood Principi. It also gives me Old Vallian culture for dialogue with Furrante and some of the "Old Guard" Principi. 

If I remember correctly, there is a "Deadfire- Raider" option, and the Deadfire origin gives you a lot more reactivity from the game, especially if you pick aumaua as your race 

There is! Though I was kind of worried that the Deadfire background makes people think you're a Huana sympathizer. 

So I'm torn between Deadfire - Raider and Old Vallia - Slave for my Principi character. 

My issue with Deadfire is that, while it gives a LOT more reactivity from the game (More than three times any other Culture option), it DOES seem to kind of... typecast you as being a Huana supporter. Now, I haven't gotten too far into the Principi questline, so I'm not sure how much reactivity you get from characters in Dunnage or from Aeldys and her group in regards to that. 

• Like 1

So I'm torn between Deadfire - Raider and Old Vallia - Slave for my Principi character.

My issue with Deadfire is that, while it gives a LOT more reactivity from the game (More than three times any other Culture option), it DOES seem to kind of... typecast you as being a Huana supporter. Now, I haven't gotten too far into the Principi questline, so I'm not sure how much reactivity you get from characters in Dunnage or from Aeldys and her group in regards to that.

Do you know if the Principi NPCs react differently to a native Deadfire culture MC? If not, it might not be so bad especially since you could be "born" in Deadfire with Valian parents a part of the Principi in the past? Headcanon, of course. Old Valia gives you better options in dialogues and reactions from the Principi? If so, that combination might fill like a better fit without more headcanon. Edited by XEternalXDreamsX

Do you know if the Principi NPCs react differently to a native Deadfire culture MC? If not, it might not be so bad especially since you could be "born" in Deadfire with Valian parents apart of the Principi in the past? Headcanon, of course. Old Valia gives you better options in dialogues and reactions from the Principi? If so, that combination might fill like a better fit without more headcanon.

That's the issue though, I don't know - I played through the first few Principi quests (Blow the Man Down and meeting Aeldys) with a Deadfire-born character, and there didn't seem to be any specific dialogues (But then, I had qualifiers off). The Deadfire DOES give you access to the Raider background, which I imagine would come into play to some extent. 

The Principi originally came from Old Vallia, and the Old Guard are mostly Oceanfolk, like Furrante, so I imagine there'd be a few dialogue choices there, but there's overlap with the Vallians in that respect, since there's no "Republics" culture choice. 

Sorry about that, those questions are kinda like thinking out loud. Lol.

It seems Old Vailia does overlap with VTC, or would actually seem to go hand in hand.

Raider has 12 [checks], and Slave has 9 [checks].

It really depends when it comes into play since Slave can be checked during the time on Crookspur and Seferan, perhaps then be light everywhere else? Hmmm. Also, Old Vailia only has 14 [checks] total.. it makes me wonder if any of those 14 are from Principi NPCs and not VTC.

The Deadfire Raider sounds/screams Principi even though there are extremes. The Principi are natural raiders. Also, the checks for Raider might be what you are looking for as far as flavor. Just my opinion that it sounds better.

For me, it would give me my only reason to pick Raider so I throw my lot in with Deadfire Raider.

Edited by XEternalXDreamsX

It seems Old Vailia does overlap with VTC, or would actually seem to go hand in hand.

It really depends when it comes into play since Slave can be checked during the time on Crookspur and Seferan, perhaps then be light everywhere else? Hmmm. Also, Old Vailia only has 14 [checks] total.. it makes me wonder if any of those 14 are from Principi NPCs and not VTC.

The Deadfire Raider sounds/screams Principi even though there are extremes. The Principi are natural raiders. Also, the checks for Raider might be what you are looking for as far as flavor. Just my opinion that it sounds better.

For me, it would give me my only reason to pick Deadfire Raider so I throw my lot in with Deadfire Raider.

Alright. And you're right - I could play it as having a character who was born in the Deadfire, grew up with the language, and who everyone just /assumes/ is Huana, or a Huana-symphasizer... and who MIGHT be, but isn't, fully. There's some overlap between the Principi and the Huana quests, too, with the Principi working with the Roparu and the Watershaper's Guild. 

• Like 1

For me, it would give me my only reason to pick Raider so I throw my lot in with Deadfire Raider.

Yeah my slave PC only really had dialogue dealing with the slavers and Skaen had a comment I think. Otherwise it didn't really come up.