How are people winning ship bounties on POTD? I am getting a flogging

Before the Figurines got nerfed I just summoned a wall of summons to act as a buffer then i had my casters buff and debuff

But your alter ego liked the nerf: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103609-to-the-person-at-obsidian-who-made-the-decision-to-nerf-figurines/

;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

How do you win the ship combat then?

What is the best way with all the turning, jibing, firing cannons ect?

I found it best to use long range cannons. Stay 450-600m away from the enemy and fire a volley. Since you’re broadside, use “full speed ahead” to gain a dodge bonus so enemy return fire doesn’t hit you, making sure to stop moving before your cannons reload for an accuracy bonus. If you’re using a faster ship, then jibe instead and fire a second volley, then full speed ahead for the bonus.

Once you get a junk/galleon I found it best to slap on double bronzers on one side and long range cannons on the other. If the enemy is closer to you, basically one volley with the double bronzers will end the fight. If they are at a distance, then use the same strat as above.

If you’d still prefer to board the enemy. Weaken their crew with grapeshot before boarding to make the fight easier.

Edited by anathanielh
  • Like 1

The basic approach is:

Get in range of your cannons with Full Sail

Turn to board or starboard

Hold Position (increases ACC a lot)

Fire cannons

Jibe

Hold Position

Fire

Jibe

...and so on

• Like 1

Where can you find the alternate ammo for your ship guns? Never saw any in my last playthrough... also does it work with any cannon or is it more specialized?

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Where can you find the alternate ammo for your ship guns? Never saw any in my last playthrough... also does it work with any cannon or is it more specialized?

When you choose to "fire the __ cannons", at the bottom of the layout of your ship is a drop-down menu. It will probably say "Cannonball" for you. Click it, and you can select 2 other types. If you're attacking ships with gun decks, know that enemy gunners are injured by cannonballs, not the ammunition that targets abovedecks.

Which alternate ammo? You mean Grapeshot/Cannonball/Chainshot? You don't need to buy special ammo - you just buy "universal" cannonballs and can then decide what to use before each shot.

You can pick them on the same UI window where you manage the cannons.

Edited by Boeroer

All you need is cannonballs unless you want to make it harder for yourself.

Chainshot kills sails but killing sails doesn't get you anything except for more return fire and more damage to your ship.

Grapeshot for killing the crew is also just in case you want them to suffer before you sink them. Maybe you can kill off their gunners and stop any return fire but its a sure thing if you just sink them.

I wish the ship combat was better and involved 2D positioning, facings and all that but its not. The epitome of naval combat is 'close with full sail, turn to port or starboard, hold, fire, jibe, hold, fire, …… until thye are sunk.

All you need is cannonballs unless you want to make it harder for yourself.

Chainshot kills sails but killing sails doesn't get you anything except for more return fire and more damage to your ship.

Grapeshot for killing the crew is also just in case you want them to suffer before you sink them. Maybe you can kill off their gunners and stop any return fire but its a sure thing if you just sink them.

I wish the ship combat was better and involved 2D positioning, facings and all that but its not. The epitome of naval combat is 'close with full sail, turn to port or starboard, hold, fire, jibe, hold, fire, …… until thye are sunk.

Destroying the sails prevents turning/jibe and full sail. That means you will cut in half their damage (and if you destroy their sails while they're advancing they won't be able to fire at all) and prevent them from boarding you (or flee if you stay close to max range). (Rathuns will always board you if you don't destroy their sails, while the others will try to board/flee if they take too much damage).

Using grapeshot is useless if they have a surgeon because the injured crew will be healed back over and over again (however rathun ship don't have surgeons and grapeshot is effective vs them once you have destroyed their sails).

Of course, if you have a junk full with double bronzers you can destroy most ships in a single turn (but even then it's safer to destroy the sails with the first salvo and then destroy their ship).

• Like 1

For actual chance at boarding, equip everyone with Large Shields and turn on their modal. It should let you ignore the firearms until you cast critical spells such as Chill Fog, AOE Robust thingy from druid or similar damage reducing abilities.

Position your tank on the chokepoint and spam some AOE CC around him, while your melee DD and/or Ranged DD deals with ranged baddies.

Some ships also have stairs which offer limited cover against ranged weapons, i always position my healer there.

In the first (tougher) fights it went always better if I destroyed the sails first. Later on, when my equipment, my rank and the number of my gunports will surpass enemy ships I don't bother of course. 

The enemy seems to have the faster reloading cannon, not double bronzers, so they can reload and fire just as fast from one side without the jibing that the double bronzers require. So due to this I found no reduction in enemy fire from removing their sails to prevent jibing. Granted I did this but a few times and then went back to just sinking them.

Hopefully they redesign the entire ship combat and add that in a future DLC. I'm OK with being a Pirate but I'd like to have some fun ship combat.

Which alternate ammo? You mean Grapeshot/Cannonball/Chainshot? You don't need to buy special ammo - you just buy "universal" cannonballs and can then decide what to use before each shot.

Don't you have to buy them someplace first? I have never seen them for sale

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Don't you have to buy them someplace first? I have never seen them for sale

You don’t. Just select the ammo you want to use when you fire. You only need cannonballs (The universal ammo)

• Like 1