Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

Clerics have like 5 level 9 spells. Eh...

Just finished one of the Bald Hilltop invasions. The first fight in the game (on normal) that I actually had to adapt my cleric's spellbook for, but that's what you get when you face enemies that spam paralyzing attacks at you in a frequency that even the best saving throws can't keep up.

Bonus points for Freedom of Movement being the apparently only buff spell that has no higher level communal offshoot. Le sigh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

"It's also not just one class it's the arcane spell list shared by all wizards and sorcs."

Wizards and sorcerors share the same spell list because the sorcerer is just a different version of the wizard. L0L

And, 12  ninth level spells for one  class is more than enough. Too bad about the lack of spells in certain schools though. That, I agree, was poor planning.

"The last 3.5ish game I played was NWN2 and they had more spells and spells from every school to pick from."

NWN2 was a sequel and had  a bunch of 9th level gifted to it by NWN and its expansions.

Most games don't have a whole bunch of   'epic' level spells. They usually just have a handful. It's not like you can cast a dozen 9th level spells anyways per day.

"but that's what you get when you face enemies that spam paralyzing attacks at you in a frequency that even the best saving throws can't keep up."

L0L No doubt. That's why return the cheese and just use greater shout. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's a testament to the game that I've played it for over 150 hours now even though the loading screens are terrible and plenty (and I thought Pillars was bad) and you can expect anything, really anything to break any time you click on something.

So how many of those 150 hours were spent staring at loading screens and restarting the game? :p

• Like 1

Hm, I know there are a whole bunch of faction quests that turn up, like "finding the pathfinders", "honor and duty" etc, because I had them show in my first attempt at playing the game. However now it's my second run through with the current bug fixes, and although I've reached Pitax,  none of those quests have shown.

I'm pondering if I've missed something, if there's some specific actions you take that cause them to kick off or if its just another weird bug.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now if only someone would sit down and explain irregular verbs to the writing team. How did they not catch a single one during all the proofreading?

In a sentence that starts with an "if" like that, "would" is not preferred. The past tense is. In other words, you mean to say "Now if only someone sat down and...", if you want to speak good English. Take it from one who does.  :no:

Linguistic nitpicking aside, you are indeed quite correct. I have only played through the prologue, but one of the first things I noticed was the less-than-great English. Mind you, there are flaws in Deadfire, too, but nowhere near as glaring. My sense is that they won't ruin Kingmaker, either, but they do appear jarring.

• Like 2

Hm, I know there are a whole bunch of faction quests that turn up, like "finding the pathfinders", "honor and duty" etc, because I had them show in my first attempt at playing the game. However now it's my second run through with the current bug fixes, and although I've reached Pitax,  none of those quests have shown.

I'm pondering if I've missed something, if there's some specific actions you take that cause them to kick off or if its just another weird bug.

If I remember correctly, "Finding the Pathfinders" is activated by a random encounter with a group of Pathfinders during "The Varnhold Vanishing".

...I have some doubts about my grammar now.

• Like 1

In a sentence that starts with an "if" like that, "would" is not preferred. The past tense is. In other words, you mean to say "Now if only someone sat down and...", if you want to speak good English. Take it from one who does.  :no:

Well, as the saying goes, one never stops learning new things. I actually had no idea English has special grammar to express regrets. :aiee:

Edited by majestic

Well, as the saying goes, one never stops learning new things. I actually had no idea English has special grammar to express regrets. :aiee:

Of course I only pointed that out because you were specifically talking about the quality of language in Kingmaker. Otherwise it would have been unnecessarily mean.

Languages are marvelous.

It's a testament to the game that I've played it for over 150 hours now even though the loading screens are terrible and plenty (and I thought Pillars was bad) and you can expect anything, really anything to break any time you click on something.

So how many of those 150 hours were spent staring at loading screens and restarting the game? :p

An awful lot to be honest. My party hauls almost a thousand pounds of consumables around just to be prepared for anything. Every battle I don't need to reload and replay is a blessing. :p

• Like 1

how is being bigger better? objectively.

personally, I can't finish Deadfire, because it's so huge (hell, can't even finish Tyranny). even bigger than that? no thanks. I like my games short and focused (personal preference, of course)

and then there are the Steam reviews of kingmaker, they say the game is utterly broken and unplayable. so... your point?

There were originally two threads about this game, one about the game itself and then this one that was made in the Deadfire forum.

