[Backer Rewards] Physical Reward Updates

So i dont know if its just me but is it normal that my package WONT be delivered to my door ( at the request of the Shipper ), I have to pick it up at the post office. I will also have to pay COD as well, what was the point of paying shipping??? :banghead::verymad::down:

I got to pay COD as well in the email I received from the postal service today.

Count me down as a third; sent an inquiry to support at Obsidian, a day ago.  No response yet.

paying more than double what I've already paid for shipping through the campaign pledge strikes me as either a gross underestimation of the actual shipping costs of the final product  (in which case, that extra cost should have been absorbed by the company making that promise), or at the VERY least communicating that the costs we've already paid were more in the way of a downpayment on shipping, rather than an accurate final total.

Not impressed with the way this whole fulfillment promise has been handled, to be honest.  I have yet to see the actual package so I can't comment on what condition it'll be in, but I'm definitely going to wait before buying another Obsidian product.  And backing?  I think that's a thing of the past, frankly.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Like 1

Count me down as a third; sent an inquiry to support at Obsidian, a day ago.  No response yet.

paying more than double what I've already paid for shipping through the campaign pledge strikes me as either a gross underestimation of the actual shipping costs of the final product  (in which case, that extra cost should have been absorbed by the company making that promise), or at the VERY least communicating that the costs we've already paid were more in the way of a downpayment on shipping, rather than an accurate final total.

Not impressed with the way this whole fulfillment promise has been handled, to be honest.  I have yet to see the actual package so I can't comment on what condition it'll be in, but I'm definitely going to wait before buying another Obsidian product.  And backing?  I think that's a thing of the past, frankly.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Seems strange. I didn't have to pay COD.

So i dont know if its just me but is it normal that my package WONT be delivered to my door ( at the request of the Shipper ), I have to pick it up at the post office. I will also have to pay COD as well, what was the point of paying shipping??? :banghead::verymad::down:

I got to pay COD as well in the email I received from the postal service today.

Yeah all of this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Lesson learned. if i'm ever unsure again i'll try to inform myself better, if possible, or just not bother at all and spend my money elsewhere.

I do live in Canada. So i'm thinking maybe its import fees? Unless you do as well in which case i'm baffled.

Hi everyone! I've been responding to these as they fall into my lap in the support queue, but yes, these are duties and fees related to imports. We tried to mitigate this somewhat by moving keeping our distribution warehouses in areas with the highest number of backers (also why I've been adamant about finding another distributor in the EU after the first one fell through), but the shipping fees we charged could not have any customs or duties included in our quoted shipping costs due to the complexity of each country's laws relating to customs fees. I wish we could have factored these into the shipping fees we presented to you, but we simply had no way of knowing how each combination of items would be charged for each of the countries we were shipping to - especially since a lot of these items were still being created at the time. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

I made the calculation and the cash on delivery would be less or more equals to custom fees. Anyway, I went to fetch it today and nothing was broken (yeah!).

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I do live in Canada. So i'm thinking maybe its import fees? Unless you do as well in which case i'm baffled.

I'm in Canada, yes.

I suppose my ultimate gripe here is with the presentation/wording.  To my mind, that pledge on the backer page is a contract.  I pay X, they deliver on Y and Z.  That's the contract.  The contract included a shipping charge, so that's what I paid.  They don't get to rewrite that contract without my consent -- it was a mutually agreed upon contract, after all, with two parties signing off (they when they took my money, I when I paid it) -- but that's what they did.  And not just WTR shipping, too; my description of the product I bought included a physical copy of the game.  I got a code card instead.  It's a well-made card, but still just a card.  It is by no means the physical copy of the game that I ponied up for.

Now, I'm happy enough with the game (I've played it to completion once, and begun a few more times with different characters, and fully plan on playing more when the updates have settled and the DLC is complete, and I know I'll be even more impressed with the game than I was the first time around) that I'm not going to DO anything about it, but again... what else do the words "physical copy of the game" mean other than a disk or a flash drive or something physical that you plug into your system to install the game?  The words "breach of contract" kind of leap to mind on this one, so to Obsidian, I would just say that watching your language when putting together your offers is absolutely critical.  I'm no lawyer, but changing the terms and conditions of contracts you've already accepted payment for... well, is not a best practice in business, let's just say.  Tends to foster mistrust, and justifiably.

Incidentally, I'm quite happy with the product I received.  I don't require the physical disks (though I can easily see how others would), and everything arrived in pristine condition. 

