How is it to live in your country?

LuccA

Since there are people from all over the world here, I think that's an interesting discussion to have.

1- What country do you live in? What are the things you like/dislike about it (e.g: economy, culture, lack of security, lack of freedom etc.)

2- What country would you prefer to live in? Why?

And maybe if you live in a country someone else would like to live in, convince him to do so... or not to do so.

Edited by LuccA
  • Like 4

1) I live in the USA. I like being able to rolfstomp any other country on the planet but I dislike our rampant social media and the squealers within.

2) I would prefer to live in any "Western" country with a climate that doesnt vary too much from 72-75 degrees. My wife and I have been considering just saying "F-it", cashing out our retirement plans, selling our house, and buying a crib in Mexico near the resort areas. I just need to figure out property taxes and medical / dental.

• Like 2

1- What country do you live in?

The USA, West Coast. Main attraction is fairly temperate weather (where I live anyway) and the easy commutes to many different environments. I prefer to stick to the Western USA.

2- What country would you prefer to live in? Why?

Some other countries sound interesting on paper for various reasons, but (for me) unless I've spent several months (or more) in any such country, I don't think I could state some kind of specific preference. eg. 2 week vacations aren't enough to go by.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like being able to rolfstomp any other country on the planet.

As long as that country doesn't have nuclear weapons and you're not hanging around to occupy it, I suppose. :p

Canada is okay, is a nice place to live even if the people labour under some delusions about themselves and obsess about the idiotic sport that is hockey :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I live in the USA. i like it fine. There is a lot that is positive about this country. There is a hell of a lot that could be improved also. We call ourselves the "land of the free" but we're really not. Maybe more so than we have been in the past. More than a lot of other places in some things. But we're still falling well short of that slogan.

I've worked and lived briefly in a few other places. Mexico. Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, and Kuwait (sort of. Not the best time to see it). I really like RoK. The folks I met were really nice. Japan is way too busy for me. Mexico, eh, Hermosillo & Monterrey were nice. Nuevo Laredo & Juarez not so much. I was in the PI after the damned volcano so I didn't see much of it.

One country I am fascinated with is Iceland. Beautiful place, sparse population, stable economy, tons of outdoor activities. Sounds like my kind of place.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I live in the northern states of the Americas, born and raised here actually, yep, yes indeedy. Yes indeedly-do. It's pretty great, we have all types of people and some states are just plain better than others. Where I live, English is not the native tongue so I had to adapt to speak english quickly as it is the universal language in the states.

I get to travel somewhat still when the occasion arises. If I could live in another country, maybe Egypt or India.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I live in the beautiful Pacific NW of the USA and I like it just fine, even with the rain. If for some reason I was forced to live in another country, I'd probably try for Canada since they're generally nice, polite folk and their west coast is just as beautiful as it is here.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

BTW, which country looks most like Skyrim do you think? New Zealand? Iceland? Scotland? The US & Canadian Rockies?

Edit: Alaska & the Canadian NWT. Yeah, that's gotta be it. It has every climate.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What country do you live in?

Iran/Tehran. I like the district I live in(3rd-قیطریه) and have gotten used to it over the years. I like the nature here in Tehran but the problem is that Tehran is a city that was meant for a population of 4 million, not 9. As a result, it has turned into a very busy and dirty city...I still like it though. It is also pretty expensive to live here and the recent events in politics have made things worse.

2.Which country would you prefer to live in?

Well, my father was a diplomat so I got to live in:

-London(1989-1992)

-Vienna(1996-2000)

-Frankfurt am Main(2003-2007)

I also went back to Vienna as a student and lived there from 2008 to 2011. I was born in Cuba/Havana in 1984. My parents stayed there from 1982 to 1986 so that is another 2 years there which I can't remember much of.

Countries I have visited:

-Italy(Venice, Florence, Bologna, Rome). It was awesome! That was back in 1997...good times. They just have very bad pizzas for some reason.

-Hungary: I flew a ****ing Kyte!

-Czech Republic: Prague is beautiful.

-France: Paris is exactly as pretty as they say it is.

-Belgium: I can't remember much as I was too busy looking at their wimmenz. It was nice though.

-Holland: Amsterdam was beautiful, so was...hmmm denhaag? denhag? can't google right now as I am posting this from my phone. I was only 14 back then so no, I didn't get to try the whacky tabbacy loli-pops... *sniff*

-Luxembourg: it's sooooo awesone. Clean. Quite. Beautiful!

-Switzerland: I was only 5 back then but I can clearly remember how beautiful Genev was back then, I think it was in 1989.

Yeah, that's about it. I also have fond memories of my visits to Hamburg, Munich, Wiesbaden, Köln, Heidelberg, Salzburg, Graz and Strasbourg.

Which would I choose to live in out of all of those countries?

Luxembourg! That place was sooooo dreamy and quite. <3

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Canada is okay, is a nice place to live even if the people labour under some delusions about themselves and obsess about the idiotic sport that is hockey :p

What would these delusions be?

I gotta say, besides the cold weather, I find your country one of the most attractive places to move to. It seems open-minded and polite (maybe because of your president?) and I hear they are encouraging foreign students and young couples to join the country's workforce (to help paying the retirement of the elderly or something).

I live in the northern states of the Americas, born and raised here actually, yep, yes indeedy. Yes indeedly-do. It's pretty great, we have all types of people and some states are just plain better than others. Where I live, English is not the native tongue so I had to adapt to speak english quickly as it is the universal language in the states.

