Pathfinder Kingmaker is bigger then Deadfire

Also, I think it was Manveru who said I should make Octavia an arcane trickster. I don't see a huge difference in battles so far, but she's way more generally useful as an arcane trickster. Thought I would give that a shout out.

I fell in love with Arcane Trickster so much that my current MC is one! I did a better job with character creation than OolCat with Octavia though :D Such an amazing caster class.

considering all the excitement with outer worlds and so forth, i feel slightly petty - coming back after a week to get hung up on this - but here we go.

why the fk does the pregen character Hedwirg get a 32 point buy - when all the other pregens and ur custom character get 25 point?

its like owlcat are saying: 'yeah, u can make ur own baron, but we all know this hunky whitebread mans the REAL main character, not ur mary sue, pfft.'

just... why do that? how does something that daft get through development and public beta? did no one stick up their hand and say 'er... lads? maybe just whack his strength down to 18 so peeps dont feel like mugs for wanting to play something other than the lead dev's self insert?'

(okay, so hedwirgs prob not the lead dev's self-insert. but yknow, im struggling for alternative explanations here)

i can sort of understand ur npcs having wonky point-buy totals. dunno if i approve in all cases, but i get it.

this, i dont get. some of owlcats shenanigans i can put down to inexperience. this seems straight up wilful. lol.

• Like 2

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

well they can go fire their canon mc out of a cannon.

anyhoo petty complaint that doesnt really impact game. i only bothered checking bcs i was waiting for my tea to cool.

it just got my back up for being a big ol' unforced error. like im more lenient re: the balance / encounter design gremlins cos that **** is hard. same with the writing issues. editing is crazy time consuming.

but this? no excuse i can see.

i could also mention the optics of giving the masc white dude 'proper' MC status - and better stats than all the other MC options, but *shush*, keep it down, triple. dont need peeps spotting and slotting that open goal.

Guess it goes hand in hand with what i said earlier about them making the straight characters lawful and the bisexual deviants chaotic. whoops.

im not the most outrage-prone pup - its a niche video game, after all, not a government policy - but all this at least warrants an eye-roll and a catty remark.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Most of these build questions don't really matter except for difficulties higher than normal and there's even a lot of leeway on Challenging once you get a few levels under your belt. I do agree about the pregen stuff. Usually, I figure that a few points one way or the other don't matter much, but 32 points is a pretty stiff climb.

Anyhow, I took care of a bunch of stuff. Apparently, I'm working for barbarian equal rights but that doesn't bother me. The former chieftan is an idiot anyway and the new chieftain at least has some brains and prudence. This time around, my kingdom is in much better shape. I still don't make money worth a damn, but I'm finally a king and I rake in over 55 BP a week. I've pumped a huge amount of my own gold into my kingdom, though. Most recent buy was a little over 2500BP so I could clear somethings.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

considering all the excitement with outer worlds and so forth, i feel slightly petty - coming back after a week to get hung up on this - but here we go.

why the fk does the pregen character Hedwirg get a 32 point buy - when all the other pregens and ur custom character get 25 point?

its like owlcat are saying: 'yeah, u can make ur own baron, but we all know this hunky whitebread mans the REAL main character, not ur mary sue, pfft.'

just... why do that? how does something that daft get through development and public beta? did no one stick up their hand and say 'er... lads? maybe just whack his strength down to 18 so peeps dont feel like mugs for wanting to play something other than the lead dev's self insert?'

(okay, so hedwirgs prob not the lead dev's self-insert. but yknow, im struggling for alternative explanations here)

i can sort of understand ur npcs having wonky point-buy totals. dunno if i approve in all cases, but i get it.

this, i dont get. some of owlcats shenanigans i can put down to inexperience. this seems straight up wilful. lol.

I guess, Hedwig is for the people, who haven't played a CRPG before. The character also has a pre-made build (no idea, how good it is, though).

