The core of the problem: you are a pirate

As stated many times already, there is nothing forcing you to be a pirate. In fact my Watcher would best be described as the Scourge of all Pirates. Like seriously there are a lot of dead pirates around deadfire now.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the setting. I did NOT enjoy having to sail around everywhere, constantly engaging in the "ship warfare" mini-game, and the overall game play this offered. I prefer a more classic medieval world, but that's just me. All that said, I knew exactly what kind of world I was entering when I bought POE2. It wasn't exactly a secret.

True, i guess.

Well, but i hope now that Obsidian will be satisfyed.

They get to play with ships and big bad pirates, in a setting that strongly remind us of " Pirates of the Carribean ". (We only need Jack Sparrow and his ship...)

That said, now that Obsidian is satisfyed, i strongly hope that in the future things will be more classic.

I do really hope a PoE 3 closer to its roots.

More similar to Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity 1.

Let's leave these strange settings and mechanics (like moving around various isles on a ship, for a whole game) for another time.

As stated many times already, there is nothing forcing you to be a pirate. In fact my Watcher would best be described as the Scourge of all Pirates. Like seriously there are a lot of dead pirates around deadfire now.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the setting. I did NOT enjoy having to sail around everywhere, constantly engaging in the "ship warfare" mini-game, and the overall game play this offered. I prefer a more classic medieval world, but that's just me. All that said, I knew exactly what kind of world I was entering when I bought POE2. It wasn't exactly a secret.

True, i guess.

Well, but i hope now that Obsidian will be satisfyed.

They get to play with ships and big bad pirates, in a setting that strongly remind us of " Pirates of the Carribean ". (We only need Jack Sparrow and his ship...)

That said, now that Obsidian is satisfyed, i strongly hope that in the future things will be more classic.

I do really hope a PoE 3 closer to its roots.

More similar to Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity 1.

Let's leave these strange settings and mechanics (like moving around various isles on a ship, for a whole game) for another time.

Well, since the allure of pirates went away for me at about the age of six, I didn't find a roleplaying game set in the a fictional counterpart of the Caribbean circa 1700 all that impressive. It's a fun game nonetheless, don't get me wrong, I just find pirates to be a bit - meh. Going by the usual trajectory, tough, Pillars 3 will be set somewhere with a lot of snow. Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Night and so on...

But then again, it might just be set in a desert to get around convention.  :yes:

I'd rather that PoE 3 took place somewhere unusual, like the White that Wends or that place Rekke is from. I'd settle for Rauatai in a pinch.

If I wanted the classic DnD game feel, I'd play BG2 or Icewind Dale. Interesting original settings is about the only thing that makes PoE stand out against older, arguably better games

Am I a pirate? Let's see what my current Watcher and the characters I'm planning to play later think:

- Clever/Shady Assassin: "Me, a pirate? Come on! What? I'm serious. I'm telling you, I'm not a pirate. Why we are attacking another ship? What are you talking about? They attacked us first."

- Priest of Berath: "What? A pirate?! Are you crazy? My goddess gave me a mission. And I need money. It's just that."

- Benevolent/Honest/Diplomatic character: "Oh no, we forgot to change the flag again! Let's get closer to explain it... Ok, too late, they are firing. Turn to starboard!"

Jokes apart, my priest of Berath will side with Rauatai and be consistent with that. And my Benevolent character will only go after evil people that have a bounty on their head.

sign.jpg

Jokes apart, my priest of Berath will side with Rauatai and be consistent with that. And my Benevolent character will only go after evil people that have a bounty on their head.

Off topic, but why Rauatai for a priest of Berath? The Huana seem far more respectful and dedicated to her eel incarnation, their bounty guy even gives you the bounties in her name. Huana culture needs some changes but that's what Berath's all about and you can be the impetus of better change withing their own society without the almost Galawain-style of strong supplementing the weaker. Still, it probably wouldn't matter in the end to a Berathian anyway. The wheel turns regardless.

I felt the same way about this game. I feel like they ram the pirate theme down your throat a bit too much. There is nothing about pirates which I find interesting in any way, regardless of how they are portrayed in pop culture. That and several other reasons, I decide not to play this game. I did not particularly like it and quit about half way through. It just didn't appeal to me. Each to their own.

