Beta Patch 2.0 is live...and so far it looks more like a 1.5

https://steamcommunity.com/games/560130/announcements/detail/1721949565416612105

Aside from the 2 god challenges, there don't seem to be any significant balance/gameplay improvements outside of bug fixes. You'd think the differences would be at least as significant as previous patches given that this was supposed to be a major version iteration, but so far this reminds me more of a bughunt + free minor dlc than a serious gameplay patch. That's by no means a bad thing and maybe I've been spoiled by previous patches and improvements, but I'm really hoping we'll see some more class and PotD tuning before August 2. 

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 2

Hmm... disappointed with those initial Magran's Fires challenge ideas. The old inclusions are fine, of course. But the new ones? Seems more and more that the designers aren't interested in creating a combat system that has strategic/tactical depth. And so instead we get some twitchy gameplay challenge? I don't think that's what people are looking for in these kinds of RPG's. It's not what these kinds of games do well. If I want that, I'll play something like Dark Souls, which is built around that.

• Like 3

Yeah, Berath's challenge is ok but the Magran one is basically just about optimizing party AI and automating fights as much as possible.

A rest-limiting challenge would be nice (once every 24 hours, restricted locations, etc). So would a reduced XP challenge or something... but I know for a fact that I'm not going to voluntarily take the WP out of RTWP. It's just not that kind of game.

And where are the "balance improvements" that the patch notes make reference to? Self immolation is still a suicide button, single class ciphers and assassins still need help, weapon styles are still unbalanced, and PotD's difficulty still drops off a cliff after around level 12.

Also, I just tested 2.0 and enemies are still becoming unkillable/untargetable in combat, a bug that has been plaguing this game since launch. I'm still a fan of Deadfire and am sure it's going to be truly stellar once it reaches its final state, but I'd like to start my second playthrough already.

Edited by Purudaya
  • Like 5

Has the new item enchantment UI made it in for 2.0?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Has the new item enchantment UI made it in for 2.0?

It doesn't appear so. The ability to view your character's ability tree outside of level up doesn't seem to have made it either. Granted, it's just the beta, but release is a week away and I doubt they're going to drop new UI features between now and then. 

^ Brandon did mention the ability tree one in the stream, though; said it’s being actively looked into for a future update.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't get that one. The UI is there (you can most likely open it with the console). Can't they just add a simple button to the char sheet that opens it?

Also: why can't I see my [current engagements/max engagement slots] in the char sheet or somewhere else?

• Like 16

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Outside of bugfixes nothing exciting. I would love if they could extend the keyword tags to all abilities (even martial ones) and add more items that boost them for builds. Waiting for more infos on trinkets and if they really change anything.

None of the new challenges appeal to me, not my playstyle. Was hoping for some rest stuff ext... but realtime only or the 6sec dead stuff not for me.

• Like 1

I suppose that they working only on DLC balance and don't interesting in re-balancing existed things :D

They can't re-balance existed stuff in new DLC, so no class re-balancing coming in near future, maybe after 2 - 3 months ... pretty sad, but at least they gave us some basic modding support

The challenges (beside Berath) also look very strange, removing pause from CRPG :D Maybe will be better make game start after 5 million "Skip Intro" button clicks - this will be real challenge

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Magran's Challenge looks totally useless. It's not wacky fun, it's not tactical, and it's something you could really really easily do already (e.g. map the pause button to something obscure). It's a bit of a joke.

I don't necessarily need massive rebalancing every patch, so for me it's ok as long as this isn't the end of patching.

• Like 4

And where are the "balance improvements" that the patch notes make reference to? Self immolation is still a suicide button, single class ciphers and assassins still need help, weapon styles are still unbalanced, and PotD's difficulty still drops off a cliff after around level 12.

I'm especially disappointed by the lack of balancing and PotD tuning, I've been putting off finishing my 2 concurrent playthroughs and haven't touched the game in over a month. It's just as you said, after hitting level 12 or so practically every fight is a blowout. No tactics needed, AI just wipes out the encounter in seconds. That's around half the game on the highest difficulty offering little to no challenge. No point in playing. This should be addressed before or at least along any major DLC release.

Edited by GuyNice
  • Like 2

I'm especially disappointed by the lack of balancing and PotD tuning, I've been putting off finishing my 2 concurrent playthroughs and haven't touched the game in over a month. It's just as you said, after hitting level 12 or so practically every fight is a blowout. No tactics needed, AI just wipes out the encounter in seconds. That's around half the game on the highest difficulty offering little to no challenge. No point in playing. This should be addressed before or at least along any major DLC release.

You are free to install Deadly Deadfire anytime you want to.

Single-class Ciphers are extremely strong after the recent buff patch.

Self immolation surprised the hell out of me, but it is actually fun to design a build around surviving the activation of this ability :D

:banghead:  I'll resume playing in december with the 3 DLC released.

I hope until then they fix the lack of difficulty at medium-high levels.

It would be nice that at least one dev could drop some words here in the forums about their balance plans.

• Like 1

I find their DLC plan a bit weird. I mean we aren't in a MMO were you have month of leveling. People who already bought the game have finished it (multiple time possible) or have put it aside waiting for bug fix and balance. The second categorie like futur buyer will certainly wait now full release of all DLC to enjoy a 'full' game experience.

When we consider overall difficulty problem, why release new content that isn't destined to 20+ characters? In white march, if you're going to new content too early game become really easy because of the new loot, i'm afraid BoW will have same problem. I think creating high end difficult new content perhaps more interesting to keep the player base interested? People who want more story content... will certainly wait for all content to be released to experience full story.

Level scaling? it fail to create interesting challenge. You need more tailored challenge/encounters, not just raw power. It's really where I find open world & power leveling don't work well together. Auto leveling & leveling 'cancel' each other. Why not just design a game around abilities & gears where the raw power increase is 'tamed' and it's the new tactical options of abilities that help you to win challenges.

Now, perhaps like for white march the dlc will have some new high level encounters/area included.

• Like 1

Sacred Immolation isn't that bad: if I use Voidward, cast Sacred Immolation and then put Greater Lay on Hands on me I barely lose 88 health after all (at lvl 20 - no special healing bonuses).

Singing Her Courage Thick as Steel also helps a lot. With Brisk Recitation it will take away 10 damage of each pulse away. Then my paladin only loses 47 health.

With Courage, Physiker's Belt and Practiced Healer I lose 30 health overall. 

Other damage reductions that mention "incoming weapon damage" (like on Nerian's Ward) don't work against the self damage. Maybe others that don't use that restriction work?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Magran's Challenge looks totally useless. It's not wacky fun, it's not tactical, and it's something you could really really easily do already (e.g. map the pause button to something obscure). It's a bit of a joke.

Magran's Challenges are for bragging rights, just like the difficult achievements were in Pillars 1. If you just remap pause key that doesn't give you any bragging rights.

Sacred Immolation isn't that bad: if I use Voidward, cast Sacred Immolation and then put Greater Lay on Hands on me I barely lose 88 health after all (at lvl 20 - no special healing bonuses).

Singing Her Courage Thick as Steel also helps a lot. With Brisk Recitation it will take away 10 damage of each pulse away. Then my paladin only loses 47 health.

With Courage, Physiker's Belt and Practiced Healer I lose 30 health overall.

Other damage reductions that mention "incoming weapon damage" (like on Nerian's Ward) don't work against the self damage. Maybe others that don't use that restriction work?

If my character wanna suicide, he has better way than suicide immolation.

Edited by dunehunter