The thing that I strongly dislike is that he's featured on all in-game art (those book illustrations) and that the weapon of choice is a flail, instead of a sword (if you go with the most generic option possible, be consistent with it). I'd prefer, if the illustrations included only companions, because it's easier, than drawing every custom character and less immersion-breaking, than Hedwig.

Edited by Hawke64

But that's cheating. Not everyone is fine with that.

This is always what stops me. I only adjust stats and whatnot after I've finished the game at least once. Probably silly on my part, but I think sometimes it's good to have self-imposed boundaries. (None of this is to be critical of folks who do edits the save files, such as ShadySands.)

χαίρετε

Holy crap! That crown looks goofy as hell, but it's got some pretty sweet stats. What I don't get is this: his crown could sell for 10,000g. The headband of vast intelligence +6 he previously wore could sell for 17,500g. The headband is literally only a third of the benefit of the crown, and that's not even counting the additional buff.

Anyhow, I have this thing I've been doing for years... decades at this point I guess. I don't sell named items, even if they suck or I don't have a character that needs them. I kind of wish that they'd put in some trophy cases to display some of this spectacular junk. The pally only plate mail, for example, does me no good and I don't know if I'll ever find a Paladin joinable NPC. I probably should just offload the lot and buy more BPs.

• Like 3

χαίρετε

Yeah, that's annoying made moreso by the fact that there's tons of stuff in there ranging from named junk, a fluctuating assortment of artefact pieces, and then odds and ends that I don't want to dump but for which I have no known use. Hell, I'm impressed by the library. Let me put some of this stuff into a museum. Of course, I should be able to make use of any piece as needed, but in the interim, it could serve to show off the prowess of my kingdom as well as provide a source of pride and hope for my subjects.

EDIT: And I would also say that it's maddening to have the game ask if I want anything out of my stash when I go into my royal bedchambers to sleep. I know games these days have to pander to every possible sexual behavior, but there's something equally sinister, strange, and dangerous about wanting to bring my assortment of weapons and armor into bed with me.

EDIT 2: I can't kill Jaethal. I decided to back Ennio and it turns out that Jaethal is a new TNO. What the ****? This is stupid. It's game ending. I guess I could just time to leave while she's still getting hacked down by the Phrasmaites and they can stay there for eternity, but this is extremely bad game design. Might be a clever way to end a novel, but allowing the player to get into an endless combat loop is just stupid. Is there something I missed that allows me to finish her off for good, or do I have to reload. What happens if I just leave her there?

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

Aaaand of course the DLC is broken for me

Aaaand of course the DLC is broken for me

Thanks for the heads up, brother! I was thinking of buying it but I'm going to wait until I finish my first run. I reckon it can't be too much longer.

EDIT: Okay, some of these quests are simply not understandable. So, I finished the deal with the devil quest and following the good path (and scrupulously following it) meant slaughtering everyone in sight in the end. On the other hand, they were all evil rat bastards. As Tristan might say, may God have mercy on their souls for I shall not! Weird assed quest, though.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

Yeah, I think I also complained about that quest but there have been a few where I didn't think the alignments matched up very well to the actions. I think this quest bothered me so much because it's more heavy handed in forcing down a certain path by repeatedly giving you options that don't do anything with little to no reason why those options don't work.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Here is the workaround that actually let me play with the DLC

Step by step work around that works, for me it never failed so far to get the DLC working: 

STEP 1:Create a new game or load an old playthrough doesn't mater and make a new clean save, the point is to make sure tha save is the newest one. 

STEP2: exit the game and start it again 

STEP 3: DO NOT CLICK THE NEW GAMES BUTTON or the LOAD GAME BUTTON if you do, the DLC will fail to activate 

STEP 4: click the CONTINUE button and NOTHING ELSE, not even setting 

STEP5: wait for your game to load, and miracle the DLC is active, now you can go back to the main menu, you will notice your screen is much darker, and now you are allowed to click the new game button and the new race and class will be available 

Free games updated 3/4/21