My order status on the backer portal still says "Shipping Soon" so imagine my surprise to find my CE at my doorstep when I got home just now. Fortunately everything seems to be present and intact, so no complaints here.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Box arrived. Game, Guide and Statue all in perfect condition! The CE box contents are wonderfully packaged to ensure no movement or damage.

Apart from the missing physical game, there also seems be be another item missing. The 8x10 Concept Art Print is not there. That's not cool! I had plans for that! Where is it?

My collector's edition came in today, and I'm really happy with the quality of everything. Really excited to place have all the stuff on display.

My only concern is that I never seemed to get the painted minis despite being on the invoice along with the collector's edition box, the guidebook, and the t-shirts. Who would I have to contact about fixing this and getting the minis?

It's confusing more than anything. Why have a boxed collector's edition without a copy of the game in?? It's just a nice box with the Pillars Of Eternity 2 logo on it! I've got no problem with it being a digital-only game, but if it is then why make a box?!

People want the “big box” to put on their game shelf next to their old Infinity Engine games (in similar packaging). See: mattchat

No. I just wanted the statue. They should have offered a tier without the wasted chromecase that has no game in it, but still included a statue. I feel like I overpaid for a plastic statue and a guidebook.

It's confusing more than anything. Why have a boxed collector's edition without a copy of the game in?? It's just a nice box with the Pillars Of Eternity 2 logo on it! I've got no problem with it being a digital-only game, but if it is then why make a box?!

People want the “big box” to put on their game shelf next to their old Infinity Engine games (in similar packaging). See: mattchat

No. I just wanted the statue. They should have offered a tier without the wasted chromecase that has no game in it, but still included a statue. I feel like I overpaid for a plastic statue and a guidebook.

You didn't "pay" for anything. You backed a project and received a reward commensurate with your support. That's how crowdfunding works.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

My collector's edition came in today, and I'm really happy with the quality of everything. Really excited to place have all the stuff on display.

My only concern is that I never seemed to get the painted minis despite being on the invoice along with the collector's edition box, the guidebook, and the t-shirts. Who would I have to contact about fixing this and getting the minis?

Hey Cynrical! Please reach out to us at support@obsidian.net and I'll get you settled!

Cryocore, that's an awesome and obviously lovingly curated collection - people at the office have some crazy collections too, but yours is definitely up there. Thanks for sharing, and I'm making sure you're getting sorted.

This is the RPG Big Box and CE shelf (with POE2!)

Out of interest, how long did it take to arrive at your place from when it was shipped out? It looks like I have exactly the same as you (box + statue + etc) and we are in the same country.

It's the first time I have encountered this "Aftership" tracking system and this is what mine currently says below. "International Processing" started 4 days ago.

• Aug 24, 2018
    12:00 pm
    Enroute to International Processing HubRRD International Logistics U.S.A
    US
  • Aug 22, 2018
    01:00 pm
    Exported to International Processing HubsRRD International Logistics U.S.A
    US
  • Aug 21, 2018
    04:30 pm
    Parcel received in outbound hub for processingRRD International Logistics U.S.A
    US
  • Aug 20, 2018
    09:49 am
    Parcel Data ReceivedRRD International Logistics U.S.A
  • Aug 17, 2018
    11:39 pm
    In transit to Final Mile Carrier tracking #: RRD00000000000000000000 International Logistics U.S.A
  • Aug 17, 2018
    11:38 pm
    Parcel ShippedRRD International Logistics U.S.A
    Itasca IL
  • Aug 17, 2018
    08:50 pm
    In transit to Final Mile Carrier tracking #: RRD0000000000000000 International Logistics U.S.A

You didn't "pay" for anything. You backed a project and received a reward commensurate with your support. That's how crowdfunding works.
people really do seem to get the wrong end of the stick with these things. Like that one person in some thread who heard you get a plushie if you back at $500 and said "for $500 it better be made of solid gold" or something. Like the plushie doesn't cost $500, the idea is that they're putting at least some of the money(all of it if you're a digital backer) into making the actual game

I've seen some others mention their disappointment with the miniatures and I just want to reiterate them. They are of such poor quality and detail I can tell you I wouldn't put them out on a table I would play in or DM. Even the paint job was very poor. I'm going to try to strip them of their paint and see what I can do with them, but it's a real let down as a finished product.

Which is a shame, I was really looking forward to using them.