I didn't know there were other native languages in the US besides english. I have to ask: what is yours?

One country I am fascinated with is Iceland. Beautiful place, sparse population, stable economy, tons of outdoor activities. Sounds like my kind of place.

One of the reasons I started this thread was to know if there's any icelander in here to ask how they like living in there. It seems like paradise: very organized, stable and it has beautiful landscapes (there's the extreme cold as well, but maybe I'll get use to it).

• Like 1

I'm also from the USA and I currently live in the state of Colorado but I have lived in about five or so other states both urban and rural. I like it here a lot but it's way too cold in the winter but the other seasons are great. I've never seriously considered moving to another country (I try but I'm terrible at languages and some of those European toilets are mind boggling) though every winter I consider moving to a warmer state though my wife who moved here from the Baltics nearly talked me into moving to Italy after our vacation there a couple of years ago.

My country has its share of issues but it's my country so I feel that they are not a good enough reason to leave it and I've been lucky enough to travel a bit but like LC I don't think that a week or two is enough time for me to know a place enough to be willing to relocate. But there are still many places that I want to go and haven't been yet so my opinion could change.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'd be curious to hear what Icelanders think of their home as well.

Thomas Sowell

I didn't know there were other native languages in the US besides english. I have to ask: what is yours?

Spanish (Mayan dialect so there are some slang all around, as with any version of spanish to it's relative location). If you are wondering where I live it's in Texas, somewhat near the King's Ranch more people here speak spanish than english. With some schools teaching english by default, some teach spanish by default. As you go more north of here, more people speak english or spanglish. Strange but we are a people, yep, we are here :)

There are even a couple of small towns in Texas which exclusively teach Spanish in their schools. It is strange but also pretty cool because it makes us different, also pretty dumb because I like using English. God bless the americas, home of the free. Undiscovered promise. And Mileena Trump.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

1) I live in the USA. I like being able to rolfstomp any other country on the planet but I dislike our rampant social media and the squealers within.

2) I would prefer to live in any "Western" country with a climate that doesnt vary too much from 72-75 degrees. My wife and I have been considering just saying "F-it", cashing out our retirement plans, selling our house, and buying a crib in Mexico near the resort areas. I just need to figure out property taxes and medical / dental.

Y deberias aprender Espanol.

But yeah, that's sort of my retirement dream right now. Although considering that most of my jobs are being outsourced I might outsource myself a bit earlier.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

1 - I live in the USA in North Carolina. For all its faults, the USA is still a great place to live and I'm super happy living in North Carolina. Why? The weather is great year round, the state is beautiful, the economy thriving, and the cost of living is low.

2 - There are a ton of places I want to visit but I have no intention of leaving the USA nor North Carolina. I do want to move a bit west to the Asheville area in the future (I live just outside Charlotte now) but that's still in North Carolina.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I live in Serbia, it's the greatest country in the world, bar none...yep.

It's a nice place to live, and while there are things that could be better I don't think that differentiates it from other countries. I don't think I would like living in countries with higher economic standards, the cultures just seem too different for me (not in a good way) and as for the ones with similar or lower standards I have no interests for the obvious reason.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

What would these delusions be?

I gotta say, besides the cold weather, I find your country one of the most attractive places to move to. It seems open-minded and polite (maybe because of your president?) and I hear they are encouraging foreign students and young couples to join the country's workforce (to help paying the retirement of the elderly or something).

Mainly that we are far better than the US. To be honest, they focus too much on the US and content themselves just being better than the US at, say, healthcare or income inequality. When they should look at whoever is above them and aim for that. But other than that, it's nice, you'll get shafted hard on certain products and the telecom industry here is a cartel no one seems to want to tackle.

As for what country I'd like to live in, I'd have to go with Iceland as well, is a nice place, CCP is there and getting to Europe for vacations is slightly cheaper and easier.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There is one thing I wish I could make Canadians understand:

CFL-Field.jpg

This.... this is.... an ABOMINATION! This is WRONG! Also there are FOUR downs. Got it???? FOUR!

Thomas Sowell

1.- Spain. It's a nice enough place... but Spaniards.

2.- Antarctica isn't technically a country, is it?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Legally speaking or Geologically speaking?

-Italy(Venice, Florence, Bologna, Rome). It was awesome! That was back in 1997...good times. They just have very bad pizzas for some reason.

Lol, you're the kind of people who enjoy pizza with 6 different kinds of meat on top of it?

1.- Spain. It's a nice enough place... but Brits.

2.- Antarctica isn't technically a country, is it?

FTFY

But maybe that was just my experience and I wasn't there long, unfortunately. I'd love to go back for a real tour of the country.

Lol, you're the kind of people who enjoy pizza with 6 different kinds of meat on top of it?

I had a couple decent pizzas there but mostly I just ate whatever the locals recommended and I was never disappointed.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yes, I am exactly 'that kind of people' but I myself enjoy cheese pizza the most.

When it comes to topings though, I prefer 10 kinds of meat to a raw eggplant that is laying there in the middle of my pizza like a dead rat.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I live in the Bay Area of California, and I absolutely love it. The community, the weather, the food, etc. I am very lucky to live here and I try to remember that every day as I run and bike around golden fields and meadows. 

It's unfortunately very expensive to live here, but we make do because we love it and my kids are 7th generation Santa Clara County.

Sometimes we talk about moving to another state. I have no interest in leaving the country. I love the US, despite our ridiculous healthcare. I could see myself being happy in some mountain town in the Southwest, as long as there isn't much snow.