[Class Build] The Iron Hammer (Swashbuckler: Unbroken/Trickster) Updated 3.1.1

Isn't their a fear helm that a Vithrack merchant drops? I was thinking about using it for this build.

The whitewitch mask is normally on my berserker as a "oh sh!t" protection and a visible notification of low HPs. 

I don't think you'll get good use out of the passives on a tank that shouldn't ever hit low hit points in most cases, but you will get good use out of the bonus illusion PLs on a Trickster subclass. Another thing you're giving up is an engagement slot (the Blackened helm has +1 engagement).

Good points!

Is there another shield that can add huge RIposte chance? The one you mentioned is rather hard to get due to faction drop pre-condition.

Also, what about dual wielding with this build? Too much Deflection loss to be sustainable?

Not that I know of, but I haven't delved into the SSS loot yet.

• Like 1

Also, what about dual wielding with this build? Too much Deflection loss to be sustainable?

Somehow I missed your second question:

You could dual wield and still be pretty tanky. However, you may actually see a drop in overall dps (at least on multiple mob fights) because the main synergy of the build is pumping deflection for the 2 ripostes (skill based & the shield's crush riposte) which in turn lowers damage which hits heavy armor which mitigates damage down below the regen ring's threshold; which makes you nigh invulnerable.

Edited by Theosupus
  • Like 1

Somehow I missed your second question:

You could dual wield and still be pretty tanky. However, you may actually see a drop in overall dps (at least on multiple mob fights) because the main synergy of the build is pumping deflection for the 2 ripostes (skill based & the shield's crush riposte) which in turn lowers damage which hits heavy armor which mitigates damage down below the regen ring's threshold; which makes you nigh invulnerable.

And I missed this response somehow, too!

Further, upon testing you may be right: I am only level 8, but this guy does surprising amount of DPS with near-nonstop Ripostes. I was pleasantly surprised!

• 1 month later...

The Iron Hammer

This dwarf’s ancestor spirits aid him in battle by surrounding their progeny while he fights, blurring his outline, confusing, and terrifying, his enemies. He fights defensively and outlasts his enemies by locking them down in engagement and picking his moment for devastating retaliatory attacks. His enemies see a small, slowly advancing, ball of steel, spikes, and a swinging hammer.

This guy can engage what seems like a whole screen of enemies (and gets better the more he engages) and provides persistent distraction to the whole group, making them all flanked and open for deathblows (including his own repostes). If you pair the Iron Hammer with any aoe Rogue, that opening salvo (if you wait for engagement) will be all deathblows.

Game Version: 1.2
Difficulty: PotD (+all Upscale, no mods)
Solo: Untested (You need 20 Per to get the hammer alone).

Race: Dwarf, Mountain
Class: Swashbuckler (Unbroken/Trickster)
Home: Living lands
Background: Doesn’t matter that much but you should want a +alchemy (colonist etc.)

Stats: (I hate missing)
Mig: 14
Con: 10
Dex: 10
Per: 18 
Int: 12
Res: 18

Skills:
Active: Alchemy Max
Passive: History

Abilities (In suggested order of selection):

Disciplined Barrage
Knockdown
Crippling strike
Fast runner
Escape
Fighter stance
Weapon & shield
Confident aim
Blinding Strike
Disciplined strikes
Riposte
Penetrating Strikes
Hold the line
Vigorous defense
Persistent Distraction
Charge
Adept evasion
Mob Stance
Deep Wounds
Superior deflection
Armored Grace
Overbearing guard
Tough
Dirty Fighting
Fearless
Refreshing defense
Rapid recovery, or Bear’s fort

Gear:
Last Word & Akola’s Apex Ward 
Blackened Plate Helm
Token of faith
Blackened Plate Armor
Entonia Signet Ring
Ring of greater regen (or minor deflection)
Boots of the stone
Gwyn’s Bridal Garter
Bracers of greater deflection
The gift bearer’s cloth

Pet:
Abraham (Dog): Reduce armor penalty for player (varies by type) & health on kill party effect.

