I have been scouring the webspace for information on how Recall Agony, a cypher active ability works. It says it re-applied 30% of the damage done to target, but I find it nowhere being applied.  Is there a bug, is it not being applied at all?  Is it a hidden damage calculated on the background but not shown on the logs? 

Does anyone has any info on this?

I have been scouring the webspace for information on how Recall Agony, a cypher active ability works. It says it re-applied 30% of the damage done to target, but I find it nowhere being applied. Is there a bug, is it not being applied at all? Is it a hidden damage calculated on the background but not shown on the logs?

It's damage is not seen in the log, but there should be red numbers popping above enemy head.

I haven't tested the spell in Deadfire. But guess it works the same as in PoE1.

Basically it checks every 3s how much damage the target has taken during this 3s period, and inflicts 30% of the amount as direct damage. Because it's direct - it doesn't appear in the log and doesn't trigger various onHit effects.

In PoE1, Recall Agony was working with DoTs (at least in v3.0.+ you could see Disintegration ticking for 40,12,40,12 and so on). And RA coefficient was also affected by Might.

@arkane83, in PoE1 Recall Agony wasn't triggering Combusting Wounds, but the damage from Combusting Wounds (once they were fixed) was taken into account by Recall Agony.

Edited by MaxQuest

I have been scouring the webspace for information on how Recall Agony, a cypher active ability works. It says it re-applied 30% of the damage done to target, but I find it nowhere being applied. Is there a bug, is it not being applied at all? Is it a hidden damage calculated on the background but not shown on the logs?

It's damage is not seen in the log, but there should be red numbers popping above enemy head.

I haven't tested the spell in Deadfire. But guess it works the same as in PoE1.

Basically it checks every 3s how much damage the target has taken during this 3s period, and inflicts 30% of the amount as direct damage. Because it's direct - it doesn't appear in the log and doesn't trigger various onHit effects.

In PoE1, Recall Agony was working with DoTs (at least in v3.0.+ you could see Disintegration ticking for 40,12,40,12 and so on). And RA coefficient was also affected by Might.

@arkane83, in PoE1 Recall Agony wasn't triggering Combusting Wounds, but the damage from Combusting Wounds (once they were fixed) was taken into account by Recall Agony.

Recall agony is probably alot more powerful in Deadfire now that they have removed the Damage Reduction mechanic then? Would you agree?

Seems like a very powerful and often overlooked spell.

It is cool and overlooked (also because its mechanics are obscured) - but it's single target only and in the end it "only" adds 30% to damage. It's like giving everybody who hits that enemy a 30% lash for all damage. That's pretty awesome against bosses and other "hard to kill" single targets - but still I think in most cases you can spend your focus more efficiently. I never checked if it stacks on an enemy in any way though (from one or different ciphers). That would possibly lead to a loop - so I guess not.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Recall agony is probably alot more powerful in Deadfire now that they have removed the Damage Reduction mechanic then? Would you agree?

Hmm, I actually don't see it as being more powerful due to DR->AR change.

In PoE1 if a character would inflict 100 post-DR damage, Recall Agony will deal 30 dmg.

In Deadfire if a character would inflict 100 post-AR damge, Recall Agony will deal 30 dmg.

(provided that RA caster had 10 MIG)

So, same thing, no?

I actually found Recall Agony less useful in Deadfire so far, because I didn't met really sturdy bosses vs which I would need it.

Seems like a very powerful and often overlooked spell.

It's biggest use is in party with limited burst dps vs really high-hp bosses, vs which you can risk running out of spells/resources if the team composition lacks steady dps.

It is cool and overlooked (also because its mechanics are obscured) - but it's single target only and in the end it "only" adds 30% to damage. It's like giving everybody who hits that enemy a 30% lash for all damage. That's pretty awesome against bosses and other "hard to kill" single targets - but still I think in most cases you can spend your focus more efficiently.

Exactly.

Since gaining focus is currently not a problem (not to mention that there is little incentive to take other subclasses over ascendant), cipher casts most efficient powers without looking much at their cost. And here a question arises: do I

- increase the damage 1 target takes by 30% (for 15s) - which accounts for like 300 dmg if the target has 1k hp; or 60 dmg if the target has 200 hp

- cast Amplified Wave and deal 80-100 damage to everyone in AoE

- or try to apply Disintegration (which can deal 240 - 1000+ dmg depending on stats and hit/crit)

I never checked if it stacks on an enemy in any way though (from one or different ciphers). That would possibly lead to a loop - so I guess not.

Iirc casting Recall Agony on a target already affected by it was overwriting the previous effect if the new instance had longer duration.

But it's better to retest this.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2