I don't think that they don't proc off of themselves now. Patch notes say it, but I have my doubts. With Spirit Lance, big AoE and thus lots of enemies hit I still get endless chain reactions that pulverize the whole mob from time to time.

Yes, the AoE crits of Spirit Lance also trigger the refund of Stunning Surge. Atm the refund works in a way that you get 2 resource for every crit, so usually you get more than you spend up until your max mortification.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think the patch mentiones Full Attacks and says that the second (offhand) attack will not add additional mortification if you crit with it as well. So I don't know how they fixed that: working on the Full Attack mechanic so that it will not refund twice or working on the refund mechanic itself so that it can't refund more than your mortification was before using Stunning Surge. :) Given Obsidian's history of patching with PoE I guess the first, hehe. :p

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

But Stunning Surge refund behavior is supposed to be corrected in 2.0 (will only refund skill cost, that is 2 Mortification).

The wording only mentions DW, would be interested to see if it also applies to AoE weapons.

Edit: Beat me to it!

Edited by thundercleese

I think the patch mentiones Full Attacks and says that the second (offhand) attack will not add additional mortification if you crit with it as well. So I don't know how they fixed that: working on the Full Attack mechanic so that it will not refund twice or working on the refund mechanic itself so that it can't refund more than your mortification was before using Stunning Surge. :) Given Obsidian's history of patching with PoE I guess the first, hehe. :p

Wouldn't mind that solution for my dual mortars :D

Now I will get toasted because I most likely caused a nerf. :p

Maybe, but a nice build has been up since mid July on Fextralife and I have just tweaked the details for me and am just about to try it out. So, I hope not!

https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-builds-guide-sage/

-T

That build already got a nerf.

Shattered Pillar only gains wounds from auto attacks now. So most of the spamming is gone (But it is still pretty great when all is said and done).

Now I will get toasted because I most likely caused a nerf. :p

Maybe, but a nice build has been up since mid July on Fextralife and I have just tweaked the details for me and am just about to try it out. So, I hope not!

https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-builds-guide-sage/

-T

That build already got a nerf.

Shattered Pillar only gains wounds from auto attacks now. So most of the spamming is gone (But it is still pretty great when all is said and done).

Thanks, didn't know that, but I still think Shattered Pillar isn't a bad choice here. I'll still try it out, looks fun and for some reason I have always liked pikes, even in POE1. Both pikes and spear and shield, it's an ascetic thing I guess.

-T

-Toadbat

POE II Class Builds: Siren

POE II Guides: Naval Combat

I can post them tonight when I’m home from work.

Going by memory, there’s the 2H sword from the QA stream and a 2H battle axe (yeah, it’s pretty cool.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Battle Axe prof, if memory serves.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Battle Axe prof, if memory serves.

It's explicitly a Battle Axe rather than a Pollaxe that simply looks like a Battle Axe, so I'd expect so.

I was somewhat surprised how few additional weapons there are in the expansion, although I only took a brief look last night so perhaps I missed some. That said, they are pretty cool so I'm not too bothered.

I had the exact same impression. Not many new items but those that are there are actually pretty cool.

Those two are the only 2handers. There are other weapons (mace, shield etc.). The double-sided axe is indeed a Battle Axe with the base damage and speed of a great sword/pollaxe but the proficiency of Battle Axes (Bleeding Cut). A bit like Abydon's Hammer was.

I like that some weapon types can get one- and two handed versions. I could also imagine a two handed flail. Others like maces, spears or swords have a fitting two-handed weapon type (morning star, pike, great sword) when they become too big, but weapons like flails, war hammers, battle axes, clubs and sabres have not, so it's cool to introduce some variation.   

My understanding is that historically, the flails that actually saw use as combat weapons in Europe were two-handed flails, and while there might have been the occasional, very rare flail like we see in rpgs, mostly they’re an invention of later ages. Actually I really hate the typical rpg flail, because how would you actually use it? It’s probably an okay implement for performance, but extremely dangerous to yourself and your companions on the battlefield.

This isn’t adding much to the discussion, but I had to grab the opportunity to complain about flails.

To be more on topic, the twin eels sword looks pretty good if you can get a lot of kills with it. The hit to crit seems like 1% per point of religion, which is not so great, but the heal is not bad and applies over a good area and the resurrect is cool. I’m not sure what the best build to use it is, though.

?

You can find one-handed flails in a lot of historical museums. They surely have been used and had their uses. It's very hard to parry a flail, even with the edge of a shield since it always comes around. And if you are wearing plate armor you do not need to care about self hits - if your enemies are lightly armored guys they are doomed.

But the chain was almost never so long that you could hit your own hand.

It was most likely a sidearm - like swords as well.

However - there are no new flails in BoW as far as I remember.

I’m not an arms historian, and the people who put the flails in museums are. But I’ve read that there’s a good chance most of them were created later or weren’t made for the battlefield. In European martial arts treatises there is a surviving work on the use of the two-handed flail, but nothing on the types of flails we see in Deadfire.

Flails and flail like weapons certainly were used in Europe and elsewhere. But they were also almost always rare or exotic and mostly used for demonstrations of skill than as reliable weapons, like the meteor hammer in China.

Maybe I’ll try an arcane knight with that sword. I wonder if the wizard’s phantoms can be revived by it or proc the heal on kill.

Heal on kill: I guess so. From my tests with Essential Phantom I think that the phantom gets an 1:1 copy of your items, including weapons (with enchantments). So it should proc on kill. Reviving is not possible because summons don't go unconcious but simply vanish. They don't proc effects on KO - like the Effigy's Husk has and don't leave an instance that can be a target for revive.  

Edited by Boeroer

Maybe I’ll try an arcane knight with that sword. I wonder if the wizard’s phantoms can be revived by it or proc the heal on kill.

Heal on kill: I guess so. From my tests with Essential Phantom I think that the phantom gets an 1:1 copy of your items, including weapons (with enchantments). So it should proc on kill. Reviving is not possible because summons don't go unconcious but simply vanish. They don't proc effects on KO - like the Effigy's Husk has and don't leave an instance that can be a target for revive.

Do phantom trigger item special that proc on unconscious when get killed?

Edited by dunehunter