Consumables:
Potion of Perfect Aim
Potion of Ascension
Potion of Spirit Shield
Potion of Moderate Healing
Mohora wraps, once you got the money, are the best food for this guy (might and action speed) they 0 out armor penalty when combined with Abraham and armored grace.

Is it just me, or do you have too many stat points in your distribution? Are you counting item boosts in your stats?

Is it just me, or do you have too many stat points in your distribution? Are you counting item boosts in your stats?

I have the Racial and Background stats only.

I'll double check that I didn't get a typo in there later.

I count 82 points spent, when I think there is only 78 points available on Character Creation w/o Berath's Blessing stat boost (which provides 90 total, but also bumps up the minimum values allowed).

EDIT: On another note, would you say the Trickster class's Mirror Image is definitely needed to make deflection high enough for ripostes to happen regularly? In addition, have you considered using Xoti's Sickle for the Deflector bonus & accuracy debuff?

Edited by hansvedic

I count 82 points spent, when I think there is only 78 points available on Character Creation w/o Berath's Blessing stat boost (which provides 90 total, but also bumps up the minimum values allowed).

EDIT: On another note, would you say the Trickster class's Mirror Image is definitely needed to make deflection high enough for ripostes to happen regularly? In addition, have you considered using Xoti's Sickle for the Deflector bonus & accuracy debuff?

Somehow I got the stats all messed up; I must've forgot to take some gear off or had some other in game bonuses I forgot about when I screen captured.

Thanks for pointing it out. Updated OP.

I'm going to be testing this build in the current game version next weekend and will update again then.

To your second point. No I did not consider it at the time due to wanting more engagement slots (hammer gets +1 engagement and more damage per enemy engaged, making those ripostes hit hard).  It definitely would make him tougher to hit... possibly a great single target/Boss fight weapon set to use.

Edited by Theosupus
  • Like 1

How i realy get Last Word & Akola’s Apex Ward ?

What lvl can i get this items ?

What is the concept of this build ?

*i am noob, i didnt understand the stratigy of this build..

1. Last Word is looted from an altar in the Sandswept Ruins on the island in the south-west corner of the world map.

--You need to pull all four levers on the nearby pillars at the same time, to gain access to the altar.

OR

--If you have perception of 20+ you can disable all the traps.

2. Akola's Apex Ward is looted from the Huana revenge ship they send at you when you pick another faction in the main quest line.

This build does 4 things:

1. Engages TONs of enemies (acts like a mobile choke point)

2. Stacks deflection so gets missed a lot making him a great tank vs groups of mobs

3. Has two different Riposte skills (the ability based one and the one on the shield) which is an attack that happens each time the person is missed with no recovery needed, which makes him do a lot of dps against groups of mobs missing him.

4. Puts all enemies he has engaged into flanked/distracted = two debuffs so they are vulnerable to deathblows from a rogue (including himself)

It's the perfect tank vs groups of mobs.  Not the best vs bosses but not too shabby either.  I'll make a video of the gameplay next weekend.

Edited by Theosupus

You can also use another shield or weapon.

Great alternatives are:

- Kapana Taga as weapon

and shields like

- Magran's Blessing

- Cadhu Scalth

- Bronlar's Phalanx

Because the crush Riposte of Akola's Apex Ward is pretty wet-noodleish. But optically/thematically it's the best fit for anybody who wears Reckless Brigandine I'd say.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Great alternatives are:

- Kapana Taga as weapon

and shields like

- Magran's Blessing

- Cadhu Scalth

- Bronlar's Phalanx

Because the crush Riposte of Akola's Apex Ward is pretty wet-noodleish. But optically/thematically it's the best fit for anybody who wears Reckless Brigandine I'd say.

If you use the Kapana and bronlar's and change him to a human you'd have a spartan!

