Beast of Winter is a Pretty Solid DLC [minimal spoilers]

I really liked the direction Obsidian went with this DLC - while the Harbinger village and temple content were pretty much standard fare, the various levels of the Beyond were some of their best artistic work yet and the additions to the lore/worldbuilding (especially the callbacks to PoE1) were a really nice surprise.

The combat was adequately challenging on PotD with level scaling and a level 20 party, although there were a few semi-trash mobs/repeat fights that felt like they were meant to pad the experience a little bit. The optional 2nd boss fight was also a little too easy, although it probably would've been just right for a lvl 15-16 party (as recommended) with the same settings. Other than that, it was absolutely worth the 10 bucks - here's hoping the other DLCs are of similar quality, because they're off to a solid start so far.

Oh, one exception: Vatnir. He wasn't bad per se, but I didn't find him particularly interesting/likeable (aside from the very cool physical character design) and wound up wishing that I had taken another companion through the DLC instead as he didn't really add much. It's also hard to get invested in sidekicks generally when you know they won't have much interactivity later on, so one or two more full companions would be really nice to see in the next round of content.

Really nice work, though; I thoroughly enjoyed it  :) 

• Like 15

So far I'm really enjoying it, but I'm purposefully taking it slow so I can take in the wonderful visuals. Deadfire has always impressed me with fantastic lighting in the maps (It's one of the reasons I love to carry  xoti and her lamp around in dark areas) and this DLC so far has really shown just how beautiful the game can be.

• Like 2

I haven’t really played yet (I’ll probably wait until all three DLCs are out for my next completionist playthrough) but I did try the Priest of Rymrgand subclass (thanks, Unity Console.)

Its high-level uniques are pretty good—especially Call of Rymrgand, which is essentially Pull of Eora plus damage and shortening of beneficial effect duration. I expect I’ll want Vatnir around for those, if anything.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The soulbounds seem to require a LOT of investment. Get 100 afflictions?! If I get 5 per fight that's still 20 fights. Are there 20 fights in the whole DLC? I've cleaned out the entire base game apart from Ukaizo and any faction fights I'd get after choosing my side. Still, there's two more DLCs to go, one with a heavy combat focus, plus they're adding more bosses, so I'm sure I'll get there. Giving Aloth the shield and letting him take a pummelling is a lot of fun.

Regarding sidekicks, I don't mind an overall lack of reactivity but if I'm taking someone to Ukaizo they'd better have something to say. I think none of the existing sidekicks do, and I don't know about Vatnir

• Like 2

So far I'm really enjoying it, but I'm purposefully taking it slow so I can take in the wonderful visuals. Deadfire has always impressed me with fantastic lighting in the maps (It's one of the reasons I love to carry  xoti and her lamp around in dark areas) and this DLC so far has really shown just how beautiful the game can be.

I haven't reached the island yet, as I have a couple quests I need to finish up, but I just had to say that you touched on one of the things that impress's me the most about Deadfire:  the real time lighting & shadows.  It's just so impressive, and makes Deadfire so much more immersive as a world.  Xoti's lantern really shows off these affects in dark areas, with shadows of your party moving along the walls.

• Like 5

The soulbounds seem to require a LOT of investment. Get 100 afflictions?! If I get 5 per fight that's still 20 fights. Are there 20 fights in the whole DLC? I've cleaned out the entire base game apart from Ukaizo and any faction fights I'd get after choosing my side. Still, there's two more DLCs to go, one with a heavy combat focus, plus they're adding more bosses, so I'm sure I'll get there. Giving Aloth the shield and letting him take a pummelling is a lot of fun.

Regarding sidekicks, I don't mind an overall lack of reactivity but if I'm taking someone to Ukaizo they'd better have something to say. I think none of the existing sidekicks do, and I don't know about Vatnir

It's worth noting that having a full sidekick party in the DLC content will squeeze out new, interesting parts from them in the dialogue.  A few examples are Ydwin pondering the soul, Rekke is reminded of his haunting past, and Vatnir with the obvious Rymgrand connection.  Don't expect them going into full exposition about their lives, but it's definitely some sorely needed reactivity when partying with sidekicks.  

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 3

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

I agree that Vatnir is also a bit of a wasted opportunity.  He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but he could use a full story in the DLC not just a few lines.  I hope they add at least one companion in the DLCs, preferably two.  My wife hates Xoti, and the returning characters have less room to grow, because they already grew.  The DLC has some fun moments for Eder.  I'll take Xoti and Takehu next, because I suspect  they'll have some cool stuff to say.

I cheesed this through wall of colors.  You can either do it out of combat or in combat with something easy.  It took about 20 minutes to do.  The items are pretty cool though.  I have Eder decked out with a frost shield and frost scimitar.