Keep your expectations low if you strip them. A lot of the detail seems to be painted on, not part of the miniatures themselves. I'm guessing they're pretty blank under the paint.

This is the RPG Big Box and CE shelf (with POE2!)

Out of interest, how long did it take to arrive at your place from when it was shipped out? It looks like I have exactly the same as you (box + statue + etc) and we are in the same country.

It's the first time I have encountered this "Aftership" tracking system and this is what mine currently says below. "International Processing" started 4 days ago.

• Aug 24, 2018
    US
  • Aug 22, 2018
    01:00 pm
    US
  • Aug 21, 2018
    04:30 pm
    US
  • Aug 20, 2018
    09:49 am
  • Aug 17, 2018
    11:39 pm
    In transit to Final Mile Carrier tracking #: RRD00000000000000000000 International Logistics U.S.A
  • Aug 17, 2018
    11:38 pm
    Itasca IL
  • Aug 17, 2018
    In transit to Final Mile Carrier tracking #: RRD0000000000000000 International Logistics U.S.A

Here is my breakdown

Aug 29, 2018
06:52 am
Delivered RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 29, 2018
05:01 am
With courier for delivery RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 28, 2018
02:24 pm
International arrival RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 28, 2018
02:24 pm
In transit to local depot RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 27, 2018
Processed at International Processing HubRRD International Logistics U.S.A
NZ

Aug 24, 2018
12:34 pm
Arrived International Transport HubRRD International Logistics U.S.A
NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Enroute Delay - Air Transportation DelayRRD International Logistics U.S.A
HK

Aug 18, 2018
US

Aug 17, 2018
US

Aug 15, 2018
05:19 pm
US

Aug 15, 2018
10:22 am

Aug 14, 2018
07:54 pm
In transit to Final Mile Carrier tracking #: RRD07564037412392RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 14, 2018
07:53 pm
Itasca IL

Aug 14, 2018
07:15 pm
E-File UploadedRRD International Logistics U.S.A
Itasca IL

Aug 14, 2018
Parcel ReceivedRRD International Logistics U.S.A
Itasca IL

• Aug 24, 2018
    US
  • Aug 17, 2018

Here is my breakdown

Aug 29, 2018
06:52 am
Delivered RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 29, 2018
05:01 am
With courier for delivery RRD International Logistics U.S.A

Aug 14, 2018
Parcel ReceivedRRD International Logistics U.S.A
Itasca IL

Thanks! It looks like your order was processed 3 days before mine so I should be expecting mine any day now.

It took a while, but I'm liking my signed collectors edition.  The statue is detailed and of good quality relative to other game statues and figures like this. The t-shirt, space pig plushie etc are also nice.  I'm happy with them :)

Pillars_me_with_statue.jpg

• Like 6

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Please, spare me. I am well aware of how crowdfunding works and the concept behind it. I am figuring in the fact that there should indeed be overhead when I look at how much money I committed to that project. I am also looking at the relative value of the goods I received, both compared to their actual retail value (you can buy the guidebook, AND the game), and compared to other similar merchandise.

In so comparing, it is quite easy to get an approximate retail cash value of the rewards received, and compare that with other similar expenditures.

Long story short, they could have had just as much funding for their game by charging me less, and skipping the chromecase and just sending me the game manual and trinkets inside. Less swag to make, less swag to send, lower the total tier cost a little, and bam! done deal!

I have every right as a backer to be unsatisfied with SOME of what I received, more importantly the deceptive nature in which it was couched originally. And you have zero right to stand between me and those who can hear such complaints as some kind of white knight. Obsidian is a big boy, they can handle the criticism.

Got my collectors edition today. Everything was in perfect condition including the statue etc. The collectors edition box is very nice and I like how the layers work with everything nicely contained. Guidebook is great quality. Cloth map is okay, not amazing though. My statue looks like the put a little bit much of the grey paint on it but still okay. All in all very happy with the finished product.

Thanks obsidian.

I have every right as a backer to be unsatisfied with SOME of what I received, more importantly the deceptive nature in which it was couched originally. And you have zero right to stand between me and those who can hear such complaints as some kind of white knight. Obsidian is a big boy, they can handle the criticism.

Yeah, you sure do. Just like you have every right to respond to posts that don't have anything to do with you, to be confused about how crowdfunding works, and to move the goalpost when someone calls you on it. You also have the right to confuse that with white knighting and/or censorship.

Congratulations?

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."