I don't know if the other thread was moved into this one or if whoever bumped this making it into the discussion thread, but there are very few people that have actually talked about the title in the past 20 pages.

The House at the Edge of Time is a mess in my game. I played this character pretty much since release, a few companion quests were bugged (Tristian's never fired after his story part) and most of the master crafters didn't do much of anything.

All in all it could have been worse, I guess. I'm not really looking forward to doing the rest of the House to be honest. I already hated the first map change stint in the First World and this turns it up to eleven.

Anyway, the way the game handles companion quests (if they're not bugged) and their outcome at this point is bluntly put ridiculous and whoever came up with what happens in the First World related to choices you made should be hung upside down from their balls, enchanted with fast healing and flayed by Tsanna while having to listen to Jubilost's ramblings.

Guess Volo was right all along, just go with a custom party. :p

The House at the Edge of Time is a mess in my game. I played this character pretty much since release, a few companion quests were bugged (Tristian's never fired after his story part) and most of the master crafters didn't do much of anything.

All in all it could have been worse, I guess. I'm not really looking forward to doing the rest of the House to be honest. I already hated the first map change stint in the First World and this turns it up to eleven.

Anyway, the way the game handles companion quests (if they're not bugged) and their outcome at this point is bluntly put ridiculous and whoever came up with what happens in the First World related to choices you made should be hung upside down from their balls, enchanted with fast healing and flayed by Tsanna while having to listen to Jubilost's ramblings.

Guess Volo was right all along, just go with a custom party. :p

AFAIK that part of the game is still horrendously bugged. Once you get to Pitax, it looks increasingly unfinished. I quit when the game inisisted I'd lost the Pitax war as what people wrote about the endgame's state in the Steam forum didn't make me feel it was worth ploughing on (I had a crap ton of other bugs going on too, though none of them strictly speaking gamebreaking; I could have even ignored the Pitax bugs destroying my Kingdom since it was on invincible). Even if it wasn't, at this point you are going to be extremely lucky to have not failed several companion quests by the time you get to the end. Also, I feel like there's something badly wrong if people get punished in the endgame for taking companions the game actually provides xDD

• Like 5

nvAeseu.png

This game is one of the best I've played in a long time. Sunk a lot of hours that I didn't have into it. However, having lost to a kingdom event, I restarted on challenging. So far, Challenging isn't too bad. I've had to rethink a few battles and get just the right spells. It is, as it says, challenging. It's not brutal nor is it unplayable. However, that's the rub. I used to like a great challenge in all my fights. Now, I just like having a challenge in a couple of key fights. I think I'll restart on normal again. I know I know, I'm a wimp, but I guess I've become *gasp* a casual player.

χαίρετε

This game is one of the best I've played in a long time. Sunk a lot of hours that I didn't have into it. However, having lost to a kingdom event, I restarted on challenging. So far, Challenging isn't too bad. I've had to rethink a few battles and get just the right spells. It is, as it says, challenging. It's not brutal nor is it unplayable. However, that's the rub. I used to like a great challenge in all my fights. Now, I just like having a challenge in a couple of key fights. I think I'll restart on normal again. I know I know, I'm a wimp, but I guess I've become *gasp* a casual player.

Why don't you just change the difficulty? No need to restart.

nvAeseu.png

I should have. I have this weird quirk where I don't like to change difficulty in the middle of a game. Normally, I just restart. Either that or if something's vexing me, I keep the save at that difficulty and then start a new game the next step down and have fun for a while before going back. In this case, I also wanted to restart because I was debating someone about using Octavia as a rogue or an arcane trickster. I figured I'd see how it works on the other side, so I had some other issues. Also, the portraits completely suck, but I don't want to use a mod on a game that gets (and needs) such constant patching.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

Hotfix 1.016:

"Hello everyone!

Dear pathfinders,
Version 1.1 is almost here! To get ready for it, we are launching an open beta-test. It is going to run for about a week, and anyone who owns the game can participate. All you need to do is switch to the "betatest" branch and enter the code "Ms0SJWRhSRuo". Find detailed info and instructions over here: https://owlcatgames.com/content/beta-test

The test will be first available for Windows users, with Mac and Linux joining them in about 3 days. As for reporting bugs, you will be able to do that via a special button inside the game. We are very grateful to everyone who decides to take part in this test and help us make this game even better! Your feedback and continued support are invaluable to us!