• Like 2

I agree that Vatnir is also a bit of a wasted opportunity.  He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but he could use a full story in the DLC not just a few lines.  I hope they add at least one companion in the DLCs, preferably two.  My wife hates Xoti, and the returning characters have less room to grow, because they already grew.  The DLC has some fun moments for Eder.  I'll take Xoti and Takehu next, because I suspect  they'll have some cool stuff to say.

I cheesed this through wall of colors.  You can either do it out of combat or in combat with something easy.  It took about 20 minutes to do.  The items are pretty cool though.  I have Eder decked out with a frost shield and frost scimitar.

and dlc also have ice mace

though sidekick turn full companion are the most popular idea

but if even vatnir are sidekick than new companion or sidekick upgrade are unlikely

Edited by uuuhhii

Quick thoughts:

Good:

New content

New slot use (trinkets)

Less pirates

OK:

Most items are average (Deck of OK Things... am I missing the good stuff?)

Some potions and trinkets seem OP

Problem solving is a bit tedious with lots of backtracking and gates

Bad:

Not enough boss monsters

Not enough new types of monsters

Need more open environments... every map is a habitrail of tunnels and gates

Overall: B work

The combat is disappointed. They still add more copy-paste trash in POTD, not the more powerful enemy.

There was some of that to be sure, but some of the new enemy types were fun to fight and the game had, what, 3 boss encounters? 

"Messenger", Dragon, Beast of Winter

They're also adding 4 new "Mega bosses" as free DLC between now and the end of the year, so that might be up your alley :)

• Like 3

Honestly, I don't think Eder really have much content in DLC, he only just some few dialogue with Waidwen and he doesn't talk Waidwen about Woden. Also, There is something wrong about companion reputation in BoW. When I blame Waidwen and Eothas since They attacked Dyrwood, then I get anti-eothasians from Mayor Eder.

Man they should've made Ydwin, or at least Vatnir a full companion with their own companion quests outside BoW. Plus, I hate how they give an option to

sacrifice Ydwin

in the end. You don't get the option to do that to anyone else... This just shows how little regard the devs have for that character :/

Edited by Sanjid099

I hate how they give an option to

sacrifice Ydwin

in the end. You don't get the option to do that to anyone else... This just shows how little regard the devs have for that character :/

wait what? where could you sacrifice her? i took her with me didn't get anything like that. also i don't think that the devs dislike her, if anything they gave her a lot of lines in this dlc because the players liked her a lot. 

I hate how they give an option to

sacrifice Ydwin

wait what? where could you sacrifice her? i took her with me didn't get anything like that. also i don't think that the devs dislike her, if anything they gave her a lot of lines in this dlc because the players liked her a lot. 

If you killed dragon as Rymg request, he still tries to screw you over: pledge yourself to him, he will plant his bell in you or he fights you. Or you can trade Yidwin or the new sidekick for your freedom.

Overall, yeah. great DLC. I like that it should gel really well with main game. Even though its sidecontent the stories found within fleshout places and characters which are relevant to the main plot, strenghning main game, not distracting from it. Good stuff. I found Beyond content in base game somewhat disappointing. That makes up for it.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 4

Really hate all those high level skill checks that are main character only. Why can i not ask a diplomat like pellengrina to convince the brewer that adding caustic poison is a bad idea, or let a priest with high religion skill get me lore background for certain checks. Makes no sense and took all the joy from the DLC for me. Stopped playing at the gate when yet another main character only check prevented me from finding out more about the frozen guy there, despite my party standing right next to me with all the necessary skills and stats.

Combat is fine, some great animations, interesting culture & setting etc. So, potentially great but currently too frustrating for me.

Edited by pstone

Really hate all those high level skill checks that are main character only. Why can i not ask a diplomat like pellengrina to convince the brewer that adding caustic poison is a bad idea, or let a priest with high religion skill get me lore background for certain checks. Makes no sense and took all the joy from the DLC for me. Stopped playing at the gate when yet another main character only check prevented me from finding out more about the frozen guy there, despite my party standing right next to me with all the necessary skills and stats.

Combat is fine, some great animations, interesting culture & setting etc. So, potentially great but currently too frustrating for me.

I'm very sure those checks were not Watcher-only for me, at least not all. I specifically remember boosting Tekehu's religion skill with drugs to pass the check. So I guess at least party assist must have worked.

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

yes

the godhammer one and frozen ironclad one doesn't make sense

I'm very sure those checks were not Watcher-only for me, at least not all. I specifically remember boosting Tekehu's religion skill with drugs to pass the check. So I guess at least party assist must have worked.

Party assist does indeed work, but if my main character has 3 religion then party assist from a member with religion 20 only pushes it to 10, 2 more from consumables but still not enough for the very high skill requirements. Don't really understand why the checks cannot be made by other party members here, especially since it works just fine outside the DLC.

E.g. make a strength check to pry loose the armor. My main char has str 8, but another has str 18 (with equipment) - yet only the main character is allowed to try (and fail). It wouldn't be so frustrating if the game didn't have the option to use the party normally, but only the DLC has this strange restriction.