So I just downloaded the game (life happened and I've been busy) and i decided to have a look around to see what was available for magic weapons so i could make sure my character would have some OK end game gear, or if something cool caught my eye and helped me come up with a new idea for a character.

Anyway the list of unique weapons (witch are the only magic weapons now?) seemed a little limited in both verity and effect.

So i was wondering, now that they seem to have removed the ability to upgrade generic gear with things like burning lash ect, if there was any kind of generic magic weapons that turn up in the game, like at level 5 or whatever i have a X% chance of finding a Fine Burning sword in a chest or something (and hopeful upgrade it at least a bit?).

If you cant tell the the fact that you could end the first game without being forced to use an item that was out of character for your character, and still be reasonably strong(or at least strong enough), was something I found really cool in the first game.

The way you could become a weapon and have it keep up, more or less, with your character really made their sword seem like THEIR sword, like Thor's Mjölnir, King Arthur's Excalibur, Inuyasha's Tessaiga or frankly any hero's weapon that became a much a part of their story as the hero themselves.

You can still enchant gear, but it's limited to unique weapons and armor. But those you can bring up to legendary status by yourself - and they have special unique enchantment "trees".

So you can still grab a low level weapon and armor and use it until the end. It just needs to be unique.

You can also pick up a soulbound one. With the altered enchantment system they are finally on par with enchanted gear while they treat investment of money vs. investment of time.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

is this list complete, or atleast completeish.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/List_of_unique_weapons_(Deadfire)

If so it seems that there is a fairly limited selection of enchantments, although a large selection of items.

For example I only found one fire enchantment in the melee weapons, were as in the first game every weapon type had the ability to have each elemental enchantment and i think one other as well.

Also, thanks for the quick reply

Rheios

"And the biggest loss of the ability to self enchant basic items was that now, without as much of the unique variation (there's almost 2 of every one, depending, but certain characters may just not make the right decisions/find them), you're often stuck with a basic lash-less/target-less weapon if you try and dual wield say - battleaxes. (Whether for rp or jut cosmetic appearance of some weapons).  I mean, that's a contrived example for a me, but the point remains that in the old system if one of the particular uniques/soulbounds didn't work for you, you could just make your own. You'd miss out on some cool unqiue stuff, so you almost never wanted to - until you *did* and then in Deadfire its sorely missed. But maybe that's just me."

Apparently there is already a post on this subject going on.

So crap, I was hoping I had missed something, this really sucks for for dual wielding characters or any character that wanted to try something weird.

The list is complete but the wiki doesn't cover all enchantments.

I was one of the guys who heavily opposed the new enchantment restrictions. But after playing Deadfire I'd say it's not so bad. Removing lashes for everybody actually means that Soulbounds, fists and summoned weapons can be as good as uniques which opens up some more varieties.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Fair points on the summoned weapons, (witch i admittedly I don't really like, I'd rather have a cool real virtual weapon instead of a cool virtual virtual weapon, i'm a materialist like that) and monk fists, (witch I always found kinda meh) but i thought that soulbound weapons with their progressive growth based on achievements rather than deliberate chosen upgrades(as in generic enchantments or generic enchantments added to unique items) had a nice niche.

• Like 1

I suppose what my problem is, and i don"t think I'm getting across very well is this:

in the first game I could create a character that strongly identified with, say a poleaxe, I could pick abilities and accessories that would complement two handed weapon style, or crush damage, or slash damage, and i would be assured that I would have a weapon that was, if not great, than at least acceptable, to bring to the final boss fight, that would work with the abilities and items that had, over the course of the game, become a part of my characters identity.

Instead I feel that I'm being forced to either: play part way through the game and realize that  my chosen weapon type is not supported into the endgame, or having to radically redesign my character's play style to accommodate the only endgame capable version of the weapon i chose(all unknowing and innocent) at the beginning of the game.

I Guess its just being forced to use a single end weapon for any character that uses the same(non sword because there is at least lots of those) weapon type no mater how different the character or their fighting style is, after having so much more choice in the previous game, just, kinda... sucks.

I suppose what my problem is, and i don"t think I'm getting across very well is this:

in the first game I could create a character that strongly identified with, say a poleaxe, I could pick abilities and accessories that would complement two handed weapon style, or crush damage, or slash damage, and i would be assured that I would have a weapon that was, if not great, than at least acceptable, to bring to the final boss fight, that would work with the abilities and items that had, over the course of the game, become a part of my characters identity.

Instead I feel that I'm being forced to either: play part way through the game and realize that  my chosen weapon type is not supported into the endgame, or having to radically redesign my character's play style to accommodate the only endgame capable version of the weapon i chose(all unknowing and innocent) at the beginning of the game.

I Guess its just being forced to use a single end weapon for any character that uses the same(non sword because there is at least lots of those) weapon type no mater how different the character or their fighting style is, after having so much more choice in the previous game, just, kinda... sucks.

To be fair, every unique weapon is viable into the endgame (although some are definitely better than others), and there is at least one decent unique weapon of every type.

I'd rather have a cool real virtual weapon instead of a cool virtual virtual weapon, i'm a materialist like that)

I snrk'd

Edited by gkathellar

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

The list is complete but the wiki doesn't cover all enchantments.

This. I manually input a lot of the information on Weapons and Armour on the Wiki but ran out of steam before I started doing the enchantment upgrades. Ideally I think every individual enchantment page should have a list of possible upgrades, and the weapon pages themselves should have a summary of the options as well.

I was one of the guys who heavily opposed the new enchantment restrictions. But after playing Deadfire I'd say it's not so bad. Removing lashes for everybody actually means that Soulbounds, fists and summoned weapons can be as good as uniques which opens up some more varieties.

Agreed. My main concern was when Obsidian said (pre-release) weapons would only be able to have their quality enchantment (fine, exceptional, superb etc.) upgraded once, so a fine unique weapon would never be better than exceptional. However they obviously changed their mind about this, and the resulting system is, imho, great.

This highly depended on your choice of weapon in PoE1. If you chose morningstars then you'd have very few options (none of them particularly good) until very late in the game, similarly for quarterstaffs. It didn't have a great spread of weapons (particularly before the release of WM1+2)

I'll agree however that Deadfire currently has a very bad spread of weapon types. There are loads of swords of all varieties, but things like clubs are in short supply.

Edited by JerekKruger