One more thing. We keep receiving a lot of questions and suggestions on the Kingdom Management. True, this is a complicated feature! To clarify it our creative director is preparing the big post describing the kingdom mechanics and some future improvements we are planning to implement in the upcoming releases. This post is under proofreading now and will be available in the beginning of the next week.

Please, be aware of the plot spoilers in the description below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests

• The dialogue with Tristian didn't work correctly at the Capital after the "Betrayer's Flight" quest. Resolution: fixed.
  • The special event which started the second Tristian's quest "Saving Grace" could not be triggered on the Global Map. Resolution: fixed.
  • "An Amusement for the Nobles" quest couldn't be completed correctly if players chose Evil or Chaotic options in the dialogue with Jamel Visser. Resolution: fixed.

Areas

• Kassil Aldori and Shandra Mervey could disappear if Neutral option (alliance with both Jamandi Aldori and Natala Surtova) was selectged during the "Hour of Rage" quest. They also could disappear in some cases after the Capital was upgraded to the "stone" state. Resolution: fixed.
  • The final dialogue with the Stag Lord could not be started if the main character was too far away from the place the Stag Lord died at at the "Stag Lord's Fort" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • The cut-scene where Linzi introduced her book about Pitax Academy could overlap with the cut-scene of Nyrissa's arrival to the Throne room. Resolution: fixed.
  • The romance with Regongar could get stuck in some cases and players couldn't leave the Capital Square or the Capital Tavern. Resolution: fixed.
  • In some cases the party could exit to the Global Map while still being in combat mode. Resolution: fixed.
  • Story events teleporting the main character from the Throne Room could break subsequent cutscenes which led to the game locking up at a later point in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • Certain Athletics check didn't work at the Pitax Royal Palace cellar. Resolution: fixed.
  • Clicking on the table in the Throne Room at certain specific moments could break a cut-scene. Resolution: fixed.
  • The dialogue with Hargulka could be missed in some cases in the beginning of the "Troll Lair" area. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom

• Project to increase Relations rank to 8th didn't appear on the Triumph resolution of "The Wrath of Sevenarches" event. Resolution: fixed. Project is available for the players who missed it.
  • Choosing one of the options in the dialog leading to 9th rank of Arcane led to the broken dialog for 10th rank. Resolution: fixed, players who experienced the broken dialog will be able to replay it.
  • Upgraded buildings didn't provide the stats they should. Resolution: fixed.
  • Special buildings like the "Nethys' Library" weren't considered as corresponding basic building in the building requirements. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics

• Dazzling Display, Dreadful Carnage and Cornugon Smash did not apply effects from the Thug rogue ability Frightening. Resolution: fixed.
  • A companion dialogue could be initiated with the party members under certain control conditions such as "Prismatic Spray". Resolution: fixed.
  • Madness Domain abilities were multiplied after loading a save. Resolution: fixed.
  • Improved Unarmed Strike ability disappeared after party participated at the "Drunken Melee" event at the "Rushlight Fields" area. Resolution: fixed.
  • Cleave, Vital Strikes and other similar abilities still required to go into melee range with the target, even when the wielder was using a reach weapon. Resolution: fixed.
  • Buffs could stay on the characters forever in some cases. Resolution: fixed.
  • Effortelss Armor did not work right after casting it and required reequipping the armor to gain the benefits. Resolution: fixed.
  • Archon's Aura did not work. Resolution: fixed.

Items

• Gyronna's Amulet had Mirror Image issue. Resolution: Mirror Image buff is applied on combat start and ends on combat finish.

System

• The mass loot UI could make the party get stuck in an area in some rare cases. Resolution: fixed.

All fixes from this list will be applied to Release 1.1."

I really like that they are aiming to clarify and revise kingdom management.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Finally finished the game. The last area was an excercise in patience: Extremely slow loading screens, ambushing Wild Hunt monsters and bugs. Like they really tried their damndest to get people to abandond the game just before finishing it.

Not every happy with the game bug-locking me out of the secret ending but eh, I'll just do that after all the patching.

Does anyone know what the value of kingdom scores is, really? I mean, if my community score is 30, 60, or 90, do those numbers actually effect something? So far, nearing the end of chapter 2, they appear to have no particular impact.

Even my economy score doesn't appear to affect how much BP I receive per week. I've watched the score rise significantly, while BP remains the same. Will these numbers become a factor later, or is this something of an unfleshed out feature at this point?

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke