Recommend me an RPG

I've been gaming for two decades and like to think I've figured out what I want out of an RPG. I seem to have depleted the selection that fits my criteria, however. I'm posting here hoping to be proven wrong. Without further ado...

- Medieval. Swords, spells. Not modern, not post-apocalyptic, not sci-fi. Arcanum=too modern.

- Not a total dungeon crawler like Diablo, but I still want to focus mostly on combat rather than choosing among myriad responses in dialogue.

- Single player. And not the "Well, I guess that would be technically possible, but..." kind of single player. ;)

- Controlling a small party of heroes in top-down view.

- Isometric if the alternative is lego graphics 3D. Actually, isometric regardless.

Dislikes

- Complete RTS aspects. I don't mind - I even like - the stronghold of PoE1 for example, but I don't want to manage income, buildings and little minions in real-time.

- Turn-based combat, though it's not a definite no.

- Lack of scaling for spellcasters. I want to throw bigger fireballs, not just more fireballs.

- Ported games. I have bad experience with games that weren't designed for PC firsthand, for example I tend to feel there's a lot of functionality needlessly missing because the game wasn't originally made to be played with a keyboard available.

All the games I feel I should mention here:

Pillars of Eternity: Interesting party combat and it's isometric! <3

Baldur's Gate: Let's just say I have fond memories of it. Today if I fire it up I realize I'd rather play PoE instead because I feel it's the game's spiritual successor. But I could say that despite its age, I do not take issue with its graphics.

Icewind Dale: Like BG but not as good since it's a bit too dungy-crawly.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne orc campaign: A small squad of heroes with a few abilities each. It's really enjoyable; would crowdfund spiritual successor immediately. And believe me, I've exhausted the selection of custom WC3 maps on the internet.

Heroes of Might and Magic IV: Somewhat like this when I run around with a team of only seven heroes and utilize magic cleverly to win battles.

Now for the games I'd rather not touch...

NWN: the painfully evident square grid, unattractive 3D and perhaps just third edition combat rules don't do it at all for me.

Sword Coast Legends: I dubbed this game Dungeons and Diablo because it came with too many absurdities like "teach your wizard to wear heavy armor so they have more options available to them for stacking crazy cooldown reduction so you can perma-CC monsters".

Tyranny: I binged hard on this for a few months but the story didn't really do it for me (Kyros is childish; doesn't get what they want = EDICT!!!1), minmaxing was a little too annoying to pull off and bugs didn't get fixed fast enough for my liking.

DOS 2: Picked it up very recently but combat feels too slow for me and I have big time issues with the camera, even after modding it.

I want y'all to know I have on many occasions tried to solve this myself. I am certainly not asking out of laziness. ^^

P.S. I've long been curious about the arguments for and against isometric as opposed to 3D from a game developer perspective. Because there are too many 3D RPG's that look like total trash and a pannable camera doesn't redeem them.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

try Expeditions: Vikings I loved it and its more combat oriented than talky RPG

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Ever tried Dragon's Dogma: Dark arisen? It's a dark age setting with a heavy focus on combat, has one of the best combat systems and skill development that I've seen, and the companion AI is brilliant when set up well. Bad points would be that it isn't isometric (third-person view), and that you don't directly control your companions, though the AI is amazing with a few tweaks. No need (or even possibility) to micro companions once set up.

It's a JRPG though, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Over-the-top story and combat are included, and while the story's better than I expected, it still focuses mostly on combat and exploration, with a few role-play opportunities. Also audible in the great soundtrack.

The world's interesting enough to explore it on your own, and combat's amazing. Very notable freedom of movement, including climbing large enemies to reach weak spots: no need to repeatedly stab a giant's toe to take him down, though it 's still possible.

Some examples:

- Climbing a landed dragon to stab his heart, and hanging on as it takes flight

- Casting a literal tornado at a group of enemies (less fun when aimed at you)

- Having a ranger pawn snipe a cyclops' eye from across the battlefield without player intervention, or a strider pawn climb up to its eye all on his own

- getting one-hit killed by death because you were stupid enough to try and parry its scythe

- generally being terrified at night at lower levels

I second the recommendation Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. It has everything you're looking for except it's not isometric.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Not an isometric crpg but have you tried Hero U?! I've seen that game get a lot of positive feedback, especially on these boards.

There is also 'Nox' which is quite an epic game and fits most of the criteria you have mentioned. You can only find it on GOG tho.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

drakensang 1 & 2  -  not isometric crpg but you can change the camera angle anytime you want but most importantly it's more like "true medieval fantasy setting" than the typical dark and gritty setting you see in most crpgs (POE, POE2, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age).  

prince of qin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

try Expeditions: Vikings I loved it and its more combat oriented than talky RPG

I second this. It's a fantastic CRPG with great combat and a decent amount of choice & consequences.  Decent story / dialogue though combat is the main focus.  And even if you're not crazy about turn-based combat, the combat in this game is pretty fast paced.

Also, have you tried Masquerada: Songs and Shadows?  I haven't played this myself but it's a fairly recent released isometric RTwP / party based RPG.  Steam reviews are "very positive". I believe the setting is inspired by Renaissance (not sure if that's "too modern" but it doesn't look like there are firearms or anything)

Edited by daveyd

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all around for the suggestions. I have looked into each of them, but nothing caught my interest well enough. Except, of course the upcoming Pathfinder: Kingmaker game, though I already knew about that ^^

With four days to go, I can feel the hype building. While hype is not entertainment, it is the expectation thereof, and it shall keep me for the time being.

My Deadfire mods

71zRk%2B-abBL._SX425_.jpg

This went over my head. Is it a meme? :p

My Deadfire mods