Is it possible to pick up the Priest of Ryrmgand (Vatnir) early in the game?

It's a shame you can't just pick him up at the beginning. This would have made sense RPG-wise, as you receive his letter right away as well.

On a sidenote, I find it ironic that a lot of the monster you meet are resistant to many of his spells. The Priest of Rymrgand relies heavily on cold damage, while a lot of monsters (naturally) in that geography have cold resistance... For this reason, I would love to take him away to warmer lands asap. :-D

"Plague Host":  When he is Bloodied or Near Death, he gives off a Foe Area of Effect that causes Sickness.

This synergizes well with his outfit, which IIRC grants extra speed the lower his health is. If we could reliably trigger a DoT on him, he would get both benefits.

Call of Rymrgand is like Pull of Eora 2.0; a very good spell.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It's a shame you can't just pick him up at the beginning. This would have made sense RPG-wise, as you receive his letter right away as well.

On a sidenote, I find it ironic that a lot of the monster you meet are resistant to many of his spells. The Priest of Rymrgand relies heavily on cold damage, while a lot of monsters (naturally) in that geography have cold resistance... For this reason, I would love to take him away to warmer lands asap. :-D

And I want to take him home, make him a big bowl of chicken soup, top it with a pint of grog and tell him everything's gonna be alright. That idle pose of his is so pitiable; it would be in character for Rymrgand to give him perma-flu on top of everything else.

Anyway, I loved this DLC quite a lot, unfortunately  will have to postpone consequent play-throughs -- not only current weather is ruining muh immersion (except for that one level, you know which  :biggrin:), it is also not helping with my CPU overheating-by-Deadfire problem.

• Like 1

There is a super cheesy way to get him early, as early as level 6-7, even on POTD with level scaling. Combine rogue raw damage over time from Gouge Eye (think it is called that) with Sworn enemy DOT. Wait, drink tea, make sure to to kill the Risen Champion, profit.

• Like 1