Off topic, but why Rauatai for a priest of Berath? The Huana seem far more respectful and dedicated to her eel incarnation, their bounty guy even gives you the bounties in her name. Huana culture needs some changes but that's what Berath's all about and you can be the impetus of better change withing their own society without the almost Galawain-style of strong supplementing the weaker. Still, it probably wouldn't matter in the end to a Berathian anyway. The wheel turns regardless.

Because the character I'm planning is also lawful and militaristic. I think he will prefer siding with Rauatai.

Also, my current watcher is siding with the Principi and I'll leave the Vailians for my benevolent/pro animancy character from poe1. So, between the Huana and Rauatai, despite what you said, I prefer Rauatai. Oh, and in the end of the game they have a

submarine

sign.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i can finally say that i was wrong.

Even if probably i was misled because the game strongly, and i really mean it, strongly advice you to play as a pirate because the quests, rewards and roleplay is huge.

But you are not forced to be a pirate.

In fact, my Watcher now as now is a declared menace to Slavers. If she see a slaver ship, she is going to kill (not sink, i like classical battles, not naval ones) each slaver on the ship.

• Like 2

I have just one thing to say.

Random events while traveling on the endless sea are good, but in my humble opinion...

the one about your crew wanting to know more about you, their captain, should happen early.

I got it only now, after mapping more than half of the map.

But that is not a critic, just a tought i had.

Edited by Matteo89.b
  • Like 2

Random events while traveling on the endless sea are good, but in my humble opinion...

the one about your crew wanting to know more about you, their captain, should happen early.

Agreed

• 4 weeks later...

Mine came much earlier. I was going straight to Rekke and I had the event near the place where he is. Do we know what triggers the event?

Edit: I explored just a little near Port Maje and then went to Rekke's location.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I viewed myself more as a explorer / privateer, than a pirate.

The only ships I purposefully attacked were slavers.  

That's one thing I don't like about the sea battles, though.  You can't capture prisoners, or free slaves.

I'd find it "just" to sell the former slavers into slavery, after defeating them.

Otherwise, I was happy to sail around and explore.

I just outran any pirate that turned my way - though I could have easily defeated them.

Though, speaking of keeping the crew happy ... it's amazing how well they can do their duties, and fight, when they are constantly drunk.  LOL

• Like 1

I viewed myself more as a explorer / privateer, than a pirate.

The only ships I purposefully attacked were slavers.  

That's one thing I don't like about the sea battles, though.  You can't capture prisoners, or free slaves.

I'd find it "just" to sell the former slavers into slavery, after defeating them.

Otherwise, I was happy to sail around and explore.

I just outran any pirate that turned my way - though I could have easily defeated them.

Though, speaking of keeping the crew happy ... it's amazing how well they can do their duties, and fight, when they are constantly drunk.  LOL

My watcher is a pirate, but I still want it to make sense when I attack someone. So, I would frequently try a different flag and "forget" to change it back. That way I can fight even the Principi and I can pretend the companions won't complain.

"Come on Pallegina! We were doing a quest for the RDC, that's why we displayed their flag! Unfortunately the VTC ship wouldn't let us explain..." Silly, I know. :p

In future pts I may actually have to find a reason to attack other ships. My benevolent character will probably hunt pirates and be attack by the factions I don't support, but she won't attack the Vailians.

My stoic/rational will side with the RDC and he will attack everyone except his allies. And he will be a terrible captain (I want to see the mutiny). :biggrin:

sign.jpg

Plenty was said already in this thread, from what I see.

So I will only say that I rather belong to those with never really felt being forced to be a pirate.

Well, yes, I can agree, that there is obviously strong presence of piracy along the Archipelago. And the Principi are the faction with is presented very early to the player.

But I don't know how this could force us to be a pirate. 

Just personal opinion on the subject. ;)

Best wishes to all! :)

I kinda view it like real life. If you assault someone and take their stuff the payoff will be high, doesn't mean its legal and you should do it. Granted ofc the rules of the game are not as harsh as reality - you are not sent to jail and/or given death sentence, you don't stand trial. Still the feature is there and you have a choice whether to make use of it or not. Plus, as have been mentioned before, you are given freedom to make yourself whatever you want - pirate, privateer, bounty hunter, pacifist captain etc.

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do?