Let's try again. Priest of Woedica and Steel Garrote as playable classes. DO IT!

So my recent Sanguine Plate campaign made pretty clear how much Obsidian are keen on player feedback. I was/am very passionate about that armor, I requested it here and on Reddit, and next thing I know they're looking into it for a future DLC.

While I'm still high on the state of elation this put me into, I thought, why not try this again?

Allow me to present exhibit A, from this transcript of the 7th Q&A session with Josh Sawyer:

You mentioned in a previous Q&A that a Priest and Paladin of Woedica will potentially be in the game. Have you come to a decision on this? You mentioned previously that you were going to check the design notes

JS: Unfortunately, no. I wouldn't say that we would not add that in the future, but when we looked at all the stuff that was necessary to go into implementing those Woedican classes, and all the work that we had to do for the rest of the stuff, we just said like, you know what, we have more than enough work, let's just settle down for now and focus on the other stuff. It does make sense, though, like having a Priest of Woedica or a Steel Garrote Paladin as a player character class is something that makes sense, it seems like a cool inclusion, but there's so much stuff to do that we had to pass on it.

Since the game's release, nothing more's been said on these classes—and now that the Beast of Winter is about to be released, I believe we ought to let Obsidian know we still wish we could have them (provided that's the case) if we're to have any hope it'll happen.

So who's with me? Who else would like the Priest of Woedica and Steel Garrote Paladin subclasses to become available to the Watcher with all due in-game reactivity? :)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 8

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Me! The Spiritual Fists for the Woedican Priest are already enough to make my mouth so watery that I can only wipe it dry with a charsheet of a playable version of a Priest of Woedica!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm down for specialized positions I just wonder at what point it's worth it from a role playing or simple playing perspective. I mean I like playing as a Mindstalker because that's my jive folks but I'm unsure if making things more complex is always good.

Yes! We have no bananas.

I'm down for specialized positions I just wonder at what point it's worth it from a role playing or simple playing perspective. I mean I like playing as a Mindstalker because that's my jive folks but I'm unsure if making things more complex is always good.

Todd Howard has arrived, quickly throw him off a cliff!

• Like 4

Done it ;)

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Because fun :D

• Like 2

Does anyone have a list of the number of times each Paladin order or Priesthood comes up during interactions in Deadfire? If the concern is the amount of work to make sure there is parity with the other options in terms of interactions, it would be interesting to see what the scope for implementation would be.

Of course, I don’t see what’s stopping the developers from making those classes available for custom adventurers in the next major patch after 2.0. Plus, players that made certain choices during the end of PoE could justifiably receive a discount for recruiting such custom adventurers.

Does anyone have a list of the number of times each Paladin order or Priesthood comes up during interactions in Deadfire?

I think this should do.

I'd expect a Watcher who belongs to the Steel Garrote or Priesthood of Woedica to have special interactions with the goddess herself when summoned by Berath, as well as with other members of the Priesthood/Paladinhood when they meet (possibly leading to a different path to the quest's resolution.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

Let's whet people's appetite in case they didn't know these classes are actually already in the game.

It's worth noting that none of these class-specific abilities has a description, so providing these options to the player would also require that they be written.

The ability "Garrote" effectively replaces Lay on Hands, but it would make sense for it to have its own separate, unique icon.

Steel Garrote

dvdscXu.png

Ogc1HGQ.png

Priest of Woedica

UjkuyMo.png

SE3GCU6.png

2MNJKjs.png

Ss39I4G.png

ktAtMzj.png

KjY7Kpn.png

3GcF4N9.png

It's also worth noting that the Writ of Sorcery is possibly too powerful for a PL VII spell if given to the player—and I say that against the best interest of my inner powergamer. It would probably make sense to swap it with the Writ of Mending, which is currently PL IX, so that only pure-class Priests of Woedica could get it.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 5

I'm agree with the purpose of the post so +1

Just note that with a mod we can already use the hidden classes and those are available with no issues , but for sure if the OBS would add them officially to the game they will be able to add much more than modders :)

Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/44

Here a more updated version with some missing description strings added (also ITA)

https://mega.nz/#!yh5H2L7C!-3Qs1QdQqQhUk6n2-S37DNgGOATns-cMkxufuQtMICU

credits to Balkoth56

Edited by kilay
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a list of the number of times each Paladin order or Priesthood comes up during interactions in Deadfire?

I think this should do.

I'd expect a Watcher who belongs to the Steel Garrote or Priesthood of Woedica to have special interactions with the goddess herself when summoned by Berath, as well as with other members of the Priesthood/Paladinhood when they meet (possibly leading to a different path to the quest's resolution.)

Great. So the minimum numbers are three for paladins (Kind Wayfarer, unless you count the one that’s already in there for the Steel Garrote), and six for priests (Skaen). I also don’t see why there couldn’t be overlap between Steel Garrote and Priest of Woedica interactions due to their mutual connection with Woedica.

So hypothetically, for full interactivity on par with the base game, the developers could conceivably get away with six shared interactions for both subclasses. Add in writing descriptions for the class abilities, a few passes on the dialogue, QA, and piggybacking in the VO sessions for DLC 2 or DLC 3, and it seems pretty doable, especially if there is a nice overlapping hook with Woedica in DLC 2 or DLC 3.

• Like 1

No thanks

So many classes only have 3 kit options like rogue and ranger I feel they are more deserving of extra love. Priest and Paladin already get 5 options if I'm not mistaken.

I get what you mean, but priest and paladin subclassses (and monks I guess) tend to define a character a lot more than the other classes. You can build a whole roleplaying experience on their beliefs.

• Like 1