Not necessarily a priest, but some form of sustain (either a rejuvenation druid, a priest, or something like high athletics/scrolls/potions) is what I would highly recommend.

Priests and druids take a while to get truly powerful heals, but once you’re there, your sustain is very powerful.

Items and scrolls just let everybody heal themselves and each other, provided you have arcana for scrolls and don’t forget to use items.

Honestly, the best way to not die is to just properly manage your team in battles, whether you have a healer or not. Make sure that tank is tanking right, make sure you take out priority targets (priests, spellcasters, enemy Ranged/Melee dps), keep up with the buffs/debuffs, and keep an eye on your party’s armor/penetration (heavy armor is your friend early in the game, even on rogues n spellybois)

Edited by anathanielh
  • Like 2

Priest is not a must but I'd say it certainly helped me. I made Xoti a Priest/Monk, she started the battles with buffs and then joined the fray.

She had the second most kills after super-crit Cipher/Rogue main, similar to Aloth. Pallegina and Eder had each ~100 fewer kills.

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

You don't need a priest, and what's more, I don't even want a priest in my parties. So I'm not just saying you'll be fine without one, from my perspective you're better off without one :p

I don't think they completely suck or anything, but with five slots I have no room for one, not even as a multiclass.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

You don't need a priest, and what's more, I don't even want a priest in my parties. So I'm not just saying you'll be fine without one, from my perspective you're better off without one :p

I don't think they completely suck or anything, but with five slots I have no room for one, not even as a multiclass.

What tactics do you use to stay alive then? Do you use healing scrolls/ potions? And your playing on potd hey?

So your saying you dont use any party buffs at all from priests/ druids?

Dont get me wrong I completely hear what you are saying. Priests appear to be very underwhelming with me most of there party buffs doing very little or not much at all at best. Problem is there is no other class who can do what they do. Druids can do similar but they are quite underwhelming aswel

And yeah with only 5 party members know it is very hard to find room for a priest

Edited by Teclis23

I play on PotD. I have a fetish for mass paladins, so there's a lot of Lay on Hands available. Also at least one is multiclassed to a chanter (=herald) so there's Exalted Endurance + Ancient Memory going around constantly healing the group. It's a pretty popular multiclass, I think. Tanky and healy.

I use no priests, no druids and no scrolls either. Though the latter only because I don't need to.

My parties tend to be based on outlasting and while priests and druids can help with that they run out of steam too fast for my liking.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I run PotD and my only resources healing: Pallegina Lay of Hands with Ancient Memory and Second Winds. I dotn think we need too much more.

This is very much true, priests fill the role of a buff caster. Healing is mostly obsolete by having a paladin in group.

Pallegina with +50% heal chant and expert healer talent heals 3hp per ancient memory tick, another 9 with her aura active and that's basically all you need to survive on PotD. Anything above is extra, occasional heal from gaun's pledge when needed etc.

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

I have Deadly Deadfire and Deadfire Tweaks mods, so I have Xoti as a Templar (paladin/priest of eothas), letting her fulfill the role of healer/buffboi, but letting her tank and pick up some of the more damaging priest spells (priest offense spells are stronk as fk)

As I said earlier, though, just manage your party well and you’ll do fine, healer or not.