Well, i start and play with this build in solo potd up scale and i have some questions:

1. What about the blood rage from the shield ? Its mean the crush damage will not trigger from the start of the combat? If not there is an advice how to start the combat ?

2. The tickster have iilusion spells that can debuff Aoe, there is a way to use that spells to make enemies miss more then regular (I ask it because on the early game low lvl not all the enemies miss me) ?

*maybe there is a spell that fource the enemy flee or run and then they will take disengagement attack ?

Well, i start and play with this build in solo potd up scale and i have some questions:

1. What about the blood rage from the shield ? Its mean the crush damage will not trigger from the start of the combat? If not there is an advice how to start the combat ?

2. The tickster have iilusion spells that can debuff Aoe, there is a way to use that spells to make enemies miss more then regular (I ask it because on the early game low lvl not all the enemies miss me) ?

*maybe there is a spell that fource the enemy flee or run and then they will take disengagement attack ?

-I've never solo'd with this build so I haven't developed any combat start tactics with him specifically.

--The first isle is easy with a party.

-This would probably be too aggravating for me to solo with but I will take an hour and check it out.

Edit: it's already WAY to aggravating to solo fight with this build on the first island.  I think I'll end up sneaking/passively solving it.

Edited by Theosupus

FYI; I was doing some further testing and got a pretty fun "power group" together.

Main group:

1 Iron hammer
2 shadow-dancer (1 hand blunderbuss builds, one with fire in the hole and the other with hand-mortar) 
1 Scout (Mia gun-hawk Arquebus build)
1 Templar (buff-bot/healer build)

On the bench to sub in as needed for boss fights:

1 Witch (Sarafen witch king build)

1 Theurg (Tekehu storm build)

1 Marauder (Crit build, using Amra as main)

That's 3 to 4 people hitting with deathblows constantly and it was pretty funny, Iron hammer locks them down and calls in the artillery. Mia uses the animancer's bow as back up for pierce immune and the two mortars have dual damage type.

Edited by Theosupus

• 1 month later...

Great alternatives are:

- Kapana Taga as weapon

and shields like

- Magran's Blessing

- Cadhu Scalth

- Bronlar's Phalanx

Hrm, taking a look at this for a potential run with it on Eder.

Any thoughts on going Cadhu Scalth / Rannig's Wrath (Insistence, 10% chance to recover immediately when missed in melee) ?

There's also Casita Samelia but that much deflection might end up redundant, I'm not sure what the "effective ceiling" is on deflection overall (I want a character in the party with absurdly high deflection, to see if it can make Defensive Mindweb useful). 

You'd need to equip the Gladiator Sword though.  ;)

It's a shame it doesn't have any additional enchants beyond the basic. It's base enchant is actually perfect for this build, it just doesn't add anything worthwhile beyond it.  Meat with no gravy.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

As much as I love Cadhu Scalth, I'm finding the accuracy penalty a bit much for POTD solo .... maybe it's not as big a deal on a tank.  I've switched to Nerian's Ward / medium sheild modal on my caster multis for solo POTD.

Yeah, since this would be as a tank for party play I figured the rest of the team can balance out the offense. That was part of the reason I was thinking a rapier might be good, too, just for the inherent accuracy bonus.

• 3 months later...

This build is so effective that I was considering building my whole team around it. 3 of these with immunity to flanked gear, Tactician/Wizard for unlimited nukes and maybe a support in the last slot. Ultimately, I've decided against it since I like variety, but I'm running Eder with this setup and he's a monster tank.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2019 at 7:58 PM, Manveru123 said:

This build is so effective that I was considering building my whole team around it. 3 of these with immunity to flanked gear, Tactician/Wizard for unlimited nukes and maybe a support in the last slot. Ultimately, I've decided against it since I like variety, but I'm running Eder with this setup and he's a monster tank.

What gears are there that make you immune to Engagement?!

Edited by Lampros

• 1 year later...